Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skizzy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2013
Does the pangu jailbreak for Mac have all the same fixes as 1.2.1 or is the windows one safer to use with less bugs?

----------

Ahhh, so you have the (1) on your Settings but Pangu is blocking your update?

Right, I get it. Mine has no (1) on the Settings icon at all.

Update: My iPhone is stuck at the Apple logo again! Third time I'll be jailbreaking 8.1 :(

It only happens when I do a full reboot. And, annoyingly, Pangu picks it up but can't go further because of the passcode lock. So far with Cydia and stuff it's only been Springboard restarts.

I think I'll leave the passcode off for a while. Good thing about living in Japan is I'm not constantly worried about having my iPhone stolen. Heck, people here leave phones on tables in Starbucks to reserve them while they order!

What do you mean springboard restarts? I think I'm having the same problem.

boo-boo-butt

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2014
Does the pangu jailbreak for Mac have all the same fixes as 1.2.1 or is the windows one safer to use with less bugs?

----------

What do you mean springboard restarts? I think I'm having the same problem.

So far I haven't noticed a difference between the Mac and Windows versions of Pangu 8.

As for Springboard restarts, I meant:

When I installed a cydia tweak, it would ask to restart the springboard after installing and work fine, but if I actually turned the phone off and on again it would get stuck on the apple logo.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
My son got his iPhone 6 plus on Friday it came with iOS 8.0. Can he still update to 8.1 by using the ipsw file? he doesn't want 8.1.1 because he want to JB. TIA.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
As stated about a million times in this thread, yes.

Ok thanks. I only read about people going down from iOS 8.1.1 but not going up from 8.0. I've never done it from downloading a file only through Apple website the normal way.

Skizzy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2013
So far I haven't noticed a difference between the Mac and Windows versions of Pangu 8.

As for Springboard restarts, I meant:

When I installed a cydia tweak, it would ask to restart the springboard after installing and work fine, but if I actually turned the phone off and on again it would get stuck on the apple logo.

Does that happen every time you turn the phone off or only when you do it after downloading a tweak in cydia?

boo-boo-butt

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2014
Does that happen every time you turn the phone off or only when you do it after downloading a tweak in cydia?

Installing tweaks in Cydia was fine because it would only respring, not reboot the phone, after installing them. Until the phone was rebooted or turned off and on again, it would work fine with the tweaks.

I just noticed in the Pangu app it says not to delete a com.apple file and a service related to iOS updates. I had an update blocker in iOS7 and maybe this carried over somehow. In each case, the phone was not manually restarted until after a few Cydia tweaks were installed.

Right now my phone is working fine, and here's the list of what I've done so far:

1) Restored 8.1 IPSW
2) Restored data backup
3) Jailbroke with Pangu 8.0 Mac (no passcode, TouchID or Find my iPhone, Airplane Mode on as per the instructions)
3.5) Enabled Pangu's JP/KR no Shutter sound option (because I'm in Japan)
4) Turned on iCloud backups (in case it crashes again at work :D)
5*) Installed Substrate Safe Mode (I know apps that need this install it but I'm taking things slow right now)
6*) Installed PreferenceLoader (same as safe mode - taking it slowly)
7*) Installed TransparentVolume 8
8*) Installed f.lux
9*) Deleted some prefs files for tweaks I'm not using/haven't installed yet
10*) SwipeSelection Pro
11*) CCControls (beta 1.3 - yes, I realise it's beta and I'm the last person who should be messing with betas!)

I turned the phone off and on again after each step with *. Cydia asked to respring for Safe Mode, PreferenceLoader and TransparentVolume so I powered off and on after respringing.

Also, the official instructions say it's best to do step 3 before step 2 but I forgot! This may be better based on what DigitalDawn said.

Still going strong. Next phase of testing would involve turning passcode back on and then, possibly, TouchID(although I can live without TouchID for now).

CControls is even better than before. So many more options. Wish I could enable/disable f.lux from the CC, though...

Last edited:

xspaint

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2010
Just restored to 8.1. was having stupid battery issues...hope the DFU/restore helped

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
just restored to 8.1. Was having stupid battery issues...hope the dfu/restore helped

no!! Screw your issues. You are helping team fragmentation. Hop back on 8.1.1 immediately. SO MANY MORE APIS. MORE SECURE TOO AS IT PATCHES THAT VILE JAILBREAK FILTH. Might as well go android.

----------

Fragmentation is a horrible thing.

Y
tumblr_lvps7vMoy61qdna0x.jpg

chaofahn

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2014
Australia
My iPhone 6 just bonked it. Was messing around with the Health App when it decided it didn't want to live anymore.

Luckily, iOS 8.1 is still being signed. A little bit of DFU, a little bit of restore from backup, and boom. Everything is still there (except for today's health information).

MORAL OF THE STORY: Backup your iPhone. For the love of God. xD

boo-boo-butt

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2014
Everything is still there (except for today's health information).

But what if today's health information contains the MOST IMPORTANT NEWS OF YOUR LIFE?

Agreed. Although, after my current jailbreaking shenanigans, I'm considering a fresh start because who knows what state my phone is in now. Ironically, health information for my phone would be handy ;)

xspaint

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2010
no!! Screw your issues. You are helping team fragmentation. Hop back on 8.1.1 immediately. SO MANY MORE APIS. MORE SECURE TOO AS IT PATCHES THAT VILE JAILBREAK FILTH. Might as well go android.

i was on 8.1 JB'n....not sure if a rouge tweak messed with something or its just **** battery life in 8.1 (not 8.1.1)...unfortunatly after a clean dfu install it didn't matter. Battery life is badly nerfed in 8.1 on 5s. I really feel apple does this on purpose to force people into buying new (better battery life) phone.... Android Lollipop is looking pretty good at this point. :/

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
i was on 8.1 JB'n....not sure if a rouge tweak messed with something or its just **** battery life in 8.1 (not 8.1.1)...unfortunatly after a clean dfu install it didn't matter. Battery life is badly nerfed in 8.1 on 5s. I really feel apple does this on purpose to force people into buying new (better battery life) phone.... Android Lollipop is looking pretty good at this point. :/

I think that post was sarcasm

boo-boo-butt

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2014

I had the same problem when I first jail broke 8.1. Battery would go down around 1% every minute.

I did another 8.1 restore, then restored my backup, then jail broke with Pangu and I'm fine now. Try that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.