Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
This is still a streaming service. It is still compressed even at 4k. Perhaps Netflix someday will debut reference quality 1 for 1 blu Ray streaming for 1080p. I doubt It though.

If you are like most people, and consume a lot of streaming content. The best possible picture available to you today September 2015 will be 4k Netflix. If you truly care about the best 4k blu Ray will be out in a few months, and will be the new gold standard.

What I don't get is why you guys are giving me so much flack for simply wanting today's standard for quality. Why would you NOT want the highest quality available to you?

If this were 3 years ago, and the cheapest 4k TV available was $4,000+, and the hdmi standards hadn't even been ratified yet, then ok good points. However you can drive down to best buy today with $1000 in your pocket, and come home with a 4k TV and change in your pocket.

Can you not empathize with 4k TV owners who feel alienated by this? We will be forced to choose between high quality, and inconvenience, or lower quality and using ATV.

Not only that as it stands the only way for me to view my new 4k videos from my 6s+ will be to download them to my computer, and then move them to a usb stick. This was the perfect opportunity to move things forward, and allow people to view their videos in their full glory.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
This is still a streaming service. It is still compressed even at 4k. Perhaps Netflix someday will debut reference quality 1 for 1 blu Ray streaming for 1080p. I doubt It though.

If you are like most people, and consume a lot of streaming content. The best possible picture available to you today September 2015 will be 4k Netflix. If you truly care about the best 4k blu Ray will be out in a few months, and will be the new gold standard.

What I don't get is why you guys are giving me so much flack for simply wanting today's standard for quality. Why would you NOT want the highest quality available to you?

If this were 3 years ago, and the cheapest 4k TV available was $4,000+, and the hdmi standards hadn't even been ratified yet, then ok good points. However you can drive down to best buy today with $1000 in your pocket, and come home with a 4k TV and change in your pocket.

Can you not empathize with 4k TV owners who feel alienated by this? We will be forced to choose between high quality, and inconvenience, or lower quality and using ATV.

Not only that as it stands the only way for me to view my new 4k videos from my 6s+ will be to download them to my computer, and then move them to a usb stick. This was the perfect opportunity to move things forward, and allow people to view their videos in their full glory.

I think most people are giving you flak because you are "completely underwhelmed" because of the unsurprising fact it doesn't have 4k.

Given the same price point there is no reason anyone doesn't want that feature. And there would have been a lot of good reasons for it to have it. Like pretty much all 4k TV owner scrambling to buy an AppleTV or vice versa.

But given there is no 4k iTunes content, 11 or so shows available on Netflix, and still a lot of improvement to be had with HEVC most of us enthusiast knew it wasn't going to happen yet.

foobarbazqux

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2014

Don't worry. They'll come around eventually and when they do, they'll be one this site complaining about the fact that their 3 year old AppleTV 4 still doesn't yet support 4k when the rest of the competition has for 2 - 3 years.

CairnsRock

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
Toronto
I think all we can expect from Apple now are iterations of current products vs new ground breaking leaps. Unless you count Apple Watch which I don't.

Think faster phones, bigger iPads, a new color.

Current ATV owners don't need to run out and upgrade but new buyers who are comparing to roku, Amazon etc should find the new version more attractive.

Not dissing the products, they are great products. Just no compelling reason to upgrade. IOS upgrades are free and they give you most of the function upgrades. I'm presuming that the new ATV OS will work on ATV3?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
However after watching the 4k it was night and day difference. 1080p streams look pretty good but usually are around 11mbps for super HD. Netflix 4k can top 40mbps and all that extra data leads to a stunning blu Ray rivaling picture.
Not sure where you are getting your numbers, but this is what Netflix says:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/126457-netflix-uhd-4k-interview-when-where-and-how-to-get-4k-content

What sort of data rates, or bandwidth, will be required for streaming at 4K?
"It’s streaming at 15.6Mbps. So that’s higher than what we’re streaming at right now - our current highest bitrate 1080p HD stream is 5.8Mbps."

Even if you factor in that H.265 is more efficient, there are many Blu-rays with far higher bit rates. Of course, a high bit rate alone does not guarantee a great image. Much depends on the quality and properties (e.g. amount of grain) of the source material and how much care was taken when doing the encoding.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Don't worry. They'll come around eventually and when they do, they'll be one this site complaining about the fact that their 3 year old AppleTV 4 still doesn't yet support 4k when the rest of the competition has for 2 - 3 years.

No, we'll just buy a new one.

It's not like it's expensive, it's not like we don't have money.

BJ

Reactions: s15119

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
I'm not underwhelmed -- far from it actually. Never owned an Apple TV. I can't wait to use apps on the big screen, plus the Siri integration is nice :)

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
Not sure where you are getting your numbers, but this is what Netflix says:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/126457-netflix-uhd-4k-interview-when-where-and-how-to-get-4k-content

What sort of data rates, or bandwidth, will be required for streaming at 4K?
"It’s streaming at 15.6Mbps. So that’s higher than what we’re streaming at right now - our current highest bitrate 1080p HD stream is 5.8Mbps."

