Am I eligible for $200 replacment?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macingman, Aug 26, 2011.

1. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Hi.
    The lock button on my iPhone 4 broke randomly. So I decided to try and repair it myself, by clearing dirt out of lock button and if that didn't work, lock button replacement (I have done repairs before so thought it wouldn't be to hard, I also had all the correct tools). However something went wrong during the repair and the screen, home AND lock buttons are broken, obviously spending money on a repair is stupid with all the new phones coming out soon so I won't do that. So my question is, will Apple replace my iPhone 4 under the $200 out of warranty policy even if I broke it while repairing it myself? The iPhone is also missing 1 or 2 screws inside of it which I didn't bother putting back in once I realised the iPhone screen was broken (Lost the screws since). So will Apple let me use the $200 replacement thing?

I tried googling and searching around here and still couldn't find a straight answer for my question. Thanks alot.:confused:

2. iFiend macrumors 65816

/thread

3. macingman thread starter macrumors 68020

macingman

How? All I want to know is whether or not Apple will give me a refurb for $200 in my situation.

4. iFiend macrumors 65816

I bolded the portion of your question that makes this thread not needed.

Short answer - no

Long answer - no, they won't.

5. err404 macrumors 68020

Technically you are not eligible. Still, take it to the store and explain the situation. I wouldn't be surpassed if they allow the $200 repair.

BTW - Apple's issue is that people will try take advantage of a refurb policy to get a 'new' iP4 to sell right before the iP5 launch.

6. iFiend macrumors 65816

Apple's issue is that they don't want to offer a replacement, for any price, due to the customer trying to fix it themselves, and clearly making it worse.

7. macingman thread starter macrumors 68020

macingman

Ah dam* it. Guess it's android for me. Really disappointed in Apple this time 'round.

8. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Disappointed in apple?! :confused:

9. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Did you bring it to the apple store? They're usually willing to help you out if you're honest about what happened.

10. macingman thread starter macrumors 68020

macingman

Mostly disappointed in myself for trying to do the repair myself and failing. Disappointed in Apple a bit because I've become accustomed to them helping me out when I get into a sticky situation like this.
    I'll take it in when I get the chance, there are only 3 stores in my city so it is hard to get an appointment.

11. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

seriously? theres only one in my state.. and they're pretty easy to make the appointment

you do not deserve a replacement phone, even at the $200 cost

12. Krandor macrumors 6502

You tried to repair it and made it worse and it is Apple's fault? If you had taken it in before you tried to repair it you would have gotten the $200 replacement or maybe even a free replacement if you got a nice genius.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Like you breaking a phone and expecting a replacement for it? I've always had stellar CS from Apple, except when the problem is actually caused by me, which is understandable.

14. macingman thread starter macrumors 68020

macingman

Dell helped me out when I fried my GPU from overclocking on my Alienware.

*I am starting to sound like a troll, so I better stop*. Thanks for your help everyone.

15. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

This thread should have never been made.

16. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Funny how you're disappointed in them when you haven't bothered trying them yet... especially when, if you had gone there in the first place, you wouldn't be in the spot you're in now.

17. thespazz macrumors 6502a

What's going on here? This would be considered an out of warranty replacement.

You voided your warranty, so your device is out of warranty. Go get it replaced, damn.

18. 808? macrumors 6502a

Exactly.

19. iFiend macrumors 65816

False

20. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

You didn't even read the statement. The warranty is void. Therefore it will be $200. Simple.

21. LoganT macrumors 68020

Don't worry, iFiend just thinks he's really cool for using one word statements.

----------

This seems to make the most sense to me. People get their iPhones replaced when they drop them for 200 dollars.

22. macingman thread starter macrumors 68020

macingman

A big thanks to the people which were mature enough to actually give me an honest answer and help me out. I am going into the store on Sunday and will post here how it goes.

I have done some research and the only thing that can void an out of warranty replacement is if the phone is in several pieces, my phone is in one piece aside from 2 screws so I should be fine. I hope I am because I really want my iPhone 4 to last me all the way until the iPhone 6 at least.

23. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

^^
    Not sure why it took so long for the simple answer to your question. If you were asking for warranty service, well that would be a different story. But you broke the phone and just want a replacement and an out of warranty replacement is offered for $200--pretty simple answer and I'm glad you finally got it. :)

24. macingman thread starter macrumors 68020

macingman

No where did I say it was Apple's fault. I was just confirming whether or not I was eligible for a $200 replacement, which I am. The screen probably isn't even broken, it's probably a loss connector but I don't want to touch it any more.

25. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I would bet Apple takes care of you on Sunday ... good luck