Am I screwed if I hate trackpads?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by amazingdm, Jul 29, 2010.

1. amazingdm macrumors 6502

If Apple's idea of the future is a multi touch laptop like trackpad then am I screwed on Apple's side of computer things?
    I absolutely hate, hate hate haaate using my laptop's trackpad.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

No reason you couldn't use a 3rd party mouse. Unless civilization decides trackpads are the way to go.

3. BiggAW macrumors 68020

It's not like Apple makes usable input devices anyways. That's what USB, Logitech and Microsoft are for. My Microsoft keyboard and Logitech mouse work great with my Macbook.

4. chrisvee macrumors regular

Regular laptop trackpads do not equal Apple trackpads. :)

Two-finger scrolling for the win.. As a matter of fact, multi-touch gestures for the win!

:apple:

5. lilo777 macrumors 603

With mouse, I can scroll using just one finger. You guys waste a lot of energy using trackpads.

6. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Two finger scrolling not impressing me so far. This trackpad will take time to get used to. Why use two-fingered scrolling with inertia on the track pad when the magic mouse will do it with one?

7. demingy macrumors newbie

I just wanted to add a couple of points:

1. Give it a chance before you decide. I hated touchpads, and it took me a little bit to get used to the multi-touch, but now I absolutely LOVE it. I'm so used to using it now and it makes my web browsing (and other tasks) really fast.

2. If you decide you just can't stand it (or even if you just don't prefer it), you can still get a mouse to use with the Mac as others have pointed out.

8. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

The trackpad isn't for people who are not coordinated..

9. NCW macrumors regular

NCW

two finger scrolling is like meth, once you use it, your hooked for life

10. rnb2 macrumors regular

Because you can move the mouse to move the cursor, but the trackpad needs a way to distinguish cursor movement (one finger) from scrolling (two fingers).

11. the.orange.tuba macrumors member

I love the MBP trackpad. When I use my HP notebook I am like "What the heck, I have to click one of these 2 buttons and no gestures!!!! omg! :eek: "

12. UltimaLink macrumors regular

Absolutely not.

The trackpad is hopefully just a phase Apple is going through.

13. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Trackpads are the future.

If you haven't used a MacBook's trackpad, you’re missing out — seriously. Mac trackpads are NOTHING like the trackpads on PC laptops. I've fallen in love with my Mac's trackpad to the point that I prefer it over a mouse.

Try that on a PC, and it's impossible.
    Mac trackpads rock. PC trackpads suck.

14. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Trackpads are the future"

I certainly hope not.

Try using a trackpad for precision editing of either digital images or working within a digital audio app. There is no way that a fingertip can compare to the precision of a good mouse pointer where "pixel-to-pixel" requirements are involved.

That said, I will confess that I, too, am "trackpad/trackball-phobic". I've always just struggled with them, while with a good mouse (I said a "good" mouse, not an Apple one!) I just zip along.

I did buy one of the new MacBook Pros, and find that the multi-touch trackpads actually approach being usable (grin). For extended use when the laptop is on a flat surface, however, I'll _still_ use a mouse of some sort. But they are getting a bit better at it.

Now don't get me started on Apple keyboards, either....

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Using my Logitech mouse, I can run circles around any trackpad user. A mouse is simply faster and more accurate. I doubt mice are going to disappear from the peripheral landscape anytime soon, and certainly not in favor of trackpads. While many may prefer trackpads, but there are still millions of mouse users who won't switch.

16. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

@ GGJstudios

How do you run circles around trackpad users? In what areas?

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Speed and accuracy of pointer movement, right-click menus, drag and drop, text selection, etc. Pretty much anything that's done on a trackpad can be done significantly faster and with more precision, using a mouse.

18. Xavier macrumors 68020

A computer mouse will be around for a long time, but I believe that the magic mouse (or similar) or trackpads will take over

19. Fa7mac macrumors regular

Fa7mac

I don´t like a trackpad either, it irritates my fingers :mad:

20. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Well, what do you guys suggest as I replacement for the Trackpad? A Trackball? TrackPoint?

If you never used a MacBook Trackpad, have yourself a getaway to the Apple Store and try it. If you tried it and don't like it, then don't use it. You are free to carry a mouse around.

Until you don't come up with something different, wait until OCZ makes you free of any movement of anything. I don't really like the idea of having my brainwaves hooked up to an internet-connected Windows PC myself, but if you don't like trackpads, there you go.

21. 7thMac macrumors 6502

The trackpad and its multi-touch features are great and the Apple implementation is impressive. I appreciate these features when I use my MBP away from a desk. However, when I really need to get down to work I always go back to a mouse.

22. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Wow, and here I thought I was the only one who didn't like trackpads, even if they are magical and revolutionary. I like big mice with lots of buttons. I like being able to program those buttons to do things with one click.

Thankfully, you can get some good mice (I love Logitech) and good software like Steermouse and be ok.

23. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Yeah, they are nothing like PC trackpads. They suck a bit less.

Two-fingered scrolling, and even more importantly, two-fingered tap clicking make the trackpad hugely more usable when you don't have any other options, but when you have a desk, a mouse will always work far better.

Amen, man. My Logitch laser mouse is so much better than any trackpad can be.

24. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

Agreed.

I wouldn't say they're the future, because I think they lack the precision that gaming and photo editing call for. However compared to most multi touch trackpads in Windows environments, OS X(don't forget that OS X is optimized to operate with the trackpad as opposed to XP/7) + trackpad is a force to be reckoned with. Combined with something like Quicksilver, I've become much quicker than I ever was with a trackpoint or mouse on my previous laptops. I don't even count Apple's gimmicky gestures. Simple two finger right clicks and inertial scrolling without keeping my right hand far from the home row is godsend. Taking your hand off the home row to move your mouse or its scroll bar can take more time than moving two fingers a shorter distance.

I think the uproar is coming from people who never really used the MacBook's trackpad and think Apple is trying to force their touch interface on everyone. Fact of the matter is MacBooks have been doing this successfully long before the iPhone/iPod Touch got popular. If anything, the MacBook's trackpad probably influenced the navigation experience on the iPhone. I'm just surprised it took Apple this long to offer it for their desktop experience.

But everyone should really give their MacBook's trackpad a chance. It's pretty awesome, and is one of the operating system's better selling points.

25. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

I wonder if there was a convo like this when mice first started to appear :rolleyes: