Am I screwed with buying a 4S while still using Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobt, Oct 11, 2011.

1. bobt macrumors regular

My iPhone 4S is suppose to be delivered this Friday but I'm starting to be a bit concerned that it was the right decision. I think I'm one of the few happy MobileMe users and use it for syncing my current iPhone, iPad and MBP. With some of the software and hardware that I'm running, I need to stay with Snow Leopard on my 17" MBP. However, it is looking like I need to be using iCloud for synching with iOS5 which does not support MobileMe. Likewise, Snow Leopard does not support iCloud.

Not sure if this all the case but appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

This question has been boggling my mind too. There has been leaks of Snow Leopard capable iCloud, but I don't know if it will come to fruition or not.

3. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Wait for 10.6.9 to come out with iCloud support. There are simply way too many people still on Snow Leopard for them not to support it.

4. iamnickgray macrumors newbie

I hope there are updates.... I am still on Leopard. I know I know.

5. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

Just update. It's a pretty cheap and painless process

6. iamnickgray macrumors newbie

Yeah, I think I'll have to.

7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Can't on Core Duo, it would involve buying an entire new Mac

8. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I hadn't thought about this. I'm keeping the 1P4 on 4.3.3 since it is jailbroken & unlocked. But my iPad will be updated.

I'm currently on 10.7.1 and still use MobileMe. I need to find an alternative to iDisk soon though :(

Now I don't know if I should update my iPad yet or wait until I get the unlocked 4S in Nov. Ugh.

9. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

It's definitely worth it. I love the iOS feel of lion and the iCloud stuff has been working very well, even during the beta

10. f00f macrumors 65816

iOS 5 does indeed support MobileMe and your MobileMe account (assuming you're paid up) is good until June of next year if I remember correctly.

This is a screenshot of the Add Account screen in the Mail settings on iOS 5 GM. Clearly there's an option for adding an iCloud account as well as MobileMe. :)

[​IMG]

You will have the option, sometime between when iCloud launches and next June, of converting your MobileMe account to an iCloud account. Keep that in mind.

11. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

I got Lion the day it came out, yet I'm still on Snow Leopard, with Windows 7 on bootcamp.

I will if have to install Lion, but I'm not sure how that would affect bootcamp.

12. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

No effect at all. Go for it

13. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I've been using a new Lion powered MBA for some time now. While it's a very good OS, I still prefer Snow Leopard. I'm very happy I bought the MBA for the express purpose of sampling Lion, without disturbing my fast, stable & trouble free Snow Leopard Macs.

Who knows what the future will bring with each Lion update, so I'm not ruling it out permanently. With the iP4S being less dependent on a hard wired computer connection, I'd expect one could use a 4S no matter what version of OS X is on your Mac.

About the only question is iCloud, which in my case I won't be using anyway. I already have all my backup, storage, and sync needs met. iCloud is perfect for consumers with no skills, that's Apples target market & they will all rely on it. Once again Apple takes over so there's no thinking or learning required.

14. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Yeah. I'm on the boat of someone who has tried Lion and reverted back to Snow Leopard. There are definitely some appealing parts to Lion, but many parts of it are still annoying and/or buggy. I have zero complaints with SL and don't find it necessary to upgrade yet. Hopefully with each update, they'll keep squashing more bugs.

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

16. karboN.6 macrumors regular

what do u mean you cannot update on a core duo processor.

17. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Just updated to lion last night. It is pretty freaking awesome. Love the new iPad style OS tweaks. I bought lion to get ready for iCloud.

----------

It's not 64-bit.

18. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

You can upgrade to Lion with no effect on the Bootcamp partition?

19. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Hold up, does this mean you can run windows 7 on an apple laptop?

20. DarkFlame macrumors regular

so you guys are telling me to use my iphone 4s I have to either buy lion or wait for SL to update to 10.6.9!? Rly don't feel like upgrading, how will exactly this hinder my 4s experience?

21. utl768 macrumors 6502

thats a real dick move by apple to make you update to lion to use icloud

22. karboN.6 macrumors regular

Lmao apple finds another way to screw us over, my $1200 laptop doesnt support a program that they probably had every intention of coming out with so now i wont be able to use the full functionality of my 200$ iphone, thank you :apple:

----------

My friend upgraded to lion and he has a duo 2 core processor and it works fine. I dont understand it

23. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

Of course you can.. do you not know how?

24. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Apples main objective is amassing as much profit as possible. One of the easiest ways is to make their installed base of customers buy new hardware to enjoy the full experience of their latest OS. Apple is the master of hype and building demand for their latest products.

One look at some of the posts here reveals many express a commitment to the latest well before the facts are known. This is the Magic of Steve Jobs. Baked into the DNA of both Apple and a massive number of it's customers, they expect to spend continually to be current and "cool". It's their lifestyle.

25. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

The dual 2 core is 64-bit the original dual core is not.

Lion is 64-bit only.

Will not run 64-bit G5's either since they are PPC not intel.

----------

Apple products keep their value just sell them when you update.