Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
I love how everyone thinks specs are everything. I too absolutely loved to watch the 4S absolutely destroy a quad core Android phone (with better specs everywhere else too) in a 1080p video export. Specs aren't anything unless it has software backing it up. Plus when you have great software backing it up you don't even need those "top of the line specs."

Plus I lost all respect for Samsung like last week.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
the one x is actually a quad core

The Samsung Quad core is superior. It's faster and it's even more efficient on battery. It's even more efficient than Dual Core CPU's.

If you want a Quad core phone, get a Samsung Galaxy S3.

----------

I am not a troll, i am just genuinely wondering if any one else is jumping ship to the gs3.

i do think the iPhone is a good phone but the screen is way too small for me and i would like a quad core processor. Is there any one that is sticking with there iPhone or going to android?

Yep me too. It looks like the Samsung Galaxy S3 will have even better battery life than the S2 ( the S2 already had better battery life than the iPhone 4S ).

But I'm going to hold on and wait what the iPhone 5 will be like. I'm not in a hurry to buy a new phone.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I am not a troll, i am just genuinely wondering if any one else is jumping ship to the gs3.

i do think the iPhone is a good phone but the screen is way too small for me and i would like a quad core processor. Is there any one that is sticking with there iPhone or going to android?

Does the PC you are typing this on have a quad-core processor? Most likely not: it's probably dual core or even a single core processor. Can your PC do advanced photo editing? Most likely yes.

Can a quad-core phone do advanced photo editing? Technically, I suppose yes. In reality, no, it can not do advanced photo editing.

It is not about the cores. Most developers can't even code for that many cores. Even now, there are only few developers taking true advantage of the dual-core processors out there.

----------

The Samsung Quad core is superior. It's faster and it's even more efficient on battery. It's even more efficient than Dual Core CPU's.

Not really true. The quad-core processor in the One X is based on the Cortex A9 architecture. And than they've got four cores with this architecture.

Samsung's own quad-core processor is based on the same architecture.

You are referring to the production line. Samsung's new quad-core processors will be produced on a 32 nm production line. Their old dual-core processors were produced on a 45 nm production line. The first production line can create smaller chips, and basically: the smaller the chip, the more power-efficient.

They could also produce a dual-core processor on a 32 nm line. And in terms of battery life, a dual-core processor produced on a 32 nm line would result in longer battery life than a quad-core processor on a 32 nm line.

----------

Yep me too. It looks like the Samsung Galaxy S3 will have even better battery life than the S2 ( the S2 already had better battery life than the iPhone 4S ).

But I'm going to hold on and wait what the iPhone 5 will be like. I'm not in a hurry to buy a new phone.
There's nothing known about the Galaxy S3's battery life. All that is known is that their quad-core processor will be more power efficient than their dual-core processors because they switched from production lines.

However, if the rumours are true about the higher resolution, than that could mean all that 'saved energy' will be used by the display (since every pixel more uses more power).

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009

----------

yes buy a phone which hasn't been released nor tested; just trust the specs on paper... :rolleyes:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I hope you're the only one because only an imbecile would commit to buying something that hasn't yet been announced and, for the sake of the human race, we need to use a little common sense.

But yes I'll probably get one if I like the features AFTER it has been announced :p

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
I hope you're the only one because only an imbecile would commit to buying something that hasn't yet been announced and, for the sake of the human race, we need to use a little common sense.

But yes I'll probably get one if I like the features AFTER it has been announced :p

I'd bet there are a gazillion people out there that will commit to buying the next apple product that hasn't even been announced yet.

Unlike years ago, most savvy people have so much more information available on a new tech gadget long before it ever hits the market.
Nothing like actually touching one though before actually paying for one, but today people are willing to buy ahead of the actual release.

I just bought the Samsung Galaxy Note, and release that the Galaxy S3 will probably have better specs, but thats the way things go.

----------

I love how everyone thinks specs are everything. I too absolutely loved to watch the 4S absolutely destroy a quad core Android phone (with better specs everywhere else too) in a 1080p video export. Specs aren't anything unless it has software backing it up. Plus when you have great software backing it up you don't even need those "top of the line specs."

Plus I lost all respect for Samsung like last week.

I agree about the "specs" issue. The user experience is what matters to me.

What did Sammy do last week anyway?

saberz

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
Today I went to the AT&T store to mess around with the Android phones (contract upgrade is available to me) and just wanted a feel for them. Not upgrading until I know more about the next iPhone, but below are my thoughts. Wanted to mess around with the current gen phone so I know what to expect with a bigger phone when the GS3 does come about. I am currently using an iPhone 4 and had an hour to mess around so I did.

