Am I the only one NOT ok with the iPod Touch not having been upgraded for two years ?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Augure, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Augure macrumors regular

So, like the Macbook Air, I think the iPod Touch is a perfect solution to have all the capabilities of the iPhone 4 except 3G or Phone.

BUT, and I'm going to tell it all, I know that since Steve Jobs death Apple do not care about customers or innovations anymore since there enough stupid people not just to buy their product, but not to complain.

For exemple, the iPod Touch has been upgraded at all, I'm not only talking about hardware but also about memory capacity AND the ****in PRICE in 2 years !

Even though Apple had the decency to at least upgrade the memory capacity or to cut the price when didn't plan on updating their devices, with the iPod Touch is the first time that Apple doesn't even bother. Do they really sell a lot of iPod Touch? Do people really pay 200 euros for 8GB of memory and a hundred more for 16GB?

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

2 Years? Really?

173 days ≠ 2 years

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPod_Touch

I also expect it to be less expensive, and to have higher capacity, and to be updated to the have the latest processor and graphics capabilities.
    The cameras should be better also.

Don't be fooled by the iPad, Apple knows that the iPod Touch is the point of entry for young kids into the Apple world.

3. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

^It's not been quite two years, more like a year and a half. It's been that many days since they released the white iPT.

There are several threads over this already.

4. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

Yes, I've been waiting a long time to upgrade from my 2g. :mad:

Hopefully the next one will have the same 5MP camera as the iPad.

5. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Yes its all because Steve Jobs died... You make me ****ing sick. Apple is a company, a company interested in making money. The iPad and iPhone make them money so they will continue to upgrade them, they arent a god damn charity or non-profit organization.

6. Illumination macrumors regular

That device is 32GB, not 16. While the camera is definitely nothing to be excited about, it is still a solid device. Overpriced? Yes, for the 8GB model. Considering this is 2012, not 2007, $200 for 8GB (of which only about 5.5 is usable) is just silly.

But, it is all about marketing. If Apple improved the iPod Touch's camera, capacity, RAM, etc. it would have (probably only marginally) hurt sales of the iPhone 4S at launch time. I think MANY people upgraded to iPhones at that point because the 4S had so many better features than the iPod touch, so more people were inclined to buy an iPhone. This is different than when the iPhone 4 came out, and the next iPod touch had the same specs (pretty much).

McGiord is correct in the fact that Apple knows the iPod touch is many people's way into the iOS ecosystem, and for newer customers, the way into Apple. It's a pretty safe bet that come fall Apple will do something with the iPod touch, because it does generate a lot of sales, and not everyone wants an iPhone yet. The other iPods; however, will probably not be so lucky.

7. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

You're right, it's not 2 years yet.
    173 days ≠ the time since the last feature upgrade. 173 (now 174) days ago, they offered an alternative colour, but it was still the exact same machine.

As of today, it's been 571 days since the last actual upgrade.

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Honestly, I don't understand the notion, "iPod Touch sales would cannibalize iPhone sales if it was too similar in specs". You don't choose an iPod Touch over an iPhone because of things like memory or camera resolution compared to price. If you want a phone and internet on the go, you get the iPhone. If you don't want those things, you get a Touch. Buying an iPhone only for the camera or specs is completely stupid, I can't see too many people saying "Well, I won't use the phone or internet but this camera is much better then the Touch!" :rolleyes:

9. BreadedVirus macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

The iPod Touch 4G is outdated yes, but it still does what i want it to do without any issues. Listen to music, twitter, reading the news and use it as a PDA to name a few. I mainly use it around the house, so no problems for me.

If it gets a update that would be great, but if not i will still use it.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple still cares about customers; otherwise people would not buy Apple products.

The iPod Touch may be on the way to EOL. They are selling fewer of them and more people are going to iPads or iPhones instead. There is no requirement for Apple to continue updating the iPod Touch if they don't feel they would make enough money from doing so.

11. CoolSpot macrumors regular

Honestly, ipods are a dead end.

