Am I the only one using the iPhone 3gs still?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by n0klu, Oct 26, 2017.

1. n0klu macrumors newbie

n0klu

I bought two iPhone 3gs phones long time ago used through Amazon.com They still work great. I found a company that will let me get only phone service instead of the "data" package the regular phone companies sell. I use wi-fi instead of the 3g networking. It works for me, although the apps are getting few and far in-between. There used to be a place on the web that had a listing of all the apps for iPhone's/iPod's but don't have the link anymore. Wish there was a place that had all the old iOS 4-6 apps available.

2. cw48494 macrumors regular

cw48494

I still use my 3gs, granted it's not my daily.

3. n0klu thread starter macrumors newbie

n0klu

Mine is the only one I can afford. I don't have the $150 plus to purchase a newer one, plus I like the fact I can use any carrier... I have one that doesn't require me to purchase the "data" package to use the phone/Wifi part.

4. cw48494 macrumors regular

cw48494

You can purchase a refurb Grade A iphone 4s from Newegg for $50, that's where I got mine in which I downgraded from iOS 9.3.5 to 6.1.3, it also accepts any carrier.

I also use a free cell service via Freedompop (AT&T/Sprint MVNO) which comes with 200mb data free and can get more by filling out surveys, it is also accompanied by 200min/500text.

5. n0klu thread starter macrumors newbie

n0klu

Cool, I'll look into that. How high of iOS will the iPhone 4s get?

6. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

No not at all, I still put my SIM card in one every once in a while just to get away from all the modern ammentnites, social networks, etc just to take a break. Or sometimes when going out of town. I also have multiple states maps downloaded in Maps.me for offline GPS use, works well for that too.

[​IMG]

I also have a father in law that up until last month was still using his full time, just replaced the battery this summer so it's still fresh and doing well.

In fact I just got a little worked up about iOS 11 and it's lack of software quality and large amount of bugs still present (mostly UI bugs or lockups seen on my wife's SE) and made a post using my 3GS as a reference because it's so darn stable. Even iOS 6 still runs well on it, though I've had it on 3.1.3 and 4.1, 4.2.1, 5.1, and 4.3.5 before moving to 6.1.6 for some app compatibility reasons and iMessage.

7. skeleton11223 macrumors member

The site to find old apps is findoldapps.com.
    Though, apps you can install older versions of won't be listed.

8. Avenged110 macrumors 6502

Avenged110

I've always wanted to get a 3GS. Someday. It's always been the most comfortable iPhone to hold imo.

9. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

still have my 3g in an Otter case - I think it could be dropped off a 3 story balcony and still function - solid and robust

I just flash it up once in a while to see if it works and listen to a few tunes in iPod mode

It is cool to have to check out the old OS and old apps - it was a creative time for iOS apps back then

Agree with Avenged110 fit is great for single hand use

10. Newton’s Apple Suspended

Newton’s Apple

3GS is pretty useless in 2018. Most of the Apps don’t work and dropped updates along ago.

11. cw48494 macrumors regular

cw48494

I've got a fair portion of valuable apps working on mine after some tweaks, but it's unbearably slow on iOS6.