Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cudo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
In my head.
Hi , is iphone using me data connection while navigating ? Say I got allowance of 1GB per month and is any , while using MobileNavigation App, of this data used ?

or iPhones GPS is not associated with internet ?
cheers

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
using google maps or AT&T navigator will use data to download maps, but apps such as TomTom and Navigon, no it won't

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
You don't say what app you are using. It all really depends on whether the map data is stored locally or not. Some navigation systems rely on a data connection to download maps because they do not store the 1GB+ of mapping data locally.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I have to add a caveat to this. While the application will not be using huge amounts of data for downloading maps, the iPhone's aGPS system does download a small amount of data from the aGPS assistance servers to help it locate currently visible satellites. That's the "a" in aGPS. This should only be a few kilobytes, as far as I know, and should only happen once per session.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Test it yourself.

Turn off Location Services, wait a few hours for the GPS satellites to move in/out of range, reset your usage statistics in Settings, then turn on Location Services, get you position from your Nav app, and see how much data the phone downloads to update the current satellite info by checking the usage statistics.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Using the aGPS will consume your data allowance. The reason is the the aGPS depends on server to download satellite information faster in order to triangulate your position. Once it locks you it, the chip can hold on it's own, but initially and whenever needed it will call on the server to get the right info. It's not much data being consumed, but it's worth maing note of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.