Galaxy S2 - Skyrocket

I think the phone is nice looking, plastic but kinda upscale. Prefer the black over the white any day. Phone is "okay" to hold in the hands but still kinda bulky for full one handed operation(width wise). Had somewhat of a tough time reaching across for typing let alone swiping. Now here is my issue, and this can be said with every single other device I messed with there:

Samsung Galaxy Note
Nitro

The screen colors seem superficial, like its using Nvidia's Digital Vibrance at MAX. Colors appeared to be over saturated. This was only really apparent on the home screen with the icons and any wallpaper I set on the device. Browsing seemed like a mixed bag depending on the device.

The Galaxy note when browsing appeared to be really dim to me even with full brightness on. On the homescreen/launcher area it was bright and pretty vivid minus some oversaturation of colors. Open the browser and it dimmed, looked almost grainy. The text is no where near as clear as my iPhone 4's. Also still experienced the screen lag when scrolling between home screens like I did back when it first came out.

The Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, screen was a bit better, but suffered the same over saturation and dimming/text clarity. No scrolling lag what so ever though, pretty fast though I don't know why. Aren't the Note and Galaxy S2 almost the same?

Nitro wasn't nearly as refined screen wise(actually kind of reminded me of an old G1 screen clarity wise, was decent speed wise though.)

Now the only phone there that I messed with that actually looked GOOD was the HTC Vivid. Bright, clear and seems like a nice sturdy design(case wise) was much heavier to the others for sure, but to fat(thick). Not sure if this was because of the units being demo's, but I wasn't really all that impressed. Anyone who says their screens are as sharp and as clear needs to put the devices side by side and really look at the screens.

Also I don't know if this is an issue with the devices as well (AMOLED equipped) but lots of burn-in on these test devices. When browsing I saw the burned in images of the home screen icons on the bottom of the browser.

I'm still going to mess around and poke in at other stores and maybe ask them if I can mess around with a new device inbox or test unit they are using themselves. The Note for me at least was WAY to big, the Galaxy S2 SkyRocket was ok size wise, probably some growing pains to get used to. An hour isn't really much time to mess around with the phones, and again these issues could have been due to them being demo units and having the crap beaten out of them.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Today I went to the AT&T store to mess around with the Android phones (contract upgrade is available to me) and just wanted a feel for them. Not upgrading until I know more about the next iPhone, but below are my thoughts. Wanted to mess around with the current gen phone so I know what to expect with a bigger phone when the GS3 does come about. I am currently using an iPhone 4 and had an hour to mess around so I did.

Galaxy S2 - Skyrocket

I think the phone is nice looking, plastic but kinda upscale. Prefer the black over the white any day. Phone is "okay" to hold in the hands but still kinda bulky for full one handed operation(width wise). Had somewhat of a tough time reaching across for typing let alone swiping. Now here is my issue, and this can be said with every single other device I messed with there:

Samsung Galaxy Note
Nitro

The screen colors seem superficial, like its using Nvidia's Digital Vibrance at MAX. Colors appeared to be over saturated. This was only really apparent on the home screen with the icons and any wallpaper I set on the device. Browsing seemed like a mixed bag depending on the device.

The Galaxy note when browsing appeared to be really dim to me even with full brightness on. On the homescreen/launcher area it was bright and pretty vivid minus some oversaturation of colors. Open the browser and it dimmed, looked almost grainy. The text is no where near as clear as my iPhone 4's. Also still experienced the screen lag when scrolling between home screens like I did back when it first came out.

The Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, screen was a bit better, but suffered the same over saturation and dimming/text clarity. No scrolling lag what so ever though, pretty fast though I don't know why. Aren't the Note and Galaxy S2 almost the same?

Nitro wasn't nearly as refined screen wise(actually kind of reminded me of an old G1 screen clarity wise, was decent speed wise though.)

Now the only phone there that I messed with that actually looked GOOD was the HTC Vivid. Bright, clear and seems like a nice sturdy design(case wise) was much heavier to the others for sure, but to fat(thick). Not sure if this was because of the units being demo's, but I wasn't really all that impressed. Anyone who says their screens are as sharp and as clear needs to put the devices side by side and really look at the screens.

Also I don't know if this is an issue with the devices as well (AMOLED equipped) but lots of burn-in on these test devices. When browsing I saw the burned in images of the home screen icons on the bottom of the browser.

