Am I reading this correctly? RAM upgrade..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zoezoezoe, Aug 21, 2013.

1. zoezoezoe macrumors member

I have a 15" Mid 2010 Mac Book Pro model 6,2.

It is running very slow. I'm trying to figure out what the problem is. Is it RAM? Is it the hard drive needs to be replaced? There is lots of "space" left on the current hard drive.

I decided to start with RAM by process of elimination and see how much it helps. I figured I get the best available, which for two slots these days seems to be 16 gigs. So I mosey on over to OWC and see that my model only accepts 8 gigs max, yet a 2006 macbook can accept 16 gigs? What the hell is that about? Can my MBP really only accept 8 gigs max?:eek:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

It's a limitation of the first-generation Core i CPU/chipset. That's why 13-inch 2010 models can use 16 GB because they were still using Core2 Duo processors. Unfortunately, you're stuck at maximum of 8 GB.

Though if your machine is running slowly as a whole, you should check the hard drive anyway. That could be a sign that it's dying.

3. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

As stated that was a chipset limitation. I had the same problem with an i7 HP laptop of that generation.

Also, the 2006 models only supported 2GB.
    Found that one out the hard way too. :)

4. zoezoezoe thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll go with 8 gigs. It's gotta show some improvement over my current 4.

Is there a way to "check" the hard drive? I'm pretty sure it's dying, but I don't know how else to check it without just replacing it.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Slow is such a vague word. Slow how? Do apps load slow? Does the Internet feel slow? Does the video coding take long? You have to be more specific on what types of actions are you considering "slow". This is the first step to determining what needs an upgrade.

6. zoezoezoe thread starter macrumors member

Slow on an overall basis. Multiple (like 10+ sometimes) bounces when I open applications. Very slow processing times in applications such as lightroom and photoshop (such as exporting a photo), poor video streaming often (when compared to my fiancés computer using same internet connection), beachball when loading data heavy applications like 12gig iPhoto library.

I could probably think of more examples, but those are the ones that comes to mind right off the bat.

Thank you

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Do you have a screen shot of Activity Monitor viewing the Memory Tab. Check Page-Ins and Page-Outs.

8. zoezoezoe thread starter macrumors member

Not sure how to upload photos without using flicker or something....but the data is:

Page Ins: 359
    Page Outs: 0

System Memory:

Free: 1.57GB
    Wired: 711.3 MB
    Active 1.30 GB
    Inactive: 316.7 MB
    Used: 2.25 GB

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You can take a screen shot and then use the vBulletin software this forum has to upload it, no need for flickr or anything else.

Anyways, your memory usage at this point in time seems ok. You still have 1.57GB free of RAM. However, the next question is, how many applications do you currently have open?

10. etn macrumors newbie

You can check whether RAM is a bottleneck at the amount of page outs in the activity monitor. If it stays at 0, your 4 GB are definitely enough for your usage.

My suggestion at this point would be to replace your HDD by an SSD and do a clean install of OS X. (You are surely already aware of the ifixit howto guides)
    Then transfer your data from the old HDD using an external enclosure and Migration Assistant. Transfer only data, install your software new. Believe me, it will feel as if you bought a new mac for 1/10th of the price!

RAM is cheap nowadays hence you can upgrade to 8GB while you're at it, it never hurts. 8GB should be more than enough, I have 16 GB on mine and even with 4GB allocated to a Parallels virtual machine I never use more than 8-9 GB with many applications open.

Hope this helps,

Etienne

11. zoezoezoe thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tips. I'm thinking of getting one of those new hybrid drives as they are much cheaper than full on SSD and still give you some, but not all, of the speed improvement. Maybe a new HD and a clean install will be more than enough.