am i being unreasonable? poll

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glassx, Sep 15, 2009.

?

what do you think?

1. yes it was wrong

53 vote(s)
    79.1%
  2. no it's ok

14 vote(s)
    20.9%
  1. glassx macrumors member

my brother and his wife are having a baby, the baby shower was at my house (30+) guests. during the party his wifes brother took it upon himself to go upstairs to the spare bedroom and use my computer without permission. i feel this is inappropriate and rude, do you agree or disagree?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I mean it's not right, but it's your brother, I'm not sure that two adults of the same family need to have a war over it.

3. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I agree, that is inappropriate.

I am also amazed whenever I'm reminded that not everyone uses password protection on their screen saver.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's certainly bad manners. Next time, log out.

5. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I don't think it's right, but I don't think it's a big deal.

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Eh, its certainly not polite, but is the computer your personal one or do you and your wife share it? Either way, are you good friends?(if its also your wifes computer, are they close?)

Not the end of the world, although not the nicest thing to do IMO

7. glassx thread starter macrumors member

Sorry if I did not word this right, it is my personal pc. And the offender is the brother of my brothers wife

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's definitely annoying and rude when someone accesses your computer without asking--considering how much personal info is on there. It's probably not worth making a big deal over but you really should password protect your computer at all times. At least this time it was someone you knew who probably wouldn't steal your identity. A thief could just as easily access your data while you're at work or something. Be more cautious next time.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

not his brother, his brother's wife's brother..

yes it is rude. another reason to have a passcode to log in

i started doing that on mine when i was in college and i would go in my dorm room and people would be using my computer

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Yes it was wrong, but gives you a good reason to password protect your computer now. I learned my lesson the hard way by being the only one in my college dorm with a computer and trying to be a nice guy and let my two of my roommates use it use it. Getting woke up on a Saturday morning by the police knocking at my door asking who owned the computer...I was the owner aka the default go to person to focus on when a crime was committed on it( telecommunications harrassment ). Lucky for me, I was out with my other roommate during the time the incident occurred.

11. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I'd be more upset with the idea that he was just tooling around the house, checking out different rooms and what not.

At my place, if a door is closed, then you are not allowed in.

To me something like that is a big deal, but one that can be alleviated with an apology.

12. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Mine they would not have even figured out how to turn the screen on, It's not like everybody knows how to deblank a hackintosh's screen:D

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Your brother and your brother-in-law are different. Yeah, it's something that at least deserves a discussion, but you should lock it, even if it is your home PC.

14. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

If he had asked I think it would have been fine, but he did not so he should have not.

15. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I agree with that. (unless it's a bathroom)

If it was your brother it would've been more acceptable, but since you are only related to this guy through marriage it's definitely not polite. It's shouldn't be made into a huge deal, but if I'm in someone else's home, I would not go through/use their personal things, especially a computer, without asking first.

16. MasterDev macrumors 65816

Usually it's nice for people to ask. I always do. But then again, I bring my laptops everywhere I go.

17. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

yeah I would just put a password on your laptop, I've had one since I got my first laptop in 9th grade a few years ago, people ask me about it but it's just one of those things I hate when people get on and start surfing the internet or doing other stuff.

18. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Well, depends on the situation. It's not as clear cut if he knew it was a spare bedroom and didn't know it was a personal computer that was for someone else's sole use.

I mean, in an average spare bedroom, things in there are generally for guest use. Now if it clearly was a private bedroom, that's for sure egregious to invade that privacy. But a spare bedroom?

I see others has already suggested a screensaver password/lock. There is one other thing you may also want to do -- whenever guests are around, put a note on the monitor explaining this is a private computer and to please contact you requesting permission to use it. That way, in the future, there won't be any doubt or confusion over if it's a "public" computer or not.

Or set up a screensaver message saying that. :)

19. andrewsd macrumors 6502

ya

I think have to agree with the op.. It is rude. I password protect my laptop and my chick thinks it's because I have something to hide from her. I don't but it's a laptop and I take it with me a lot and many hands could possibly come across it so of course I want to have a little protection.

20. glassx thread starter macrumors member

The room is not really a bedroom, it has the pc, a futon, small tv and printer. If it was a mac it would have not been as bad but it was a vista pc with no virus/spyware protection. For now on I am going to put a password on the login and lock it when I am not using it

21. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I want to hear from the 7 people who already said it was okay. I'm just curious, not trying to start something.

My opinion, yes it was a bit rude regardless if it was password protected or not. At least, say "hey man, do you mind if I check my email". Just my four cents.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think it was inappropriate, maybe not rude.

I'd not make too big of a deal about it especially now. Sounds like she's hooked on something and needed to get her online fix somehow.

As an aside, whenever I host something I generally lock the computers so they can't get access - unless they ask. That has happened but in those circumstances, it was fine.

23. ethical macrumors 68000

He's not even the OP's brother-in-law.... just an indirect family member.

I think it is very rude, the worst part being that if the party was going on downstairs (I assume it was), that the guy decided to go for a look around upstairs, and into the rooms. I wouldnt make a fuss about it now, but if you have the same group over again, perhaps mention it to your brother and his wife.

ohhh.... and put a password on your mac :p or a net that catches such people.

24. tooz macrumors 6502

25. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

Personally I would feel violated if I was put in the same position. Regardless he should have never gone into any other rooms period let alone use your computer. I would have bitten his head off. That really is low and I feel for you.