Am I Being Too Picky With my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Radiating, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Radiating, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014

Radiating macrumors 65816

So I just got a brand new space gray iPhone 5S today for a second line. I noticed that the finish of the aluminum on the rear shell didn't match the first space gray 5S I had, it was much more blue and noticeably darker. Worst of all the finish on the sim card tray, volume buttons, lock button, and vibrate toggle were all mismatched, being way lighter like the finish on my first 5S. I showed it to my girlfriend and she said there was something wrong with it too.

I'm feeling pretty disappointed because I got the phone straight from my carrier and can't exchange it.

Am I just being too picky, or does the phone on the left look very defective to anyone else?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I wouldn't be too worried about the tint of the metal, especially because I often put my phones in a case/bumper. Unless it affects the function of the device, or has visible damage, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. But, that's just me.. and I'm happy just to have such an amazing device.

3. easy-peasy macrumors regular

If it was scratched? Sure. But this is being much, much too picky.

You didn't even notice until you compared it side-by-side, meaning it wasn't a big deal to begin with.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you ask yourself that then the answer is yes.

5. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I put mine against the screen to get a comparison… I'm guessing the first 5s is on the left? My 5s color is closer to the one on the left.

I would take it to an Apple store and see if you can exchange it. It doesn't hurt to ask. It could be a defect? Just thinking about all the other Apple products, the colors are always on point. There is no variations.

I'm surprised that the carrier won't let you exchange it. Its not what you order, a slightly discolored iPhone 5s.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

7. blarivee macrumors 6502

The mismatch is so stark. It would have been alright if the volume, power and sim tray matched the aluminum body. Are you still within your return period with the carrier?

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

9. Ann P macrumors 68020

It's definitely two-toned. At first glance I thought it was slate.

10. chabig macrumors 68040

11. Radiating thread starter macrumors 65816

Yep, they're supposed to be both space gray.

12. Achillias macrumors regular

The left one looks better in my opinion, but if it is a faulty colour compared to other iPhone's then I would have traded it in. Or you could just sell it and get a new one.

13. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Its a fault for sure, so its up to you. Send a photo into apple care see what they say. Probably tell you what the carrier would, their not all the same :rolleyes:

14. payne0391 macrumors newbie

To me the phone on the left looks like the slate colour from iPhone 5 but with space grey buttons and sim tray

Id definitely take it to an apple store and get it looked at, you can compare it to the display models then whilst you're with the genius :)

15. Smartass macrumors 6502a

If you're smart you wont exchange it. Go and sell it on ebay as a one of a kind iphone;)

16. I7guy macrumors G5

17. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I like the way it looks. Wish I could find a 5s like that. I'd likely buy it...

18. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

That looks very od. Maybe they painted it to much or something.

19. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I don't understand how anyone can say too picky. Those two side by side ain't even close though I have to admit I have aging eyesight.

20. benoit85 macrumors member

Wow that is pretty odd, if the phone works fine i would hang on to it. It's a nice colour to be honest, i like it!
    Have you got any side by side pics of the back of the phone?

21. jj03 macrumors member

They both look diiferent in color thats obvious, i can understand your frustration and your not too picky at all, you paid money for and you have every right. Only one suggestion if your going to take it to the apple store make sure they exchange you with a brand new Iphone not a refurbished phone. Thats ALL.

22. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I do. Some are only worried about functionality issues. Some are bothered by cosmetic issues like this. People aren't all identical. I wouldn't care about this but if it bothers the OP then the OP should take steps to address it versus polling people with varying preferences and priorities.

23. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I've always imagined space grey being the one on the left..yes I'd be disappointed but tbf I would treat it as a one of a kind! Lol

24. Smartass macrumors 6502a

of course it's a one of a kind, it would be a really dumb move to go back and replace it with a new one so i dont understand WHY would anybody want to replace a phone like this.

25. Merkie macrumors 68020

That's really weird. I don't understand people saying that you're being too picky, I've never seen an iPhone where the color is just... wrong! Really weird.