Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

porkchop9000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2016
I see a lot of people complaining about the new MacBook Pro.

Am I the only one that isn't have problems? I use it for work, use VMware fusion regularly, and I use the CalDigi dock.

The only problem I've run into is that the dock kind of locks up the computer if I have VMware fusion open while I connect it. If I connect the dock 1st then open it, it's fine.

I've had a couple weird things happen, but nothing terrible.

Gorgo

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2016
I love mine to. 15" 1TB SSD and Radeon 460. Its fast, silent and simply beautiful. I can't understand most of the complains I hear. The Screen is so good. The Radeon 460 is fast and has a TDP of just 35W. The Processor is fast enough for me. Ok The price is high and the lack of standards ports can cause some problems but im ok with that. I understand what Apple is aiming for as a long team target.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I like it... Love it? Not yet.. Maybe once the TB matures I will come to love it but for now, I like it well enough..

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
If you love it , it's all that matters. While I plan to return mine, I still think it's a great laptop, it just costs me £1000 more than a 2015 returb, if only it was cheaper ...Enjoy

Pootmatoot

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2014
I see a lot of people complaining about the new MacBook Pro.

Am I the only one that isn't have problems? I use it for work, use VMware fusion regularly, and I use the CalDigi dock.

The only problem I've run into is that the dock kind of locks up the computer if I have VMware fusion open while I connect it. If I connect the dock 1st then open it, it's fine.

I've had a couple weird things happen, but nothing terrible.

It depends what you need if for. It's perfect for many use cases (although oddly priced), but abandons other users who have used Apple for years.

How you feel depends which group you're in.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
I have the high end 15 and so far it's been running really well. No problems that have been reported. I have my 460 on all the time. Running CS6 and 1 CC Adobe DX. I do have fire vault off so I have not run into any glitches. I'm connectet to 3 external drives a host of USB stuff and a NEC 27 inch wide gamut monitor. This is actually my second one the first was silver and I returned for space grey. No issues with either one. Now I will say before I migrated over I completely cleaned out my old system and cleaned a hardware issue as well. So my migration over to 2016 was very clean out of the gate. I think that helps a lot myself, plus I went Sierra to Sierra OS as to not create any conflicts. I do run a very clean machine anyway. I depend heavily on processing Raw files and Photoshop and In Design but these programs are not CC versions but CS6.

So far coming from a high end 2013 I have been happy with the new upgrades and USB-C ports. Touchbar not needed but it is useful sometimes. Really no complaints

Minor niggle my mouse disappears once in awhile. And sometimes it may take a try or two to activate mail when it's open. Nothing major but maybe clear up on a update

Last edited:

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
Vs. my 15" Retina and loaded MacBook Air, all great laptops, but the latest incarnation is the best yet.

Rated 1-10

SCREEN

Old Ret. 15"------------7
Air----------------------5
TMBP-------------------9

KEYBOARD

Old Ret. 15"-----------7
Air---------------------7
TMBP------------------9

TRACKPAD

Old Ret. 15"-----------7
TMBP------------------9

BATTERY LIFE

Old Ret. 15"-----------7
Air---------------------9
TMBP------------------7

SPEED OVERALL

Old Ret. 15"-----------6
Air---------------------5
TMBP------------------7

BUILD QUALITY

Old Ret. 15"-----------7
TMBP------------------9

LAP COMFORT

Old Ret. 15"-----------6
Air---------------------9
TMBP------------------6

SOUND

Old Ret. 15"-----------6
Air---------------------4
TMBP------------------7

Add on the touch-bar and this is best MacBook I've used thus far. Next year we'll see processor bump and other improvements, so looking forward to trading up (yes, again!) then or perhaps the year after.

R.

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Though I am having problems, it's still the best computer I've every owned and I love it.

My touchbar doesn't work and my trackpad palm rejection doesn't work. The rest is an absolute dream.

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Five weeks now with my Non-TB 13". Best Mac laptop I've ever owned (as expected), and I've had a lot. :D A great form vs. function ratio; lots of power packed in to a 3lb easily transportable package. Battery life for me has been at least 8 hours per charge. Screen is beautiful. No issues with dongles (already dealt with that with a previous 12" MacBook, so water under the bridge.) Incredibly stable, handles everything I've thrown at it.

runner77

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2016
Berlin
Most people do not have any issues.

People go online and write posts mostly when they are unsatisfied, that's why it only seems that everyone has issues with the MBP. I did not feel the need to write a post about how good the computer runs, despite it being the best laptop I've ever had as a software engineer.

I'm very happy with the MBP 15", 2.9, 460, 512.

I have none of the discussed issues and get 7-11 hours battery time per charge, depending on what I do. Scrolling in Safari or the applications folder (with 90 apps) works fluidly. No GPU/screen issues so far. And I could not figure out any scratches on the device.

This is an awesome machine for me and worth every penny.

The only thing I could complain about is that the letter G and H sound slightly different than the letter Q for example when typing, but that is peanuts.

tayy

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2016
Got mine yesterday :) Love it so far!

13 Inch 2.9 Ghz, 16GB and 256 GB SSD.

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
I'm really loving mine, it's just a great experience from top to bottom, the display, the trackpad, the keyboard, the speakers. Everything I interact with is just impeccably done on this machine. The ports aren't a big issue to me and I actually enjoy not worrying about which way I have the cables or which side of the computer I need to charge on. I really enjoy the flexibility of it. I really like the touch bar too and it's already making things simple even with shortcuts. It does take a while to integrate with my normal habits but once I do it's usually an improvement. Overall just really enjoying using this thing, I don't have any major issues, runs fast and seems to handle everything I need.

CaliKW

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2016
Loving my tbMBP
I have 15", 512GB/Radeon 455 and LOVE it.

I debated long about saving $1,000 CAD and going for a refurbed 2015. Now I can say Im glad I went the route I went.

The only issue is the screen is SO DAMN GOOD, when I hooked it up to my 40" 4K monitor, looking at that the sharpness is 'meh'... :)

(Yes, a 40" 4K Samsung 6270 TV as monitor... once you get used to that screen real estate... its hard to go back. Right now its only 30hz as the USB-C to HDMI adapters don't do 60hz yet -- but my monoprice HDMI 2.0 adapter is in transit.

zokstar

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2016
Sydney
Love mine! I upgrade from an early 2015 13" to 15" TB!

I still need to get used to the KB and TB.

Last edited:

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
Only used mine for a few hours and the only issue I have found is the Touch ID button is kinda loose. No issues so far with screen / gpu or touch bar so far

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
The only thing I could complain about is that the letter G and H sound slightly different than the letter Q for example when typing, but that is peanuts.

YES! I made a thread about this actually haha. It's such a minor thing that I felt stupid even posting about it.

Chiming in to say that I love nearly everything about my 13" tMBP and still marvel at how well built the machine is every time I pick it up. The screen is gorgeous, the keyboard is fantastic (typing faster than ever), Touch ID is super convenient, the Touch Bar is cool and has endless possibilities (especially with recent BetterTouchTool integration), and the speakers are the best I've heard on any laptop.

Battery life is a little less than expected, but in my opinion it's still good, as I get anywhere from 6-8 hours with my typical workload. Not as good as my previous MacBook Air, but fine for the way I use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.