Am I getting charged for using aGPS ? (data use)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cudo, Sep 5, 2009.

1. cudo macrumors regular

Hi , is iphone using me data connection while navigating ? Say I got allowance of 1GB per month and is any , while using MobileNavigation App, of this data used ?

or iPhones GPS is not associated with internet ?
    cheers

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

using google maps or AT&T navigator will use data to download maps, but apps such as TomTom and Navigon, no it won't

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You don't say what app you are using. It all really depends on whether the map data is stored locally or not. Some navigation systems rely on a data connection to download maps because they do not store the 1GB+ of mapping data locally.

4. britboyj macrumors 6502a

5. cudo thread starter macrumors regular

im using NAVIGON MobileNavigator Europe app, will it use data connection ?

6. cudo thread starter macrumors regular

Żarów

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Navigon stores maps locally, so no, you will not be charged for data.

8. cudo thread starter macrumors regular

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I have to add a caveat to this. While the application will not be using huge amounts of data for downloading maps, the iPhone's aGPS system does download a small amount of data from the aGPS assistance servers to help it locate currently visible satellites. That's the "a" in aGPS. This should only be a few kilobytes, as far as I know, and should only happen once per session.

10. firewood macrumors 604

Test it yourself.

Turn off Location Services, wait a few hours for the GPS satellites to move in/out of range, reset your usage statistics in Settings, then turn on Location Services, get you position from your Nav app, and see how much data the phone downloads to update the current satellite info by checking the usage statistics.

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Using the aGPS will consume your data allowance. The reason is the the aGPS depends on server to download satellite information faster in order to triangulate your position. Once it locks you it, the chip can hold on it's own, but initially and whenever needed it will call on the server to get the right info. It's not much data being consumed, but it's worth maing note of it.