Other Am I the only one fine with 64GB?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by linkgx1, Oct 5, 2018.

1. linkgx1 macrumors 68000

I'm looking at my 8 Plus's storage and realize I've only taken up maybe 26GB of storage. I'm thinking of getting the XS today but might stick with 64GB. Does anyone else feel the same? I tend to stream most of my media.

2. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

I'm about the same as you with about 23GB used on my 8+, so yeah, I'd be just fine with 64GB

3. Jonasl macrumors newbie

I’m the same. Have had my x since December last year, still have 40gb left. I definitely don’t need more than 64gb

4. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

64gb would be enough for me as well. Not everyone has thousands of photos and other files that require local storage.

5. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

Yes, you are the only person in the world who thinks 64GB of storage is fine. I would personally see if you could enter the Guinness book of world records.

6. adamgbiggs macrumors 6502

adamgbiggs

Same here, 64gb is more than enough for me, my i7 was only 32gb and only used about half the memory.

Adam.

7. LS3 POWER macrumors 65816

LS3 POWER

I had the 256gb X and when I went to the XS Max I downsized to the 64gb. I was only using 30 gigs of 256, so I knew 64 would be plenty for me. And that is with 9,000 pictures.

8. kasakka macrumors 68020

Fine for me, but for the price I wish 128 GB was the base price. It's really just Apple wanting to add more to their pile of money rather than provide consumer-friendly options.

9. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I have thousands of photos, but I use significantly less photo space since upgrading from my iPhone 7 Plus to X last year.

When you get a new phone. In my experiences your are only downloading basically the thumbnail versions of the photos / vides which takes up way less shortage. For example I was using roughly 20GB photo space on 7 Plus. Went to about 4GB on X.

10. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

I’m on 64GB Xs and have used up about 34GB so far.

11. niji Contributor

niji

presuming to be able to always connect to the net, and therefore being able to access to all my info (music, documents, films, photos, books), at any time, is an experiment i have often thought of, but never opted for in terms of paying for less storage space.
    i'm still in too many situations in countries where wifi is not readily available / too slow, or cellular is not constantly fast enough.
    so the thought of minimal storage space remains a thought experiment.

admiring all those who have bought the 512GB Xs Max.

12. mfrank29 macrumors newbie

Using iCloud storage for photos has made it possible for me to use a 64GB phone. Since it only caches under 3GB for my 16,000 photo library, it saves a ton of space. With my entire music library of 1500 songs and 123 apps, I still have 20GB free. If I really wanted to I could just use google play with all my music loaded to it and not store any local music. But that $36/year 200GB icloud storage is totally worth it and it is a backup of my entire library as well.

13. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

64GB is more than enough for me. I usually hover around 25GB used. The most I've used up is 46GB when I travel since I download shows/movies and music locally to my device.

14. Kiezpirat80 macrumors 6502

Kiezpirat80

24 GB left on my 64 GB iPhone X. I have everything in the cloud, so the smallest iPhone is always fine for me.

15. eyoungren, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018

eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

There was a time here on MacRumors where I was pilloried for buying more than I needed. I'm the type of person who buys what I want and if it happens to meet my needs then that's great.

But that drives some people nuts it seems, because apparently it's not okay with them that I 'waste' my own money buying more than what is necessary.

I'm bringing that up because whether 64 is more or less than you need or just right, you should get what you want or are comfortable with. If that actually happens to align with what you do need then great.

16. Rayban macrumors 6502

Rayban

I’ve had my 64gb iPhone X since launch and still have 30gigs left. 64gb is plenty for me at the moment.

17. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

And not everyone buys just what they need - even if they don't have thousands of photos and other files.

18. Smoothie macrumors 6502a

I've got a 128 GB iPhone 7 that's two years old. I'm only using 32 GB. Most of it is music and the next largest category is photos. I don't record many videos.

I recall reading that with SSDs in computers, sometimes there's an advantage to getting larger storage. Some larger drives have faster read/write speeds and larger drives can have more longevity because data can be written to more available cells, reducing the wear on a particular cell.

I don't know if this applies to flash storage in phones. And most people don't keep phones long enough to worry about the wear and tear on flash storage.

19. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

We have 2TB of iCloud storage and Apple Music for our family so we easily manage with 64GB phones.

20. gurase macrumors 6502

I’m comfortable with 64gb, but I plan on getting the 128gb XR for only $50 more. If I was getting the XS, I would make it work with 64gb.

21. Orangeman13 macrumors 6502

Orangeman13

I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

256 Xs Max for me.

22. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Plenty for me, 20gb out of 64 on my X everything on the cloud.

23. Hankcah macrumors regular

The price difference is $149. An extra $6/month if you pay over 2 years. I just knew the day would come when I'd run out of room and have to wipe out my photos and make sure they were backed up on my amazon prime photos app.

I get it, you can justify any spending if it's just $x/mo more, but considering it was 4 times the amount of storage, I didn't hesitate. Problems are more likely when you're limited on storage space.

It's a simple decoy tactic and it worked.

24. mjjferreira macrumors member

I also have 64gb and i have more than half left.