Am I the only one who doesn't like folders?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MsMerryMac, Feb 4, 2011.

1. MsMerryMac macrumors regular

<Gasp>

I thought I would love using folders to keep my home screen clean and orderly but I am not liking them at all. Last night, I was browsing through my folders and actually found apps I forgot I had. Granted, these are apps that apparently weren't used much at the time, but still... I think I must be the only one in iPadland that doesn't enjoy using folders.:confused:

2. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

I use them, my wife doesn't. It's good to have the option.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Then don't use them. Who cares what you (or anyone else) do with your own iPad?

4. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

This issue is easily resolved....don't use them.

GL

5. 0815 macrumors 68000

I love them ... but there is no need for anyone to use them.

6. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

Can't say I don't like them, but I can say I don't use them.

7. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

You do have to put a lot of thought in custom names you give to your folders, and what apps go in which ones.

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I find them fairly handy, but the UI for using the apps desperately needs to be less clunky. I really really really dislike the screen split, I wish there was a way they could do some kind of bubble thing (maybe more like the menu pop-up). Then, if there was some kind of target thing where you could pop it up and drag with a single touch. And icon customization. And.....

9. James L macrumors 6502a

Are you always rude, or just anonymously on the internet?

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Just to add that I love them, but I really really feel you should be able to make at least 1 level of sub folders.

I would like to have just 1 folder called games.
    And in that, sub folders, called things like "Sports", "Arcade", "Driving", "Puzzle", "Card", "Board" etc.

Would be a lovely neat way of doing things.

Please Apple allow at least 1 level of sub folders.

11. Photics macrumors regular

I like the iOS folders. It keeps things organized. I don't have to keep flipping through home screens to find my apps.

12. marvlaw macrumors member

I actually very much agree with you. I tried them and simply forgot that some apps were there. I just have them organized on different pages like home screen is the most used/ news stuff, page 2 school stuff, page 3 games, etc.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, I don't care for them, so I don't use them. I don't even give it a second thought

14. MsMerryMac thread starter macrumors regular

Indeed...but to answer the response replied to:

A. I wasn't complaining as the feature is a good option, I was simply curious if there were others who weren't enchanted with this feature.

B. Yes, you are incredibly rude but I would guess that you are either a teen who never learned how to respect others or sadly, you are an adult who never learned to respect others.

15. zenio macrumors 6502

I agree, folders don't seem to be useful. My experience is similar, apps out of sight, out of mind. A fundamental limitation of an OS that was patched to compensate for limited file management and a cobbled together form of multitasking. While better than nothing it's still a patch.

The iPad is good, but restricted.

I do enjoy mine :)

16. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Ha, I am so OCD about this issue!

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I find them incredibly useful on my iPhone; they allow me to keep 105 apps on the front page, intuitively organized.

18. MsMerryMac thread starter macrumors regular

I can understand that because of the lack of screen space necessitating trimming things down.

19. fjfjfjfj macrumors regular

I don't much like them either. I like the organization factor but the extra step to open things annoys me.

20. foiden macrumors 6502a

Well, considering how many apps I have, I really needed the folders. If you don't have as many apps, then I can see not using them. I'd rather take the 1 single extra click than to have to manage and scroll through many screens to find what I'm looking for. Now, I have an insane amount of apps (all organized) within 2 screens instead of 7.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

22. Gryzor macrumors 6502

I like them, and hope they eventually allow folders within folders, and also make the folders themselves open up full-screen to allow icons in them. Icing on the cake would be allow folders to scroll so you could have practically limitless icons on one page (as you can with a JB device).

Don't like them? Don't use them.

As for people saying they forget what apps they have got, all I can say is, if you use it so little that you forget about it, you really don't need it. So, what does it matter? If you used your device properly, you would know exactly what you had and where it was.

On my old JB iPad I had over 175 apps, and I knew where every single one was.

23. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

I had the exact same experience. I "found" apps that I'd forgotten about. Apparently the only two folders I was using had the apps that I used the most. I rarely use the others. I could delete as suggested above, but I have them for a reason. I just don't use them as frequently. So... I don't like folders as much as I thought I would either.

24. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

While folders are useful, I'd prefer if I could just have categories (pre-defined, or user-defined) and swipe to switch between them. So vertical swipes to switch from (say) Games to Work apps etc., then horizontal swipes to scroll from page to page as you do now.

I'd prefer that option, as you never really leave the Home screen.

25. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Must say, I would like to be able to set, either a different background image for within a folder, or a different background wallpaper when you swipe across desktops of icons.

I could have a bright jolly background for games and a serious plain one for busines, or perhaps a photo of the earth for new apps. that kinda thing.

Some way to make it MINE a bit more.

I think Apple should allow people to personalise it a bit more, we are not all robots. People like to make things look they way they like them.

I know Apple think we all need to think the same and have all icons and buttons all the same.