Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
For me, this DP1 is more stable than 10.10.0 was. I get the occasional lag in Safari and the occasional beachball but everything else is much faster.

It so stable for a beta that its almost "boring".
You're right, why is it so stable?? Crash god damit!! :D

It runs quite well on my Early 2011 MacBook Pro, even with integrated graphics.

Reactions: Skoal

ratboy90

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2009
I updated my macbook to it. Decided to just say eff it and do it. Seems to be running just fine. I'm not a dev or IT guy.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm surprised by the number of incompatible apps. I understand its only DP1 and I'm not knocking it, I was think it may have been a little further along since the number of features is rather small.

Still from what I've read (I'm not running it yet) it does seem stable

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I'm surprised by the number of incompatible apps. I understand its only DP1 and I'm not knocking it, I was think it may have been a little further along since the number of features is rather small.

Maybe it's got something to do with rootless? I.e apps trying to write data somewhere they no longer have access to and then falling over...

Reactions: Skoal and maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Maybe it's got something to do with rootless? I.e apps trying to write data somewhere they no longer have access to and then falling over...
Good point, I'll be the first to say I'm not fully aware of this feature even though I did see it being floated around as a rumor before WWDC

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah. Most apps that fail either seems to be doing something naughty to where they shouldn't (XtraFinder, CleanMyMac) or it's a USB audio issue. Yosemite had similar issues with audio extensions in its betas.

luke lau

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2015
Belfast
I wouldn't risk it if you're not going to be using it to update apps specifically for the 10.11 SDK. It's slower than default Yosemite and I've had a fair amount of crashing with

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
I'm seeing big time crashes in Mail since adding my POP3 gmail account. Mail won't even run. It crashes, gives me the option to sent a crash report and reopen Mail. As soon as I reopen Mail, it crashes again and the process repeats.

Otherwise, it's not too bad, but with Mail out of commission, it's a non-starter for my daily driver system.

Ditto. I have two Exchange accounts. My work one crashes it every time I open it. If I remove it, Mail will usually open it. Once I add it and it downloads a bit of mail, the crashes start.

For my personal Exchange account, it crashes randomly but it does run. It does not download my mailbox though. All my folders show up but only -new- mail appears. OWA shows all my mail. It is configured as an Exchange account so that isn't the issue.

Mail is EXTREMELY buggy.

Any apps I found that didn't work after the upgraded needed to be reinstalled with rootless turned off in nvram (another thread here explains how to disable and enable once you install the apps). Rootless seems to protect a lot of folders that some apps use (i.e. /usr/bin). The upgrade moved the files out of those folders. Disabling rootless and reinstalling puts the files back correctly.

Reactions: jmfangio

01mggt

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I'm running 10.11 on a 2010 White Unibody MacBook with a 2.4 C2D 8GB RAM and 120GB SSD and so far it is running every bit as well as Yosemite was. It may even be a bit faster it feels like. I even used terminal to disable rootless and kext signing and was able to use TRIM Enabler. So far so good.

Andropov

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
Spain
Unfortunately, it doesn't work so well for me. My uploading speed has sunk since I installed OS X 10.11, going from a solid 1-1.5Mbps to 0.02-0.07Mbps at best. Loading most pages is too slow to be usable now.

EDIT: I can see now in the Activity Monitor that kernel_task has uploaded 10.04GB in the last 3 hours, and sometimes the app shows peaks of 15MB/s upload without any application opened. Weird.

EDIT 2: Problem solved. Apparently Time Machine is saving a 56GB backup. I had never experienced this issue before because usually the backups are only a few MB in size. That also explains why I was seeing 15MB/s uploads when my internet connection is much slower.

Last edited:

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
I'm running 10.11 on a 2010 White Unibody MacBook with a 2.4 C2D 8GB RAM and 120GB SSD and so far it is running every bit as well as Yosemite was. It may even be a bit faster it feels like. I even used terminal to disable rootless and kext signing and was able to use TRIM Enabler. So far so good.
Help me out with that? :)

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Unfortunately, it doesn't work so well for me. My uploading speed has sunk since I installed OS X 10.11, going from a solid 1-1.5Mbps to 0.02-0.07Mbps at best. Loading most pages is too slow to be usable now.

EDIT: I can see now in the Activity Monitor that kernel_task has uploaded 10.04GB in the last 3 hours, and sometimes the app shows peaks of 15MB/s upload without any application opened. Weird.

EDIT 2: Problem solved. Apparently Time Machine is saving a 56GB backup. I had never experienced this issue before because usually the backups are only a few MB in size. That also explains why I was seeing 15MB/s uploads when my internet connection is much slower.
Yes, it looks like it's doing a full backup right off the bat.

People are always likely to see some performance issues just after upgrading as the system performs tasks like backing up and spotlight indexing.

Reactions: zxy

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
Run's very well and stable for me and much more responsive than Yosemite on my new 12" RMB. Like everyone else, facebook is problematic. Sometimes it won't load, and it gets very laggy when you chat with friends in the chatbox, and when you type in the chatbox, every keypress will make the screen scroll up, which is very weird and annoying.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
After being happy with how it behaves, I've decided to do a clean install of El Cap on my rMBP. It is even more impressive as a clean install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.