People are pretty much guaranteed to have a cellphone and having a separate device that just plays music is pretty archaic. The same thing applies to portable GPS (on android phones like mine), gaming, cameras, maps, etc.

You can have one device that does all that AND handles all of the important communication channels.

Why would apple want to sell ipods for $300 instead of iphones for $700 (to carriers)?

12. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

I have a fourth-generation iPod touch on iOS 5.1 and its hideously slow. I have an iPhone so it doesn't matter for me, but for other people, the iPod touch should definitely get updated.

13. ThunderSkunk, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

The big problem is, the app store doesn't hold previous versions of apps that work with the earlier iOS's, so the device continually loses apps over time, as devs upgrade them to work with iOS5+.

I have an 32GB 3rd Gen here, bought in 2009, two years ago for my SO. The firmware updates stopped at iOS 4 a year later. Six of the 20 apps I had used on it previously will install today. Soon it'll be a paperweight. ...a shame considering the hardware works & is good as new.

Though early adopters usually get burned somehow, I guess I just didn't expect Apple to abandon the device quite so quickly after I bought it.

I've decided against buying iOS devices for our offices for a few years til its all a bit more ironed out. Planned obsolescence is one thing, but this is bordering on forced obsolescence.

14. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

If you bought it in 2009, that's closer to 3 years.

How long do you expect them to keep it up? Personally, I think three years is BEYOND good.

15. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

End of the year. So two years and a few months. ..though it was suffering this problem six months ago so I could just as well say it only lasted a year and a half.

Point is, they build these devices well, of glass and metal and quality hardware, that continues to function without a glitch, but they're made disposable anyway... by the software. ...entirely by choice.

..beyond good? Are you a child? Maybe you think it's a hoot blowing money on well made gear only to throw it in a landfill a year or two later for no sensible reason, but those of us who actually work for every dollar we make generally expect better, as evidenced by all the people complaining & looking for the best firmware for these things. I didn't crab about dropping PPC or Rosetta or excluding new apps from previous models of iPhones & iPads. ...but effectively killing off several years of products after such a short time out of sheer laziness, that's gonna cost em our business til they address this.

16. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

1. There are a large number of people that either don't talk enough to justify an $80/mo plan, or just use VOIP services, or are req'd to use an employer-supplied phone.

2. Do you have any idea what an iPod touch is?

3. It doesn't sound like it. Look it up.

4. Or, if you could really use an iPhone, but without the costly phone portion, there's this, an iPad mini.

Except, as we're seeing, Apple treats this as a disposable toy.

17. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

I don't understand what you expect them to do. Just sit on their hands and make no advancements? It just doesn't make sense to me.

What you choose to call 'sheer laziness' I call advancement. I want the best stuff they can make.

And thanks, but yeah, I work for every dime I have too. Oh, and no, I'm not a child, but again, thanks for asking.

18. Bear macrumors G3

My flip phone plan costs $35 a month. To go to an iPhone it would be $80 a month. That's $540 extra a year having an iPhone connected to the US cell phone system.

Finding free WiFi is not really an issue where I am and usually go.

Now an important issue, I can drain my iPod Touch in a few hours of use. My flip phone needs recharging every few days under heavy use. Under my regular use I try to charge it once a week. I'd hate to miss an important call because listening to music or watching a video drained my phone battery.

And the iPod Touch is not archaic and it does a lot more than just play music.

Companies that have tunnel vision stop making money after a while. Dropping the iPod Touch in my opinion would only happen if people at Apple got tunnel vision. A 7" iPad if it happens is because those people at Apple are seeing outside the tunnel.

19. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

No it's not. What network are you on?
    If it's AT&T it would be only 20$ more a month for 300MB of data.
    That would really raise your cost to $55 Dollars a month, not 80...
    If it's VZW - it would be 30 a month for 2gb - more expensive but still $65 a month, not 80.
    If it's Sprint - it would be a total of $69 A moth for UNLIMITED data and UNLIMITED text.

