am i the only one to think the new MBA...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by AJ.G, Oct 21, 2010.

1. AJ.G macrumors member

ive never actually owned an MBA,
    and i dont know what this whole Rev A,B,C is about. i only ever had macbooks,and imacs.
    but this morning i saw the new MBA was out, so i headed over to the apple site.
    and it looked amazng!!!! the design, the features, the "magical" marketing apple uses to suck people in... like me.
    but i was pondering about the specs page,
    and the MBA specs are pretty crap.
    i love how apple puts "only 999$" which dont get me wrong its cheap,
    and i realise its for light workers, and nternet browsing, mail and im.
    i understand that.
    but 999$ for 64gb??? thats pretty pathetic in my opinion.
    and no SD card slot on the 11.6 model?:(
    not a rant.. jst wnt to see if other people feel the same way.:confused:

EDIT: sorry, just looked around the MBA subforum and realised there was already millions of these threads.
    pleaase keep the flaming for another thread :p

2. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

It's definitely a case of getting Less for your money.

I really don't think it's worth my money, but there are reasons why it's expensive. It's the SSD. We know SSDs are expensive, but we just haven't gotten use to being forced to pay for it. In case of the MBA, there is no other choice because of space restrictions.

So in other words, I know the reason for the pricing......
    Do I like it and will i buy it?? No....

P.S. The one thing i DO like is the higher res screen on the 13". Wish my MBP had it!

3. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

It's a totally lame upgrade and Apple ought to be ashamed of putting something like this out. But it will likely satisfy the starving Air crowd who began to feel like their favorite laptop had been abandoned by Apple. Hopefully Apple is working on a new model with a low power high output processor in the Spring.

4. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

hello?!? -- someone's got to pay toward the muilti-billion dollar  money bin

5. CaptainJeff macrumors member

It's 64GB of SSD, not HDD. That's a huge difference, in terms of both price and performance. Plus, 64GB is actually a perfectly decent amount of space for the market the Air targets.

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Read: It's a totally lame upgrade if you have no idea of the inherent technological limitations in ultra-portable laptops, and it undercuts other similar ultralights by several hundred dollars in cost.

7. jeznav macrumors 6502

jeznav

I know its a shame but you really need to evaluate what your needs are.

1. Is cost an issue?

2. What programs do you spend most time on, and do they need a high system requirements?

3. If your working on something productive, how is your workflow? Do you manage a lot of files, large files? Do you sync them to the cloud, or transfer them to external storage?

4. If you have an existing hardware that can to these things, is there a reason to upgrade to newer technology?

5. How often are you in proximity of a power socket?

6. Is size and weight an issue?

Ask yourself these questions and weigh them left and right. (Maybe I should make a flow chart)

I know Apple is one trick pony enticing you by the visual psychology making you want it at first sight. Notice the front page ad holding MBA by the tips of the fingers to emphasize weight and thinness against a negative background. There is that zen-ness feeling, clean, simple and nothing else. That is their magic.

Again be realistic about your needs.

Sidenote:
    I have a Mac Pro, which is the most powerful than all the Mac lines. It's got 4TB of RAIDed space, 18GB of RAM, a GTX 285 card, and a Bluray burner. It runs best encoding HD videos and rendering 3D animations. Aftereffects, and final cut runs like butter. Ergo, it can do everything, except portability.(Your stuck at your desk.)

Should I consider the highest end MacBook Pro to solve the problem? Maybe, but lets look at this again.

I spend most of my computer time at home. 80% of that time, I am webrowsing, 20% I'm actually doing something productive, like video editing, programming, and use a bunch of high end programs.

Those 80% percent of my non-productive tasks are wasted cycles on my 8-core MacPro. An analogy would be like driving an F1 race car 80% of the time to go to the grocery store while its best 20% is competing in a race track.

As a result this is powerhouse is wasting energy just to do light tasks.

I have an iPad and it is what I use every day since then. My MacPro is now mostly off and only gets turned on when doing something productive like encoding Bluray rips or Photoshoping, etc.

Why the new MacBook Air appeals to me is that 'it is the better iPad'. My iPad can't run Xcode, which is a lightweight program. The MBA is basically the iPad with the OSX functionality.

I care less about the 64GB of SSD. I use the iPad as console to my Apps, and so I will use the MBA as terminal for temporary work which eventually gets pushed to my MacPro for actual productive work. I also use Dropbox to transfer documents, or use my 16GB usb drive to carry my Xcode projects.

Overall, I get the portability and still be able to use it as a very lightweight productivity and leisure. This is why I am getting it instead of a MacBook Pro.

8. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

You do realize that for an SSD 64G in that size is on average about $300* right? So it isn't like they are gouging you

The MBA 11" is too small to fit an SD Card Reader

*considering the bulk they buy, it might cost them $100

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Exactly. I have an overclocked quad-core PC at home that I can use for gaming, video processing, heavy-duty photography, etc. From a laptop, I just need something that allows me to web surf, word process, listen to music, VNC back to my desktop, etc. An iPad would, frankly, serve most of these purposes to a tee, but would be less than comfortable to type lengthy documents on, and would not be able to run Lightroom 3 (in a pinch).