I'm still going to mess around and poke in at other stores and maybe ask them if I can mess around with a new device inbox or test unit they are using themselves. The Note for me at least was WAY to big, the Galaxy S2 SkyRocket was ok size wise, probably some growing pains to get used to. An hour isn't really much time to mess around with the phones, and again these issues could have been due to them being demo units and having the crap beaten out of them.

I can't see the option on my S2 running Ice Cream Sandwich and it's been a few months since I used Gingerbread, but I'm told that the browser has a separate brightness setting.

Google Chrome is very bright, same as every other app.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL

Galaxy S2 - Skyrocket

Samsung Galaxy Note
Nitro

Personally if your considering the Skyrocket and felt the Note was too big, I would go for the regular GSII (i777), unless you want LTE. But hspa+ is more than fast enough on the i777 and way more coverage than LTE. Exynos processor is more powerful and efficient, and it's a great size at 4.3", it feels smaller than it is.

There's an app called screen adjuster that I used to play with the settings for saturation etc. Very cool. Never seen any burn in, nor friends, had this phone from launch. If the demo unit's are left on 24/7 and barely touch, than maybe, I mean same goes for tv's, even current Plasmas if left on a still image long enough so.....

Last edited:

saberz

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
Yeah i figured if they were left on but they were all going into standby fairly quick (1 min) so wasnt to sure. The store i went to didnt have the gs2 for me to compare. I was just looking around and wanted to see how they felt and see how fluid they were. Id be waiting for a gs3 and figure it would be the same form factor size wise to the gs2. Note was just disappointing (again could have been the demo unit)

Text clarity though wasnt great, actually saw the pixels in the text(jaggies). I wish i could test drive it for a bit but be able to return it and have them reinstate two year upgrade. Heard nightmares about that though.

Json81

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2012
Quad vs dualcore is pretty much the same as computers.
While quad is nice and all, there's very few applications that will actually use it.
Dual vs single is another thing as the OS itself can decide to run on one core and run the application on the other core.

And every high end phone out there will be able to run any app/game you throw at it, most users will not do rendering/compilation/thing that would traditionally benefit from a faster cpu on their phone.

I will really not say that development come to it's end, but tomorrows phones won't have any noticeable benefits over todays phones unless apps change.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Yeah i figured if they were left on but they were all going into standby fairly quick (1 min) so wasnt to sure. The store i went to didnt have the gs2 for me to compare. I was just looking around and wanted to see how they felt and see how fluid they were. Id be waiting for a gs3 and figure it would be the same form factor size wise to the gs2. Note was just disappointing (again could have been the demo unit)

Text clarity though wasnt great, actually saw the pixels in the text(jaggies). I wish i could test drive it for a bit but be able to return it and have them reinstate two year upgrade. Heard nightmares about that though.
I'd wait for the GS3, no doubt it'll kick ass, only question is "when" Rumors say they may try for a world release across all carriers (may/june?), but I kinda doubt it. Pry be like before where the U.S. is last, which was Nov last year when the i777 launched.

But I wonder if they'll do variations as before, each carrier almost had a different version of the Galaxy (whether bigger screen, lte, different processors etc). The i777 already has almost no bezel room, damn near edge to edge glass already lol. They'd have to shrink the top and bottom (making the capacitive buttons part of the screen). Think the rumor was even at 4.6" it was basically the same size as the 4.3" overall or just barely bigger.

Guess we'll see.

saberz

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
Yeah I am going to be waiting for the iPhone release before making a decision. I have money invested in apps on the device and would like to refrain from having to buy similiar apps over again. Just a few observations I was concerned about but when I have more time I'll mess around some more and see if I can tinker with the brightness on browser.

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
United States
Does the PC you are typing this on have a quad-core processor? Most likely not: it's probably dual core or even a single core processor. Can your PC do advanced photo editing? Most likely yes.

well first off i am not sitting here typing this on a pc, I'm typing this on a mac.

second of all i am typing this on an iMac 27in ch 2011 with a quad core i7 with hyper threading for a total of 8 threads. And it can do advanced photo editing ;)

also quad core isn't a need but upgrades are always welcome

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
well first off i am not sitting here typing this on a pc, I'm typing this on a mac.

second of all i am typing this on an iMac 27in ch 2011 with a quad core i7 with hyper threading for a total of 8 threads. And it can do advanced photo editing ;)

also quad core isn't a need but upgrades are always welcome

A mac is a personal computer.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
all i am typing this on an iMac 27in ch 2011 with a quad core i7 with hyper threading for a total of 8 threads. And it can do advanced photo editing ;)

BRTky.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.