Am I being too picky?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HappyVirus, Aug 27, 2008.

1. HappyVirus macrumors member

Well, earlier today, I was excited and happy for my first MBP. This being my first Mac computer, I was eager to find out what the Mac World had that excited so many.

Then some things caught my eyes, and I became a bit irritated.

First thing that caught my eye was a dead pixel in the center of the screen. I tried using some of the softwares recommended that could "potentially" get rid of this ugly dead pixel. that...didn't work

Then I saw that the actual laptop doesn't really close "completely"
    When I close the lid, only the middle part (where the latch is) touches the keyboard part of the laptop, but the two sides does not. It seems that the top part of the lid is somewhat shaped like this ( so that only middle/latch part is touching the bottom...

Visuals...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Are those minor things that I should ignore and get over with?

This is especially getting to me since I pulled the trigger to buy the MBP now and didn't wait for the "update" that was to happen soon. In hindsight, maybe I should have waited :p

Any opinions? Thanks

2. heron88 macrumors 6502

3. sulhaq macrumors regular

sulhaq

That is a huge gap. Almost looks like a defect in design. To top things off there shouldn't be any dead pixels in a new product. You're definitely not being picky. Get a replacement.

4. HappyVirus thread starter macrumors member

so...do I just walk into a Apple Store and just "politely" ask for a replacement?

Sorry I haven't bought a "pre-made" computer in a while...:p

5. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

Just go to where you bought it, or to an apple store, tell them the problem, remind them it's under warranty, and ask for a replacement. They shouldn't give you any trouble.

6. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

7. HappyVirus thread starter macrumors member

I bought it online (Apple.com)...^^

So I can just go to the nearest Apple store for that.
    Right?

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You're not really picky, but for that gap:

1) Open the lid.
    2) Use left hand and hold the lid where the iSight is. Don't push on the screen too hard.
    3) Take right hand and hold the right corner.
    4) Bend said corner towards you. Flex it slowly, not big forceful motions.
    5) Repeat on other side if needed.
    6) Computer lid should now be flush.

Now you might ask why settle for a defective computer? Well it's not defective, it's aluminium which means it will bend.

However, for the dead pixel, go back and pack everything back in the box and say you want an exchange for said reasons -- Genius and/or manager will take a look -- replacement issued.

9. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

10. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Take it to apple. They are very good at customer service.

And if you play with the MBPs at the apple shop none of them close like that.

11. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Well I'd replace it but then again I'm def "too picky" myself.
    If it wasn't for the dead pixel I'd say just keep it if you can live with it. The fact is, the gap won't affect its performance & comps are tools afterall. Why I say this is keep in mind the guy here who was indeed too pickey & replaced his laptop only to go through hell and have to get 4 or 5 replacements (most which were far worse in many ways to his original problem). He then said he wished he never replaced the original as he was waiting for a 6th replacement or something like that. Considering you have two problems I'd say replace it, I would.

12. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Heh, gotta make a decent advertisement that's why.

But yeah, Aluminum bends, so that's not all too much to worry about.

13. nick9191 macrumors 68040

They are made out of Aluminium. Aluminium is a soft material and will bend. This is not a defect, you will be hard pushed to find a MBP that does not have this issue.

The dead pixel is a defect however does not warrant a replacement, anything I believe under 4 dead pixels does not warrant a replacement.

Saying that they will likely replace it, because, well they replace anything. You think they would tighten up on their customer service. They must be losing millions.

14. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

lol, no way - they sell a mbp for £2000 - how much do you think it costs them (they buy bulk in the MILLIONS of components.)

;)

15. paulhannon macrumors member

One of the fans in my MBP makes a really annoying buzz! You guys think they might change it for me? As in replace the fan??

16. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I didn't mean that as in making a loss.

By the way where are you paying £2000 for a MBP, they cost £1299.

If they sell a MBP for £1299, someone takes it back, they fix it and sell as refurbished for £999, they have lost £300 profit. So worldwide they must be losing millions.

17. chariotofFIRE macrumors member

Are you really this gullible?

I would return for a new replacement only because of the dead pixel.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, you are not being too picky. You have just paid a lot of money for a top of the range computer, and you deserve - and are legally entitled - to be able to use that product without any problems. Take it back to Apple, point out the problems, and request a replacement. It is still under warranty, so that should not be a problem. My experience of their customer service is very good. Cheers and good luck

19. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

This is exactly how I fixed mine. Just a little gentle bending made it completely flat.

20. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

My MBP doesn't close properly either. Its been like that since I got it. I'm not really that fussed about it though. Its only ever closed and out of sight when I'm not using it.

Dead pixel would piss me off though ;)

pac

21. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Yes you are (being too picky). My MBP is similar to yours with a visible gap when closed. Since you are within the return period you may want to go back to the store and get an exchange (which I think is a waste of time since your replacement unit maybe the same or worse).

22. elmz macrumors regular

I agree, you are not being picky, that is terrible. That is not the way it should be, especially right out of the box, I would take it to your nearest Apple store.

I've had 2 MBP's in the course of 4 years, and not of mine had a gap like that. I'm not sure exactly if they will replace it, but at the price you paid, I would at least take it in and see what they say.

23. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

24. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

£1299 try maxing it out with software and hardware.

I manage a music venue, the alcohol and other stuff we sell here we sell for 74 - 78% profit (we buy bulk 1,450 Kg beer is a weekly order + boxes)

apple will be on about 90% profit + they buy or make millions of components = HUGE Saving.

To be fair to make 1 MBP for apple it will cost around £200 (maximum) probably less.

so replacing 6 MBP's for one user would still give them £99 profit.

(none of the figures above are perfectly correct i use for examples.)