Am I eligible for the subsidized pricing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbwinkle, Jan 20, 2009.

1. bbwinkle macrumors member

Hey guys,

I've had a 16GB iPhone since last February but due to it recently having "corrosion" and Apple deciding not to help me out, I'm considering just buying a 3G. My question is, since a replacement for my iPhone will run me the same cost as the subsidized price or more, can I purchase a 3G for the refurb price or the 199/299 pricing?

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    How are we supposed to know if you can get it for the subsidized price? You have to sign/extend your at&t contract by two years. Refurbs will occasionally appear in the online store, you can get one if you are lucky.

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Doesn't having an iPhone 1st gen already qualify him for an unsubsidized price? That's what I was told when I lined up for 3G before.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Having a 1st Gen iPhone automatically qualifies you for an iPhone 3G. Apple and AT&T made that point very clear to people.

6. dave006 macrumors 68020

This is not quite as clear cut as you state in your post.

We really need more details from the OP concerning his contract status with AT&T. Since the OP used the magic words "corrosion" aka water damage! Does the OP currently have a contract with AT&T and what is the contract in good standing?

Base Rules:

1. If you are an existing AT&T customer that had an original iPhone on or before July 11, 2008 then yes you would qualify if you had not purchased another subsidized phone between your iPhone and the new iPhone 3G. Some individuals were caught short by this issue since they had already used their "handset" upgrade.

2. If you are a new AT&T customer or adding a new line of service then you qualify.

Dave

7. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It doesn't matter if his first gen is corrosion damaged. He still owns an iPhone with an iPhone plan to it making him elegible nonetheless. Just show them the iPhone and you them your account, they do not need to or don't check if the iPhone is 100% working.

9. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Not true, only thing matters is that your account shows your eligible. Physically bringing in a phone won't change your eligibility.

10. Poat84 macrumors 6502

Poat84

i cant wait any longer for my white iphone. I've been waiting since December and its driving me crazy. I will be picking it up about Feb. 7th.:D

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That's why I said bring your phone and show your account has an iPhone plan on it.

12. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Again it won't matter. If your account isn't eligible for subsidized pricing, Apple won't be able to do anything. But according to some, AT&T corporate store can, apparently they can negate what the system says.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Apple and AT&T said that if you account shows an iPhone plan and you have an iPhone, you are eligible. How do think many people who owned the 1st Gen got the 3G at $199??

14. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Cite the source then.

People who owns first gen prior to July 11th are indeed eligible for 3G at subsidized price and their account status reflects that. If your account doesn't reflect eligibility, then it won't matter what you bring into the store. They can't change the system, how can they offer you discount price.

15. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Why argue about it here? Here's an idea ask the people at AT&T, I'm sure they will know and guess what their opinion is the only one that matters, not some guys on a forum.

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

1st Gen owners include people prior to Jun 11th, thats a given. Having an 1st Gen iPhone today and trying to update tomorrow won't make you eligible.

17. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

So what's your point? I said to check online and that's it.

18. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

+1

In case you don't know how to do it, on the main page of your "My wireless" acccount (which you log into to pay your pill), there is a "My device" section that shows a picture of your phone. In this area there is a link to check your upgrade eligibility. It will tell you whether or not you are eligible, and if not, when you will be.