Am I missing something about the InvisibleSHIELD?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Sankersizzle, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Sankersizzle, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Hey guys,

I got an InvisibleSHIELD screen protector for my new 4S, and I hate it. The only reason I got one is because it is literally the only screen protector that said it was non matte (antiglare). I have also seen people raving about it on here. I got BestBuy to install it for me, and it was installed right but the texture is different and it looks kind of orange peely and has definitely makes the screen look worse. Has anyone else used one of these? I've just put it on an hour ago, do you think it will "cure" like the dude at BestBuy said? I literally almost died when I saw them spray that power support liquid on the phone then squeegee it off...

I got a budget screen protector with my last case, and that was AMAZING. It was like it wasn't even on the phone. People always used to say "I can't believe you're not using a screen protector!"

Why have protectors like this disappeared? Why is every protector anti glare now? Even this so called invisible shield is textured. If you guys know of a protector that is actually invisible, please let me know. I'm still trying to keep an open mind about this InvisibleSHIELD though.

2. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

There are hundreds of topics on this very forum that answer your question. Please search because it is not worth starting another thread for this question. The invisible shield is NOT invisible and will not cure to be invisible. There are crystal style ones that ARE. Search.

3. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I had one and kept it on for 3 or 4 days. It "cured" as far as the micro bubbles go, but the weird texture never did. I removed it after the 4th day.

Personally I think the Power Support anti-glare is a much better product as far as visibility goes and is compatible with the retina display. I guess it doesn't protect as well against damage as the Invisible Shield. But really, if something is hitting the screen that hard, it will probably break anyway.

4. toasty hoodie macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

Invisible Shield is a horrible screen shield. Some people swear by them, but the texture is awful to many.

5. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I don't think i have seen a completely invisible screen protector yet, although i do have to agree that the invisible shields are textured but i like it.

6. Sankersizzle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Thanks for confirming my suspicions, guys. I'll give it a few weeks to see if I like it. The screen view quality doesn't seem to have diminished, and I guess everything else like the texture is just a personal thing. I noticed in SDColorado's link that these are apparently ultra see thru and non textured. Thanks for bringing them to my attention!

[​IMG]

7. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

All wet install screen protectors are horrible. They all have a rubbery texture and orange peel to them. I like them as a back protector though as they add grip.

8. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Can you post a photo of it just for us to see? Do you remember the cheap one's you use to have? I just bought these really inexpensive screen protectors at Fry's for $11.99 by AG2. They also had one's for $5.99 by another Brand. I opted for this because it came with a "Bonus" 3rd protector in Black. I haven't opened it yet, but I will post later.

I read reviews that the cheaper costing one's do better a job than the expensive one's.

9. Sankersizzle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

The cheap one I loved came with my "Nice PKG-POP" case, so I never knew what the name of it was. If I did I would have bought 5.

Here are some pics:

In the second one you can really see the texture I'm talking about, the last shows that the display looks the same with the protector on, but makes this weird diffused glare where the lights shine on the device, and the first one shows the it can actually appear invisible sometimes.

Attached Files:

10. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Thanks for posting. I see your point. It does not look anti-glare. But your issue is the way it feels too, right? I mean, It looks fine, just doesn't feel fine for you.

Can you take it back to Best Buy and exchange it for another brand? They're good about exchanges. That's what I'd do.

11. HabSonic macrumors regular

InvisibleShield are the one of the worst screen protectors IMHO. You can't go wrong with PowerSupport. The only problem is that non anti-glare one are really hard to find in Canada.

12. Sankersizzle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Yep that's the thing. It feels like the screen is dirty or something. I can't quite explain. From the poking around I've done it seems that people either love or hate this feeling. I think, however I'll keep it on until I can get another proper screen protector. I can't breathe if my phone isn't shielded from the indignities of life.

Exactly. I've looked everywhere for clear protectors since I hate ordering things off the internet since they take years to ship. So when I saw that this shield was apparently clear I jumped on it. I think I may just order the Power Support Crystal shields, but god knows when those will come seeing as it's Christmas.

I don't want to sound like a puss here, but do you think changing my protector every couple weeks like I've been doing to find the right one will damage my screen? I don't think I'll be doing the wet install type again, since seeing my iPhone sprayed with water nearly killed me.

13. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Your iphone will be fine. It's more important that you shield yourself from the indignities if life. :D

14. Sankersizzle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Haha. I love throwing my phone in a pocket with keys, I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for the indignities.

In other news, I've read that the InvisibleShield can damage the phone when I remove the screen protector. Has anyone here ever heard of this happening? I have unprecedented regret over this purchase.

15. takeshi74, Dec 10, 2011

takeshi74 macrumors 601

^ This. Nothing new in this thread and the OP could have saved a lot of trouble by taking the suggestion above first.

No. You're just missing that screen protector preference is subjective.

This is mentioned in just about every thread that discusses the IS. I guess you're also missing the "research before you buy" concept. It doesn't take much searching effort to find this. It's one of the most common criticisms of the IS for those that do not like it.

They haven't. You've failed to do your due diligence before buying. Two completely different things.

They're not.

Stop relying on product names. Google some reviews. Search the forums.

SGP, Power Support, etc. Make sure you select the crystal screen protectors, not the anti fingerprint, etc.

No.
    The amount of liquid required to install a wet install screen protector is minimal. It's just enough to make it so that the screen protector can be adjusted during the install. If you're causing water damage then you're doing it wrong.

