Am I foolish to buy an Ipad now?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rhyno37, Dec 31, 2011.

  1. Rhyno37 macrumors regular

    Jul 23, 2011
    After selling my MBP (Overkill for just web browsing and some note taking), I started to look towards tablets, namely the Ipad 2. I will be starting back at college January 16, and figure I should get something soon. I was just about to purchase one, but didn't realize they had been out for about 9 months now, so I hesitated and didn't. After doing some research, I have 2 questions.

    Most are predicting the release date to be around Jobs' birthday in February, even thing large stock wouldn't be shipping until March, correct?

    If I were to buy an Ipad 2 now (16gb or 32gb Wifi only), how much should I expect it to depreciate when the Ipad 3 comes out? How much were Ipad 1's selling for when the 2nd came out?
  2. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a


    Apr 7, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Not sure how much it would depreciate really. I would hold off if you can or just get one know and expect roughly a $200 loss of whatever model you choose. That would be my guestimate. ;)

    Best of luck! Personally, I would buy one now and sell later. If you can wait though, wait.
  3. bwiissofly macrumors 6502

    Jul 4, 2007
    I'm waiting. I feel like a new one will be out in a couple months.
  4. seong macrumors 65816


    Feb 11, 2010
    If you REALLY need to for something, like traveling overseas, etc, then go ahead and buy one.
    However, if you can live without an iPad (which I'm assuming you've had until you sold your Macbook Pro) and stick with someone's PC or something, then it would be worth waiting. I bought mine in late October, and haven't regretted buying it since then.
    If you are like me, who want to try out the latest and best tech gadgets, you can buy one right now, happily use it for next two or three months, buy the iPad 3 and sell iPad 2 to your relative or friends (eBay, perhaps?)

    To answer your question about how much iPad 2 and 1 will cost when iPad 3 rolls out..... I'm guessing iPad 2 will sell at around 300~399 and iPad 1 for around 100~300 (depending on the condition of the device that is nearly three years old.)
  5. dischNoutTAspd macrumors regular

    Jun 16, 2010
    If you have can go burn get the 2, keep it in mint condition and sell before the 3 is released . I have the 2 and will be selling as soon as I hear a release date for 3 . if the 3 doesnt have a retina display I will keep the 2
  6. Virgo macrumors 6502a


    Jun 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    the first iPad came out less than 2 years ago.
  7. LeeM macrumors 6502a

    Jan 1, 2012
    I've just bought an iPad 2 last week. I was considering holding out for the 3 but once I'd decided I wanted one I didn't want to wait and it was bought within a week. Plenty of people are still buying them, they were out of stock in a lot of places I tried
    The great thing about apple stuff is that they're still always worth a fair bit so if its worth the upgrade I'll sell this and put not much more to it for a 3 once the initial rush has died down. Although I'm very happy with this one so I'll be in no rush.
  8. vitzr macrumors 68030


    Jul 28, 2011
    1) You're never foolish for following your own decisions.

    2) Buying now is good, since the iPad 2 is a very nice model.

    3) Waiting is no longer the assurance of a "better" Apple product like it once was. The last two years of huge iPhone bugs proves that.

    4) Antennagate & Batterygate are proof positive that Apple's rushing products to market before they're ready.

    The lack of overwhelming customer push back has validated Apple's reduction in quality & functionality. A trend that is like that of just any mainstream corporate entity. Apples all about volume and profit. Nothing more, nothing less.
  9. mantic macrumors 6502a

    Mar 30, 2007
    If you don't need it, wait. However, the iPad 2 is a great product. I will likely forgo the upgrade unless there is something truly spectacular about the iPad 3.
  10. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

    Jul 20, 2011
    We just bought one a couple of days ago, and are very happy with it. If you have a specific need for it (we want to use it in Trade Show exhibits of Keynote presentations), and you have the means to get it, and you REALLY don't know what's coming out for an iPad 3 or when (it's not called MacRumors for nothing), go ahead and get the iPad 2 and enjoy it, and whatever comes out later... comes out later.
  11. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a


    Oct 4, 2008
    My advise would be to get a 2nd hand/refurbished iPad 1. It'll fulfil your needs for a few months until the iPad 3 is announced. At this point, you can make the decision whether to go with the iPad 2 or 3 and your iPad 1 will have depreciated very little.
  12. macbookair1 macrumors newbie

    Dec 28, 2011
    Wait for the ipad 3. If you buy the ipad 2 now, when the ipad 3 comes out with all these new features you will be sad.
  13. Rhyno37 thread starter macrumors regular

    Jul 23, 2011
    Will the Ipad 3's be at the same price points as the Ipad 2's.
  14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

    Feb 4, 2008
    I wouldn't say foolish, but you're going to be spending an extra $150 at least compared to when the iPad 3 drops.

