Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Can any of you give personal examples of how Google has been evil with your data?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
True, but they only make money off of the hardware and not your information. They could still be evil about it, but Google sort of has to be evil about it. Their business model is that you are the product and the advertisers are the customers. Same as Facebook. I'm constantly shocked when I ask someone who gets in this type of debate with me. I ask, "Who's Googles customers", and they reply ,"I am!" Just like the cattle think they're being fed free food by their servants I guess....
They certainly don't only make money from hardware and certainly your information gets used as well (they do have iAds). So, while degrees of what gets used and how might differ, we are still both the customers and products to pretty much all of these companies.

macgeek88

Suspended
Jan 16, 2013
Illinois
I trust Apple more than Google.

Right now I'm using a mix of iCloud and Microsoft's services. I use Microsoft for mostly everything (email, contacts, calendar, storage, video/audio chat, search) and iCloud for extra things (photos and drive mostly). I had my email on iCloud but the web interface killed it for me. And Outlook offers push too, and soon might be offering better desktop support so it was a no brainer.

I just moved away from Google entirely last month and deleted my account. I think Apple's more trustworthy than Google or Microsoft, but Microsoft seems more trustworthy than Google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.