For someone like me, for whom the weight and portability are more important than the raw firepower, the Air is a great choice.

10. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

That must be some good Kool-Aid.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20019942-1.html

This beast has up to 8 hours of battery life and is otherwise superior in spec. The only thing it doesn't have is a SSD (which you could add yourself for cheap) and it's not as thin as the Air (yet isn't that much heavier). It's $100 less than the Air - meaning if you did add a basic SSD, you'd be right at the Air's price point with SUBSTANTIALLY more horsepower. It's machines like this that piss me off about Apple and people who keep defending the overpricing. Would I buy this Aspire? No, because that screen size is too small for me, but it's an AMAZING deal.

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

64GB SSDs are only running about $120 right now. Perhaps not in card format.

12. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The Acer also weighs 30% more, is twice as thick, is made of plastic, and has a slower hard drive, a less power-efficient processor, and a far worse GPU (Intel integrated).

Let's compare apples to apples, here.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Time will tell if non-geeks opt for this machine when you can buy a more capable, expandable 13" MBP for less.

I for one think its addition through subtraction, apple took stuff away and proclaim this is the new world order even though its costs more and you're getting less.

14. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

In this particular case, it comes down to personal preference. If power or expandability were and issue, then sure, I'd go for the MBP. But if I'm lugging this thing around all day and am only concerned with good web browsing, word processing, media-playing experience, I feel like the trade-offs might be worth it.

Subtraction is only a negative if you care about what you're missing.

15. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

For me to install Linux on, perhaps. Windows 7, the still-minuscule trackpad and the Intel integrated GPU make this a no-deal for me. At that price, I'd rather have the Air. Like the commentators on Engadget's live blog of the media event said yesterday, "These computers [Air] are pure sex. Sorry, had to be said."

16. Salacion macrumors 6502a

I find the new Macbook Air incredibly sexy. Though of course, I have no need for a easily portable computer, as the MBP is already quite easy to lug around.

Plus, I need at least 500GB, a good processor and some decent graphics cards. The MBA is great for people who need it for very basic tasks however.

17. epictempo macrumors regular

Power hasn't been an issue for years now and I know many (not on here) feel the same way given the rise of netbooks.

My gripe is that they should have made the keys silver just like the bezel, without back-lit keys, silver keys will be more visible in the dark. Now it just looks mismatched.

The missing SD slot is a con but USB SD readers are cheap.

18. GeekGuys macrumors regular

Does your opinion count?

I am not sure why people bother to type comments on these forums sometimes. Is it just to vent, or to show a superior understanding of an issue they only perceive exists? I'm just not sure.... maybe they just like the sound of their own keyboard.

This particular thread, and others like it, have a great deal of comments from people who, like the OP, don't have a MBA, or even any Apple product; yet they complain about things that

a. don't have anything to do with their current products
    b. don't have anything to do with a product they would buy
    c. They have limited knowledge about
    d. They may just be totally misinformed about.

This is my rant so I expect the flames to follow but the MBA, and Apple generally, is a product that you either get or you don't. That is not to say it is superior or better or higher spec'd than anything else. Apple OS has always been a limited market and most M$ users just never bothered to worry or look at. Nothing wrong with that.

What is wrong is criticizing a product that you have no intention of ever buying as it doesn't suit your needs.

The MBA is not a high-volume consumer item. It is aimed at a particular market.

Apple OSX is what, 9% market share. Laptops are 70% of that. MBA is probably 1% of that. Those numbers are quite small compared to a Acer netbook for example.

Personally, I have had a MBA for over 3 years and use it daily. It suits my needs perfectly for travelling. I will be upgrading within the next 6 months and I am very happy with the changes. I'd love it to be cheaper but it certainly won't stop me buying one.

Why do people buy a Mini over a Ford Explorer? Justify it all you like, it is just a car but if it suits your needs, you buy what makes you happy.

19. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

wow, an amazing amount of whining about the new MB Air in this thread?

Why? It's great for those who want/need it's features, also it's MUCH more capable of doing heaving work that most are realizing here.

If it's not for you so what. Lightweight and portable probably isn't too high on your list.

Apple did a great job on both the 11 and 13'ers.

20. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I understand people being disappointed, but really the costs of some of these components are up there too.

I believe Apple did exactly whatever it had to to make a $999 entry MacBook Air possible. The costs of adding another 64 GB of NAND Flash is pricey. Look at the iPad or iPhone with such NAND amounts. There are additional costs of a hundred dollars to go up 16 GB of NAND in the iPad.

In addition, this is going to be really fast and there's the innovation and research and development costs attributed to it. Now, the MB, MBP, Mm, iMac, and even Mac Pro will definitely get the NAND Flash, but there is a lot of cost with what Apple has done. It's a great benefit.

