Am I the only one left with an original iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TapHappy, Oct 31, 2009.

1. TapHappy macrumors regular

Got my iPhone on day one! If you still rockin' the original iPhone I want to hear from ya! If you got your iPhone on day one a little extra love to ya!

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I still have a 1st gen iPhone, I got it for a Christmas present back in 2007 which was 1-2 months after it was first available in the UK.

It has had a few knocks, bumps and scratches. It has been pretty rock solid the only slight niggle was about 3 weeks ago the ear piece speaker didn't work on calls but cleaning the phone jack solved it.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Still have mine and if it had 3g I would use it all the time. Looks like an apple product. Build quality screen etc are alot better!

4. TapHappy thread starter macrumors regular

If it weren't for wifi hotspots I would have bit the bullet by now! the 3G/GS don't feel as substantial as the original.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

7. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

My friend at school owns one..
    You bought a perfectly good product, which Apple says they will continually upgrade so I see nothing wrong with it. But there ARE some exclusive features to the iPhone 3G/3GS which make upgrading seem worthwhile...

8. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I just saw someone with one and it made me wish mine still had the same design.

9. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

My friend still has the iPhone 1st generation. He loves that thing like its his baby. He's holding off to upgrade too (hes has an upgrade since the 3GS came out).

10. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

My friend still has his 1G iPhone, he's just too lazy to upgrade IMO :rolleyes:.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

12. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

You are missing out buddy! I still have my 1G but I use it now only for testing. The difference between the 3Gs (black) and the 1G is humongous. From speaker volume to...well, everything is exponentially better. :p

13. theblueone macrumors member

My wife and I still have ours. Mine is from day one, and hers is from a couple months after. We both plan to use them until they stop working.

14. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I don't understand why you think you would be the only one? I have all three versions and use them all everyday.

The 3GS has a real iPhone sim and the 2G/3G use a GoPhone sim. I switch it between the two depending on my moods.

15. specify macrumors regular

Yes I do, I might upgrade this upcoming summer if I deem it worthy enough though :)

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You know what would be sooooo sweet?

Take the iPhone 3G design… use Aluminum instead of plastic (same shape) but make the Apple logo a matte-black plastic so the antennas can be placed behind it for a good signal.

What do you think?

17. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Havent had it since day 1 but ive have had my first Gen for a while. Mine is unlocked and jailbroken so i have no plans to upgrade to a newer one. The 2G is just easier to do things (jailbreaking)with with no delays like the 3GS.
    I cant use the 3G network anyways so it dont matter to me to have a newer version and actually i like the alluminum back better on it anyways as it is a more solid build than the others. I dont have to worry about cracks.
    I DO however wish the speaker was louder. That is my only beef with it but i can get a bit louder ringtones using Myxer.

18. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

Still have mine, although it's waiting to have a new mobo installed after my iPod HiFi decided to fry it. Got the parts yesterday, will fix it Monday. I've used the opportunity to give the aluminium cover a slick polished look.

19. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

New iMac?

20. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I still have mine and use it daily, but as an iPod touch now. I got mine right after the September 2007 price drop, when the 4gig was being sold for $299 until they ran out. This was when the reaction was somewhere along the lines of "OMG!!!!! $299 for an iPhone, what a deal!" :p

The only reason I don't use it as my main phone anymore is because it's only a 4gig. I bought my friend's old 16gig 3G (he got a 3GS because he likes to be on the bleeding edge), unlocked it, and am happily using my old iPhone plan on it - I can even use 3G!

21. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I don't think that tiny bit of plastic at the Apple logo would help the reception much...

22. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Mine is still running well and perfect. I'm using it as a development device.

23. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

my girlfriend uses mine jb'd to orange uk. she's getting a new 3gs so when that happens I will be giving to my Mum to use on T-mobile. Still a great device and the metal back feels great!

24. warburg macrumors 6502

Believe it or not, the authorized Mac dealer who installed my new MacBook Pro yesterday still uses a 1st generation iphone. :eek: