Am I overreacting?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by schwin54, Nov 12, 2011.

1. schwin54 macrumors newbie

So I just bought the base 13" yesterday and while I was in the store updating the software it froze on me. The apple employee needed to hard restart my computer. Since bringing it home I've noticed that when I have itunes open sometimes I can't close it or access any other programs and the window won't minimize...Should I maybe reinstall itunes or is this a bigger issue that warrants me taking my mac back in?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Bring it back and ask for a replacement, you should be getting a flawless computer out of the box, it's brand new for chrissakes.

3. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Try reinstalling the OS, and see how it work then after the update. If you feel like thats too much to go through after having just bought it, just take it back and Apple will be glad to fix the problem or give you a replacement.

4. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

If I was you, I would take it back and ask for a replacement... anything you pay more than $500 for should work perfect out of the box, and this sounds like it does not...

5. Mersailios macrumors regular

I would return the MacBook Pro to the store and kindly explain the situation and that it is not meeting your expectations and ask for a replacement computer.

The sooner you do this the better, it will save you the hassle of having to migrate data again down the road should the situation get worse and it will also give you peace of mind knowing that you have a computer that works properly.

6. PS65 macrumors 6502

Agree, you shouldn't have to suffer after spending so much money. Do it now, before your return period and there will be no questions. Just be polite and explain the circumstances.

The way to look at this...if you don't return it, you will always have the regret that you have a faulty machine.

7. sfoalex macrumors 6502

Absolutely return it. I agree with the opinions floating here. It is brand new, and as such it ought to work flawlessly. Don't even think about keeping it.

8. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I agree with everyone else. Return it as soon as you can.

9. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

+1 on the return within the 14 day return window. I'd actually be a little miffed about this and would share my "miffness" with the genius. Don't even let 'em try to fix it for you. Straight swap. Hold your ground.

10. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Personally I think you're overreacting, but then I don't follow the "the machine should just be oh so perfect and blow in my ear or I'm returning it" school.

Restore it from the restore discs. if it continues THEN return it.

11. Lee Adama macrumors regular

Lee Adama

why go thru the aggravation? It's new, should work as promised. Take it back, get new one and spend your time loading your apps and settings.

12. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

No restore disks on a new macbook pro.

I would return it ... I would not have taken a machine in the first place that froze in the store.

13. Ccrew macrumors 68020

You have a recovery partition if Lion, discs if an older (Early 2011) 13". He said it hung during an update. Quite possible something just got corrupted.

But given the technical facilities and sense of entitlement of a lot of Mac users, probably best returned.

14. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

just be polite when you return it. Don't be rude or agressive, just say that it's not working right and you'd like to use the 14-day return period to do an exchange. If you're nice, you're more likely to get what you want without any fuss.

15. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well, if you buy a new car you don't want to have to make an oil change first before using it.

A brand new machine that freezes on a standard update procedure and requires a hard restart and then exhibits performance issues on very lightweight and standard use is a bad sign. Might be just bad luck, but could also indicate a faulty unit that will cause further trouble in the future.

16. sfoalex macrumors 6502

Absolutely right. That's why I agree with you so much. It's likely one of those machines that will be a nightmare in the near future. This is just business. They didn't deliver and he shouldn't feel pressured to keep a dud.

17. Ccrew macrumors 68020

When you buy that new car and the blinkers don't work, let us know how much luck you have getting a new car from the dealer.

Notice guys I said reload it and if it continues return it. Easily done within the return period.

18. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

You don't make any sense, imho.

It doesn't matter if it's software problems the OP is confronting, or hardware, if he has a problem with the computer to begin with without he being the problem, then by all means, go and get a new one, if you buy something new, you SHOULD expect everything to work flawlessly, no?

Maybe you're used to buying things that doesn't work as they should, but that doesn't mean you should live with it, people who buy computers aren't always computer wizzes and can fix it, because that shouldn't be expected from everyone who buys a computer. Even if it may be a simple fix for one, it may be something they don't fully understand on how to fix them self.

If you feel you can fix it yourself without further problems, then fine, do it if you feel that it saves you time and money. But in the end, you shouldn't have a product that doesn't work when you buy something that is brand new. That's what warranty and returns are for.

19. Ccrew macrumors 68020

What I'm saying is that it's quite possible the OP can fix it without further problems too. We ain't launching rockets here (Ok, for a LOT of Apple users we are...)

Restore
    If it still has problems return. Pretty straightforward. Worth a shot at least. And could have been done in less time than driving it back to the store in most cases.

I love this place. So many whiners that think if there's so much as a fingerprint on their precious Mac it should be returned. HTFU.

20. schwin54 thread starter macrumors newbie

I went in today and spoke with the staff, I didn't explicitly ask for a new unit I just described my problem. He went into the back room and came out about 10min after with a brand new macbook for me:). Gotta love:apple:

21. kolax macrumors G3

Sounds like a poor hard drive. Least you got a replacement Mac.

22. Ant.honey macrumors regular

That's the way it should be. Good on them. They never surprise me with their customer service.

23. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Amen to that. I know some folks have had issues with them, but I have to say that I have had nothing but positive experiences on whole. One tech, I was not completely satisfied with. But after filling out the survey, I got a call from the store manager, who apologized, made things right, and made sure I was completely satisfied. Generally, they have gone above and beyond.

24. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

take it back, ask for a new one

it should work perfectly right out of the box, mine was like that, yours should too

25. Lee Adama macrumors regular

Lee Adama

he did. They did. all is good with the world now.