Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I don’t understand this. If you want to delete something, you just delete it. What’s with this deleting but keeping?! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It’s very simple every photo program except Apple’s with iCloud will allow you to delete a photo or video off the device without deleting it from the cloud in order to save space. Apple supposed optimized method is total crap.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I was left with about 2GBs free on my iPhone X 64GB after 10 months of use. With the Max 128GB would have done me but 256 was all I could get (that or another 64GB) so I made the leap.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It’s very simple every photo program except Apple’s with iCloud will allow you to delete a photo or video off the device without deleting it from the cloud in order to save space. Apple supposed optimized method is total crap.
Its been working perfectly fine for me over the years. When you say "crap", what do you mean? Apple's iCloud setup is not a photo backup system, it's a cloud sync solution. I think that's where people struggle to conceptualise it.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Its been working perfectly fine for me over the years. When you say "crap", what do you mean? Apple's iCloud setup is not a photo backup system, it's a cloud sync solution. I think that's where people struggle to conceptualise it.

I totally get what Apple's iCloud photo setup was designed to do, but the fact remains it doesn't optimize storage as well as it should. Like with most things Apple no ability to customize it either. But what it does do, it does well. The good news is there are far superior options especially if you want to roll with a 64GB iPhone to give you more control over your space.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I totally get what Apple's iCloud photo setup was designed to do, but the fact remains it doesn't optimize storage as well as it should. Like with most things Apple no ability to customize it either. But what it does do, it does well. The good news is there are far, far superior options especially if you want to roll with a 64GB iPhone.

I’ll be honest, never had any issues with optimise storage option over the years. I’ve been buying the smallest storage option since last few years and having iCloud storage just worked always.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I’ll be honest, never had any issues with optimise storage option over the years. I’ve been buying the smallest storage option since last few years and having iCloud storage just worked always.

Well good for you! I am proud for you, but unfortunately you don't speak for everyone!

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Well good for you! I am proud for you, but unfortunately you don't speak for everyone!

What kind of issues are you facing though?! You’re saying it’s crap / it doesn’t optimise well enough but you’re not actually mentioning any symptoms.

UnifiedMelody

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
You're not the only person who is fine with 64 GB or less storage. I'm only using about 34 GB.

I treat my phone like a ..... phone. What that means is that I don't store movies or music on it. Nor do I play games or store other crap that consumes a lot of space. Even social media apps consume a lot of space.

If you only use your phone to make calls, send messages, take photos, and navigation, then 64 GB should be plenty of space for every such user. I have over 2,000 photos on my phone. So unless you're absolutely addicted to photos or you take too many of them (where 1 or 2 would suffice), then you would not need more than 64 GB anytime soon.

Eventually, in a few years, when I accumulate more photos that take up more space (due to higher res), I may need more storage. But I always groom my photos. In my experience, people who are generally organized don't need a lot of storage. Let me give you an example. I travel abroad quite often with some of my friends. For every 100 photos they take, I'll take 20 similar ones and keep 10 best ones. They keep 100, never groom their phone, and of those 100, most are repetitive and downright unattractive. So they are always under the impression that they "need" 2 or 3 times as much space, where in reality, if they took a few minutes to organize their photos, they wouldn't be anywhere near that capacity.

Same goes for videos, which take considerably more space, especially at 4k. I'll usually delete the bad ones and even make montages of the best clips on certain trips. You may think that's a lot of work, but it's really not if you're consistent. I save hundreds of dollars every year over my friends because I'm always fine with the lowest capacity iPhones, whereas they have to spend hundreds more.
This is true
I had a friend saying she needed 512gb because her 256gb 7+ was full and i asked to see her photos... kill me now

50K PHOTOS... and **** 8-10 of them are repetitive wtf so lets say out of 1 out of 10 is good 9 get deleted that be easily 50k down to 5000 photos at best

if u put in effort to tidy ur album 64gb is aplenty... plus put it this way i dont even look at my photos more than 6 months old so technically they become miniature copies in the phone and only accessible via icloud wifi.

HeyKatie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
I miss having a 64gb phone. Had to get a 32gb 7 since I couldn't justify paying $299 for the 128gb.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Ho w many of those apps have you not used in months? I deleted Keynote and Garage Band realizing that I’d never used them. I just downloaded them because they were free.

I’ve recently turned on the app offload feature. Let’s see if that makes a difference.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Ho w many of those apps have you not used in months? I deleted Keynote and Garage Band realizing that I’d never used them. I just downloaded them because they were free.
I don’t use most of them often but it really depends. Like travel apps or food apps. It’s no point in deleting them because I’ll eventually download them again when I need them.

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
Apple's prices are getting a little steep for me so I make do with 64gb. 128 is probably my sweet spot. I can't justify the jump in price for 256. Already overpriced as it is imo.

Music was always my biggest storage culprit, but now that I have unlimited data I just stream it and don't store as much on my actual device.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I don’t use most of them often but it really depends. Like travel apps or food apps. It’s no point in deleting them because I’ll eventually download them again when I need them.

This is where the offload feature works really well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.