    When the iPad 2 came out, it was easy to find iPad 1 models starting at $350. One of the rumors I have seen will have the iPad 2 continued when the iPad 3 comes out, but at a reduced price to compete with cheaper tablets -- think Kindle Fire. Now I doubt it will be $200, but $350 wouldn't shock me at all. If Apple really wants to play rough, you might see a $299 iPad 2.

    I'm assuming the iPad 3 will have the retina display and a better camera. Aside from that, who knows. The main "drawback" I have seen on my iPad 2 has been the sheer amount of spoiled I am with the iPhone 4/4S retina display. To me, this is a huge reason to wait if I were you. If you MUST have something for school, then I get that. But otherwise, hold off as long as possible.
  15. vitzr macrumors 68030


    Jul 28, 2011
    Not necessarily. Newer is not always better as Antennagate & Batterygate have proven.

    Apples an unknown quantity now with their change in operations. Once it was quality over quantity. Now they've got themselves hooked on money over everything. Selling as a mass marketeer they've allowed quality to decline. Their brilliant sales job has new people convinced that as long as it has the holy Apple logo, nothing else matters. :)
  16. MythicFrost macrumors 68040


    Mar 11, 2009
    Antennagate wasn't anywhere near as big of a deal as it was made out to be, and what's battery gate?

    Quantity over quality? I don't think so. They've not got one product line which isn't good quality.

    The iPad 3 will be much better and is worth the wait regardless of whether you intend to buy one or not since you'll be able to pick up a cheaper iPad 2, either second hand or refurbished by Apple.
  17. Liquinn Suspended

    Apr 10, 2011
    True true.

    I'm waiting for the iPad 3.

    I want the retina display; if not, I'll probably forget about buying it.
  18. DoN7B1ink macrumors newbie

    Nov 6, 2011
    Get a blackberry playbook i sold my ipad 2 and got blackberry playbook, couldnt be happier its a bit smaller but didnt really bother me also has great multitasking.
  19. Rhyno37, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012

    Rhyno37 thread starter macrumors regular

    Jul 23, 2011
    Since I work at bestbuy I can get the buyback program for little, and get 50% back on an Ipad 2 when the 3 comes out, is that a good deal or would I be able to sell it for more? I'm thinking get an open item ipad 2 ($425 with discount, since I work at Customer Service, I know which ones are good and bad), keep it till school gets out around May 1, then get an Ipad 3 since they should be in stock by then.
  20. marktuk macrumors member

    Dec 27, 2011
    I bought an iPad 1 with intention of keeping it a year, and then getting the iPad 3, it just seemed silly to get an iPad 2 on finance etc. if the iPad 3 was going to come out in the not so distant future. I'll probably wait longer than you though, and get the iPad 3 towards the end of next year, once they've ironed out all the wrinkles. As others have said, the main feature is rentina display, if it hasn't get that I would reconsider buying one...
  21. seong, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012

    seong macrumors 65816


    Feb 11, 2010
    My bad, bad math. Was thinking that by the time iPad 3 comes out, it would be the third year since the iPad 2 came out (yearly updates.)
  22. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

    Jan 3, 2012
    The iPad 3 may not directly replace the iPad 2. Some rumors are claiming that it will be a 7" model with retina display. So you have to ask yourself, would you be comfortable with a 7" screen as your main "computer"?
  23. phpmaven macrumors 68040


    Jun 12, 2009
    San Clemente, CA USA
    I don't know where you heard that one, but there's no way in heck that they're are going to replace the current form factor with a 7" version. They may come out with a smaller iPad, but it would be a additional model.
  24. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

    Amazing Iceman

    Nov 8, 2008
    Florida, U.S.A.
    It's also a great dead end product, no matter how great it multitasks. At least it's inexpensive enough to have it while waiting for the iPad 3, then get rid of it.
  25. tanboom macrumors member

    Aug 19, 2011
    With apple you never know - who can assure you that iPad 3 will be out within a couple of months. Don't you remember the iPhone dilemma- they made us wait for 4-5 months for 4S (although everyone was expecting 5). My take will be buy now and sell iPad 2 when 3 is there !!!

Share This Page