And if you call a VZW agent you can get a 15$ a month plan with 150MB, not much but still helpful.

If you already use wifi, just go for an iPhone dude.
    Really you're missing out on the convience of a smartphone.

Another option would be to get an Android (EWW) from a cheap carrier like virigin which has plans at (with unlimited data and messaging) at 35 a month for 300 mins, 45 for 1200 mins, and 55 for unlimited everything.
    and tether your iPod to the Android when you want to go on the web when you need to. When you don't you still have a smartphone which is great (even if it is android) for browsing the web or taking a quick snapshot. And some even have those "missing" features from the updated iPod that you're looking for.

20. Bear, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

Bear macrumors G3

You missed two important facts, and I messed up my arithmetic a little. The facts you missed are that I would have to change my base plan and the fact that I said it would go from $35 to $80, not up by $80. My error was I added $10 extra so it would go to $70 - that's still an extra $420 a year for a data plan. (And that's not counting whatever extra taxes get lumped in.)

And as for the convenience of a smartphone? What am I missing except for it conveniently dying because I used the apps too much? Why pay for cell data when WiFi is free. Why should I need to tether the iPod Touch to a phone to use the web since it works over WiFi?

21. Irishman, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

Irishman macrumors 68030

So, let's make sure we understand the situation here, before any of us go off half-cocked. I mean, that kind of ill-thought-out response wouldn't be in anyone's best interests, would it?

No. Of course not.

With that out of the way, let me make sure I understand your complaint. As an Apple user and fan of sorts (something which I am assuming since you referred to Apple's Macbook Air and iPod Touch products as perfect solutions), you feel somewhat put out that Apple hasn't seen fit to upgrade the hardware in the iPod Touch so that you would feel more compelled to part with your hard-earned moola in order to buy one. Am I correct?

And you couple this in a rather cause-and-effect fashion to the death of Steve Jobs, something which took place last fall, did it not? And further, you feel that Apple's concern for the happiness of its customers has diminished somewhat since his death, do you not?

Would you then agree, that the death of Steve Jobs made a powerful impact on the lives of those with whom he worked? Some with whom he worked every day for 17 years? Certainly, those closest to him would have felt that loss more keenly than the average Apple customer and fan, would you not agree?

I love that we're on the same page, you and I. So, let's move on, shall we?

Is it not fair to state, that of all the products and services that were in the pipeline upon Steve Jobs' passing, he played a prominent role in their development, including what got greenlit before he died, did he not? Good. This would include the new iPad, the AppleTV 3, and iCloud, would it not?

And it would also include the new iPod Touch, would it not? Ohhhhh, wait, no it wouldn't. Because Apple didn't release one. So, of you're going to place some blame on post-Steve Jobs Apple for not giving a rip about its customers' happiness, you're going to have to wait a little bit longer, until hardware that he didn't have a hand in get released, wouldn't you agree?

A wise man once told me "the less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect".

22. Scott549 macrumors regular

This is what the iPod Touch needs in order to become the iPod to end all iPods:

1. Faster processor and more RAM. I often get delays of 10-15 seconds waking up the iPod while music is playing.

2. At least 128 gb of memory and/or an expansion slot.

3. 3g capability.

Just my opinion, of course.

23. OffBrand macrumors member

Why would they pass on additional profits? I'm firmly in the Ipod Touch camp because I don't want to pay for a data plan. I know I'm not alone. I'm hoping the Touch will get updated later this year. Otherwise, I'm considering Samsung or Sony's upcoming Android Walkman as a replacement. They have slightly lower screen resolutions, but they have larger screens, SD slots (Samsung), and FM tuners.

24. steerpikegg macrumors member

How about improving the god-awful sound quality - surely the no. 1 priority for an audio player?

25. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

That would be the iPhone then.

The iPod touch isn't really important to Apple. The iPod touch is sort of like the step child of the family. The iPhone is more important to Apple, not some product catered to the teenage market.