In addition, everything else about the ultraportable 11.6" MBA is really competitive vs. alternative ultraportables. And there is a Mac OS X premium or "tax" with it. In addition, Apple is now getting used to gigantic margins on its consumer devices. I would guess that Apple did its research and found that the magical $999 price point was more important than releasing a 128 GB NAND Flash MBA at $1199. Would you have been happier if that's the starting price? That would be acceptable too given the track record of the MBA.

Let's face it though, Apple has seriously repositioned the MBA. In addition, Steve Jobs made it very clear this is where the entire Mac notebook line is headed. I expect to see lower prices with those updates and lower spec machines there too. The important thing is they have made great strides improving the user experience through innovation. It does come at a cost. While you can find alternative computers with same CPU and RAM amounts, you cannot find other computers with this kind of technology.

In addition, Apple really answered Sony's X series Vaio with the new 11.6" MBA. If one looks at those specs, they start at $1299 and are comparable to the higher end 11.6" MBA. However, Apple got in at a lower price point for everyone that wants a real Mac OS X computer that they can take anywhere... and it will be a great second computer/Mac for starting at $999.

I like the decision to come in with a $999 price point, and I feel the upgrades are still very competitive. Look at what has happened to the MBA over time.

Original
    $3099 64 GB SSD, 1.8 GHz C2D CPU, 2 GB RAM
    $1799 80 GB 4200rpm HDD, 1.6 GHz C2D CPU, 2 GB RAM

V 2,1 (October 2008)
    $2499 128 GB SSD, 1.86 GHz C2D CPU, 2 GB RAM
    $1799 120 GB 4200rpm HDD, 1.6 GHz C2D, 2 GB RAM

V 2,1 (June 2009)
    $1799 128 GB SSD, 2.13 GHz C2D CPU, 2 GB RAM
    $1499 120 GB 4200rpm HDD, 1.86 GHz C2D CPU, 2 GB RAM

V 3,1 (October 2010)
    $1799 256 GB NAND Flash, 2.13 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM
    $1599 128 GB NAND Flash, 1.86 GHz C2D, 2 GB RAM
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    $1399 11.6" 128 GB NAND Flash, 1.6 GHz, 4 GB RAM
    $1199 11.6" 128 GB NAND Flash, 1.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM
    $999 11.6" 64 GB NAND Flash, 1.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM

I think when looking at the big picture, the value has gotten better and better. Whether people want a lower cost super ultraportable traveler as a secondary Mac, they have a great $999 capable Mac. With 320m, it can even drive a 27" LED ACD.

If people want a higher end MBA, for the same money as the last model, get 2X faster NAND Flash and twice as much which is costly, the 4 GB RAM everyone needed who wants 2 OSes running, and the 320m GPU which will further set apart the MBA from other ultraportables that have Intel's IGP.

I like the deal, and when considering it over time, it seems like a bargain to me. I felt like Apple was going to take this the other way, but I am happy to have everything I need. I believe future updates will give back more BTO items we want and allow us to get even more for the same money.

I do understand wanting more than 64 GB storage, but that's high-end expensive NAND Flash that turns on instantly, and it's not a 4200rpm HDD that is slow as can be. It includes a nice CPU, an incredible GPU, and a RAM upgrade that should suit the vast majority for $100 more. Great buy if you ask me.

21. Moodikar macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I think it is important to note that this is still very ground breaking...perhaps not by specs but what they are trying to do with the MBA. It is trying miniaturize technology and make it the most powerful with lowest possible cost. Someone has to pay for the R&D. This outcome is likely based on many variations and combinations, all costing money and defining what works and what doesn't.

The MBA isn't the best spec but then shin the best spec isn't the smallest or thinnest.

I'm sure apple can offer better but it'll cost more to figure out the circuitry and build it and thus cost more...which may not have a recouping market.

22. altecXP macrumors 65816

You can buy a SATA3 64GB SSD for only $150 now. 128GB SSD's are starting to be in the 250-300 range now.

23. gman901 macrumors 6502a

I think the 11.6" is an awesome computer - but $1500 to get it spec'd out seems a little high if Apple is trying to make this the standard for Apple laptops. I think a lot of people will grab the $999 initially, but wish they got the 4 gb and 1.6 cpu. I am sure Apple will make the next 11.6" with 4 gb and 1.6 at the $999 price point when they roll out the next update. I am wondering if going with the 1.4 cpu over the 1.6 cpu makes that much of a difference?

24. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 the air upgrade was great. It's amazing what theY fit in there.

25. Reed Rothchild macrumors 6502

I think the new MBA looks awesome! I've been down on Apple a lot recently because I'm concerned about how much iOS is taking their eye off the OS X ball (and some of the announcements around merging iOS and OS X does make me a bit concerned for the future) but I'm seriously tempted by the 13" MBA. It has enough high end features to warrant the relatively high end price.