Am I the only one who got the non-LTE Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by skillwill, Sep 15, 2017.

1. skillwill, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017

skillwill macrumors 6502

This will be my first Apple Watch (S3, GPS) and I'm damn excited. I chose the GPS-only because I'm never without my phone anyway, there's no compromise anywhere else, and the cheaper price. Also LTE coverage in the UK tends to absolutely suck.

Can anybody who already owns a Watch tell me roughly how often they tend to be in a situation where they want to use their Watch but can't because their phone isn't there? I literally can't think of one except for when I'm swimming or playing tennis, in which case I wouldnt answer anyway.

Thanks!

2. kschik macrumors member

I'm in the same boat. I couldn't justify the price difference and I really don't need the LTE on it as im either next to my phone or on wifi 99% of the time.

3. bradbomb macrumors 6502

bradbomb

Well if someone is getting the Stainless Steel or Ceramic, they do not have a Non-LTE option

4. kschik macrumors member

Ok well yea not sure what that has to do with me. Obviously if I had my heart set on a stainless steel or ceramic model my decision for non LTE would have been made irrelevant.

5. richard371 macrumors 68020

Keep in mind for 80 more you get 16gb vs 8 for music etc and should be able to dial 911 in an emergency.

6. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

While i see what your saying, the benefit of the watch "with" is you don't need to take the phone - so, you would be without it more if that makes sense. I have an LTE connection in the car and its great, thats EE too.

I'm not getting one as without it been able to work outside the country of purchase it would be of little value to me as i travel alot.

7. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I didn't want the LTE option but I learned that in addition to being LTE capable, it also comes with 8GB more of storage and has a ceramic back instead of the cheaper composite one so that was worth the $70 price bump for me since I figure it'll last me another couple years anyway. I have zero plans on activating the LTE but at least it's there should I change my mind down the road.

8. GoFlex macrumors regular

GoFlex

I only got LTE because for £50 extra I might as well. Anyway, I tend to sell my phone each year so if its just GPS I'd get £250 (for example) but if I buy Cellular I'd get £300 so it works out anyway.

9. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Phone? is that a sell your watch each year??

10. GoFlex macrumors regular

GoFlex

Sorry, meant watch. I also sell my phone every year though. This is my first Apple Watch but tbh I'll just update it annually like I do phone.

11. DaveyVigs macrumors regular

DaveyVigs

First I think you mean GPS not GSM.
    Some background - I had the original 2015 Apple Watch (aka Series 0) since launch. It was a fantastic device but I sold it a couple of months ago because it was getting very slow battery was not lasting as long each day and I had to be tethered to my iPhone or at least within 20-30 feet for it to work properly. Even cut out several times while listening to music and cutting the grass.

I haven’t missed it these last couple of months though but still decided to preorder the LTE version and will test it out compared to my old one. I’ll get the speed increase I missed from not upgrading to Series 1 or 2 but also be free from my iPhone while working and reduce the bulge of 7 Plus in my pocket or forgetting it on my desk. I hope to test it to the limits but have no problem returning it if it doesn’t meet my needs and wait for next years version.

I decided on the watch with cellular because I am not getting an iPhone this year. Basically my upgrades will be every other year for watch and phone.

Hope this helps. I can’t wait to get my watch next Friday and test it out!

12. jwlbel macrumors regular

I am upgrading from the series 0. I just started swimming, so I really want one that is waterproof. I ended up buying the series 3 w/LTE with the new loop band. I REALLY do not want to pay the extra $10 a month. I originally was planning to buy the Nike w/o-LTE with the new loop band, but the Nike ones with the new loop only come with LTE. Then I thought about buying the other non-LTE Nike one and buying a new loop band. Then my friend said if I am going to be buying the band separately, it is only $20 more to buy the LTE one with the band I really want vs a non-LTE with a band that I already have and buying the new nylon loop band. I figure that I will activate the LTE and try it for 3 months for free and then decide if it is worth it or not.

13. skillwill thread starter macrumors 6502

Of course yes, haha thanks for pointing out - edited!
    That's useful to know, I'll see how it goes!

14. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

You can still dial 911 in an emergency with the wifi version, but you either have to be in range of wifi or of your phone. I can't think of a time that i've been without either.

15. suncountry macrumors member

Are you sure? If I have a cell phone that no longer has service.. I can still use it to call 911 (no wifi involved). Why do you think the watch be different?

16. GoFlex macrumors regular

GoFlex

Because it doesn't have a sim card. It literally can't use LTE. I think if you're displaying No Service and need to call 911 on phone it might put you across to the nearest network to you??

17. richard371 macrumors 68020

911 mandate requires all devices that work on cellular to be able to make the call to 911 whether you have service, sim or not. If your out for a run and don't have your phone this is the most likely time you could need it. The wifi version would be useless in this scenario. Maybe your on the beach and got sucked out a bit and can't get back to shore. Obviously these are unique scenarios but I guarantee there will be times when this saves someone's life. The extra 8gb is nice for storing more music.

18. woozor1 macrumors regular

So the ceramic back vs composite what difference does it make for someone that would keep the Watch one year?

Also 8gb vs 16gb what difference will this make as well. I would of thought it would be hard to fill the storage on a Watch or is it only for music storage?

19. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

If you cannot justify your money being spent dont spend it. I usually have no trouble justifying rewarding myself.

20. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

I don't really get your point... I was saying if you don't have an LTE chip in your watch, then you can still call 911 if it's in range of your phone (using your phone's LTE) or (and this is the part I didn't communicate well) if you have wifi calling with your plan like I do with T mobile, you don't need to have LTE to call anyone through wifi. There's a special exception to the 911 rule though and that's this for T mobile at least. Not sure with other providers:

To use Wi-Fi Calling, you need to set up an e911 address. If you haven’t added an e911 address to your My T-Mobile account, you'll see this error message when trying to use Wi-Fi Calling. Also, your location may not be automatically provided to the dispatcher when you dial 911 using Wi-Fi Calling.

I use wifi calling with airplane mode on (cellular off, wifi on) when I'm in Africa and it's just the same if I was using it in the US. I receive and make calls with no international fees. See this thread for wifi calling on T mobile with apple watch:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/wifi-calling-on-apple-watch-works.1919701/

21. suncountry macrumors member

So sorry! Misread your post. You had quoted someone who I thought was recommending that the OP get the LTE, but not turn on the service. Got my wires crossed between the two thoughts.

22. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

Also keep in mind (esp in States) if you get the LTE watch you’ll also have a $10 per month device add on fee added to your bill.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

While that's true, some carriers are offering 90 days of free service. It Could be worth at least trying to see if someone would appreciate it or not.

24. DaveyVigs macrumors regular

DaveyVigs

I hear ya there, that makes sense. Get the better device (more storage and LTE) and the band you want for only a little bit more than paying separately - smart move. It’s a real no brained with 3 months free service. After the 3 months is up if it’s not worth $10 shut off the LTE NumberSync thing and use it as a regular watch 3 with GPS and more storage for music etc.

Some would say it defeats the purpose of paying for premium LTE version but I say it’s $50 for double the storage which Apple has always has done, usually their storage doubling is $100 more.

Sure it sounds like I’m trying to justify my purchase also LOL! Hopefully carriers change their minds and lower the plan price to that of other wearables $5/mo. It only takes one carrier to lower it and others should follow to retain customers.

25. richard371 macrumors 68020

Add the ceramic back too. That, the extra 8gb, ability to make emergency calls while away from the phone, assisted gps when away from the phone. Easily a no brainer even if you don’t use the lte. You can always use it later if you decide.