Even if you factor in that H.265 is more efficient, there are many Blu-rays with far higher bit rates. Of course, a high bit rate alone does not guarantee a great image. Much depends on the quality and properties (e.g. amount of grain) of the source material and how much care was taken when doing the encoding.

https://torrentfreak.com/first-netflix-4k-content-leaks-to-torrent-sites-150828/

"The media info for the release shows that the episode has a bit rate of 41.3 Mbps"

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
years ago Steve Jobs said he cracked the TV. we all assume that ATV will be revolution. instead, we got an ATV with an app store which Apple could have done it years ago.

ATV 4 is no where near revolution. They could have put the app store on ATV 2 long ago.

usually Apple is ahead of the competition, but this time ATV is behind the competition. Android TV is ahead:
1) released over a year ago and about to get a new major update (android TV M)
2) voice search using remote with headphone jack for private listening at night or games
3) much more powerful hardware with netflix 4K (HDMI 2 and HDCP 2.2)
4) Android M will add bluetooth headphone/speakers and supports external storage
5) last but not lease: Kodi (XBMC) is already on google play store.
6) game controller for those who want casual games.

I think Apple is releasing ATV 4 due to pressure from Android TV's being out for over a year already. Apple can't afford to wait for contract deals with content provider.

Last edited:
Reactions: macaximx

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
years ago Steve Jobs said he cracked the TV. we all assume that ATV will be revolution. instead, we got an ATV with an app store which Apple could have done it years ago.

ATV 4 is no where near revolution. They could have put the app store on ATV 2 long ago.

usually Apple is ahead of the competition, but this time ATV is behind the competition. Android TV is ahead:
1) released over a year ago and about to get a new major update (android TV M)
2) voice search using remote with headphone jack for private listening at night or games
3) hardware supports netflix 4K (HDMI 2 and HDCP 2.2)
4) Android M will add bluetooth headphone/speakers and supports external storage
5) last but not lease: Kodi (XBMC) is already on google play store.

Yeah, it was a major let down. I already own a couple Apple TVs and was expecting a revolution. This is no way what Steve said he finally cracked.

I mean, really, we get the same Apple TV with Wii type games, online shopping, and the same apps?
I do not get it at all.

They should have had:
1. Netflix type of service with streaming of movies for around $10 a month. Call it Apple Movies.
2. Siri always on, listening from the actual hardware. Similar to Amazon Echo. You say "Hey Siri" to activate.
3. Camera? Why not include a FaceTime camera in the Apple TV hardware and broadcast yourself or video chat with friends family via the TV.
4. More apps! Give us something special. Every Smart Tv has apps...

Oh well...maybe next year.

HoiPiet

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2015
I live in a rural area. The closest restaurant to my house serves Kangaroo burgers (nope, that is not hyperbole). I can and do run multiple 1080p streams on a 300M pipe. So 4K would be nice. 4K blu-ray hits this year. Sure, you can cling to your 480i CRT 4:3 tube until they pry it from your cold, dead, aluminum foil-coated rabbit ears, but some of us are looking to improve our home theater experience.

For the price point, I would like Apple to LEAD in innovation, not follow along. They were a leader in removing the floppy disc, the optical media, flash storage, high resolution screens, and even notebooks in general. ATV was a great innovation itself. I don't want to wait until 8k and glasses free 3d is here before seeing the first 4k.

I live in a major metropolitan area and have 2 consumer products available, neither of which approaches that speed.

"4K" isn't a standard. The standards, including the one for 4K Blu-ray aren't finalized. Most of the equipment sold today as 4K likely won't be able to implement the changes that the standards will bring. For all you know the current ATV might be able to be upgraded once the standards are set.

Yet you sound angry and you insult anyone who thinks it makes sense to wait as people who are watching old CRTs and using rabbit ears.

Here's a tip. Rabbit ears work for HD tvs. You don't need a special antenna and the picture is great. And its free.

Last edited:

HoiPiet

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2015

It isn't a standard of quality. It isn't a standard at all.

You don't have to make the ATV the only thing feeding your tv.

Wanting what doesn't exist yet and asking for a kludge isn't moving things forward. Like I said, the ability to handle the updated standard that would include 4K may be possible with the current unit through an upgrade.

Its hard to have sympathy when most don't have even the ability to get the level of service or the money for what you have. Yet this discussion is in part about a $50 price increase.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
According to the specs the new remote has an IR transmitter. Did anyone see anything explaining what the purpose of that might be? While the remote can supposedly be used to turn on the TV set, it was mentioned in the keynote that this is not done via IR but through HDMI CEC, so that doesn't seem to be it ...