...and consider your sources and corroborate data when searching. The IS won't hard your device on removal. It removes cleanly.

16. Sankersizzle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Hey, I don't want to make you feel like you need to work on your reading comprehension (I'm sure you're a sharp dude who's just having a brain fart), but obviously if I've "seen people raving" about the IS, I've researched it before I was buying. I've read multiple positive reviews from this very site, in which people have talked about the texture being a non issue.

As for the disappearing protectors, if had read the thread, you surely would have noticed that another posted confirmed that "non anti-glare one are really hard to find in Canada", which is obviously what I was referring to when I said these protectors have disappeared -and why I bought the IS. The fear of damage comes from threads like this.

However, I'll forgive all of your mistakes because you tried to help at the end by mentioning some alternatives. Thanks!

17. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

On my wife's 4S, I used one of the Zagg Dry films from the AT&T store. It isn't anti-glare, but installation was a snap and all the bubbles disappeared after a day or so. It came out really nice.

On my iPad 2, I used the ROK'D films. Also not anti-glare, but it looks nice and has a really smooth feel to it. I am happy with it. They had a kiosk at the mall near me that put it on for me.

The texture of the IS film, kind of gave a visual effect that reminded me of the "snow" you used to get on old television sets.

18. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

No one searches on this forum. Making a new thread gets a faster response and lets people express their frustration. Deal with it. You could have over 600 posts a day by telling everyone to search. In fact almost 99% of these threads are resolved by searching.

OP, I tried InvisibleSH** for a week. The texture was downright terrible. Took it off, gulped the 20$ loss and bought SP from eBay. Never looked back.

19. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

I bought the full invisible shield front and back when I got my iPhone 3GS and installed it myself. No bubbles or anything but I hated the texture of the front and ended up tearing front and back off after about two weeks.

When the wife got her iPhone a few months ago she bought one of those incase bundles that comes with screen protector and case and stuff and I put one of those on my 4S when it arrived and it's great can only tell its there it you really look for it

20. Sankersizzle, Dec 10, 2011

Sankersizzle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Fantastic. Thanks for your help guys. I checked into those PowerSupport Crystal Films, but as I was checking out I see that shipping to Canada is $22 dollars, or roughly $8 more than the cost of the product. To ship my case from Case-Mate (which is in the same state) was only 3 doll hairs.

So I think I'm going to get Case-Mates equivalent instead, since they are $10 as opposed to $14 and I get three protectors as opposed to two (I also have a 20% off coupon from my POP 1.0 case I just bought). Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm sure they're roughly the same but assuming got me into this predicament before. I figured that since I've got a troop of educated forum members paying attention to me for a change I'd ask your opinions. Also, will all protectors for the 4 jive well with the 4S?

21. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

If they're anything like their older 3G / 3GS protectors, they never seem to completely sit down around the home button. No idea why but it's the more frustrating thing.

I always, and will always, stick with PowerSupport and SGP. Both are beyond perfect. They simply always work and never have any issues. I've gone through easily 10 installs of each for myself and friend's phones without ever any issues. Just whatever you do, do remember that dry screen protectors like the PS and SGP sometimes catch dust under them, just have a clean piece of Scotch tape handy to pull them right off.

Additionally, any iPhone 4 Screen Protector [front and / or back] will fit perfectly on the 4S. :)

22. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

OP:

Any quality static cling protector that is crystal (not advertised as anti glare) will be completely invisible.
    All wet apply screen protectors (IS, Bodyguardz, Ghost Armor, etc.) have an orange peel texture.

Here is a list of crystal clear screen protectors:

Power Support Crystal:

http://www.powersupportusa.com/accessories/iphone-4/crystal-front-and-rear-film-set.html

SGP Steinheil Crystal and Oleophobic:

http://www.sgpstore.com/cell-phone/...een-protector-steinheil-ultra-series-new.html

Switcheasy Pure Protect:

http://www.switcheasy.com/product.php?product=Pure_iPhone4

23. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

No, that about sums it up. :p

24. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

I bought the InvisibleShield from Zagg based on some of the hype by some members on the MacRumors forum a year ago for my iPhone 4. Just like you, and many others (which I later discovered), I hated the orange peel effect the shield gave on the iPhone- the screen looked horrible and cheap and destroyed the shiny smooth glass look on the phone. I was even shocked at the amount of liquid that I had to apply on the phone.

After a couple of days, I had enough and took it off. Then, I discovered the SGP Steinheil Crystal screen protector (also from these forums) and bought one. Its a very good screen protector and also much easier to apply than the Zagg. It looks like there is no screen protector on it (until you look at the earpiece section) and does not easily scratch (like the cheap screen protectors you see on eBay).

I've noticed other members have recommended the SGP. The Power Support screen protectorrs are also great from the reviews I've seen here.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I bought 3 packs of the full-body InvisibleShield, need to sell them

25. Sankersizzle, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

Sankersizzle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Thanks again everyone. So I've decided to go with the Case-Mate, SGP protectors, since PowerSupport shipping is 10x more expensive than anywhere else it seems.

EDIT: Going to order these. I just want an invisible screen to be on my phone so when I drop it face down on the rocks the protector will get scratched and not the phone. These seem to do the trick. I want to try out the SGP's but they don't have a set of screen protectors that include at least 2 protectors without the "ultra optics" (clearness reducing) nonsense...