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska

While I certainly can empathize, as an early adopter of 4K you had to know that large scale adoption of 4K was/is still a ways off. This is the downside of being on the bleeding edge of technology. I don't think anyone here would argue with Apple if they did include 4K in this version, but it shouldn't be surprising that they didn't.

Can you not watch those videos on your ATV4 in HD 1080p? Do you not watch anything on your 4K television that isn't in 4K?

You act like 1080p is 240p; an excellent quality TV can make 1080p look mind-bogglingly good.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Develop an iPod and an iPhone and the people expect an unexpected annual revolution. Those products were hardly ahead of their time. Years behind, actually. They just had the best execution. There was lots of absolute criticism there, too. This reminds me of it.

I believe and App Store and sufficient hardware speed will become the driving force behind these products and once again Apple is [almost surprisingly] ahead of the curve. If they launch a great TV package alternative they could potentially become a dominant player in the TV market. I see this as the beginning of another game changer.

zarf2007

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
London, UK
While I certainly can empathize, as an early adopter of 4K you had to know that large scale adoption of 4K was/is still a ways off. This is the downside of being on the bleeding edge of technology. I don't think anyone here would argue with Apple if they did include 4K in this version, but it shouldn't be surprising that they didn't.

tbh even if they had only netflix for 4k, and just gave the device hdmi 2.0 and gigabit ethernet with some codecs that they/developers could use for 4k in the future, i think most 4k tv owners would buy it, as it stands its crippled from the get go.

And to add those things would cost peanuts. Dodgy chinese android box manufacturers are starting to do it, and apple can't? innovate my ass!!

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Why on earth did the include the possibility to shoot 4K video on the new iPhone then? How will you watch it?
Because high numbers sell units to people who have no clues as to what they are getting. 4K is a sales tag, even though the majority of people wouldn't care about 4K over 1080p.

And in any even, you can watch it just fine on your TV with the current AppleTV.

People want to feel that they're buying something future-proof. 4K is not the future, it's here already and it's growing rapidly. Since when did Apple just settle with "good enough"? Don't they strive to be in the forefront of advancement?
Heh, you don't really seem to know Apple if you state that.

But still, 4K streaming is in its infancy. h265 is still not fully developed, and will be a cornerstone of 4K streaming, so Apple couldn't even release anything other than a mediocre 4K product. Heck, most TV's sold still come with HDMI 1.4, meaning they can only show 4K at 30 FPS, which makes it even more hopeless.

As a side-note; Product won't sell if customers feel it's underpowered or in the past, technologically speaking.
Good thing 90% of the customers have no clue about technology.

You don't need the internet bandwidth to stream airplay 4k videos, shot and edited on your iPhone, to your tv.
True that, but you don't need an AppleTV with 4K capabilities to do that either.

Ever hear of apple pay? Far less people use Applepay than will purchase a 4K tv this year.
Estimates for number of people that have used ApplePay in the US is up to 3.6 million people. Cummulative 4K TV sales in the US per the end of 2015 is estimated to be around 1 million units. Pulling statements out of your ass doesn't really help your arguments.

Last edited:

mendico

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2015
I have been waited for homekit support of new Apple TV but they didn't announce or demo anything about home kit. This was my primary interest for the new Apple TV. It could be great if they made a demo with Siri.

Also I wish that we can enable always listening mode for Siri like Amazon Echo. Otherwise, pressing a button to talk to Siri is nonsense.

BarcelonaPaul

Suspended
Jul 1, 2015
I'm with you on that. When I saw it I laughed because I thought it was a joke mock up. I can't believe that they didn't change the design. I've never heard of that before. Jonny Ive and his team are some of the best designers and they take a 4 year old box and just make it fatter. First Apple product to become thicker & fatter! I'm getting the impression that because it's a cheapish product, that Apple didn't want to spend much money on it.Very greedy. I find it very bizarre.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
That was the biggest landed with a thud new product keynote in recent memory.
I wouldn't put it quite like that, it was a good keynote and the new Apple TV is a good product however I'm not 100% sold on it being worth an awful lot more so I wouldn't buy it considering my usage is for TV shows only which the basic one is more than capable of.

If I had a use for the new features I'd buy it in a heart beat but I don't but to say it's an underwhelming product is a bit off the mark. Also 4K at this time for a product that requires internet is a non-starter for Apple when most countries couldn't access 4K content at current speeds.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I'm with you on that. When I saw it I laughed because I thought it was a joke mock up. I can't believe that they didn't change the design. I've never heard of that before. Jonny Ive and his team are some of the best designers and they take a 4 year old box and just make it fatter. First Apple product to become thicker & fatter! I'm getting the impression that because it's a cheapish product, that Apple didn't want to spend much money on it.Very greedy. I find it very bizarre.
why does it have to change the way it looks? Most of the time these are hidden and it think the black box is perfectly fine for what it is. Its not like a watch or phone that you hold and carry with it all day long. Black sleek and hidden thats all you need for a set top box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.