Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sam5281

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2014
Alright - so since whatever iOS it was ... (post 2011ish) when the newer version of iTunes and up were made it has been complete trash.

Not that it was phenomenal before - but now... it's absolutely retarded.

A friend of mine always hated on iTunes as a PC user - and Tech savvy person however pre these versions I was able to work all around it. NOW - I just dislike it's weird pop out default viewing cover options / iCloud downloadable tracks sitting there that aren't really in your library (still don't really get that).

Also ... is anyone else finding iTunes actually DOWNGRADING the quality of tracks to 256' appose to 320?

Just a whole bunch of weird stuff going on - I don't like it. Maybe I need to take the time and re-work it as I never truly have but I just think in it's entirety it's a convenient program sure. I don't see any alternatives, yes. But needs work? Absolutely.

Just speaking from experience - maybe those can chime in

Reactions: beginnersview

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
I had thrown away iTunes (from the time that you don't have to rely on it to update your iDevices) to Roon Labs software. Much better music integration with my playback devices

Sam5281

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2014
I had thrown away iTunes (from the time that you don't have to rely on it to update your iDevices) to Roon Labs software. Much better music integration with my playback devices

It's horrid / and has just gotten worse.

I find it automatically converting files that are 320mp3s into other formats. The whole iCloud download thing in strangely bizarre. I don't care what's on iCloud just want to know what's on my device / and what needs transporting.

Never looked at any other music organizing programs prior to iTunes/ never saw the need to but now I will have to. Apple Music is cool / but iTunes itself for musical / organizational / professional software is a joke.

Please post if you agree or experienced similar

Reactions: beginnersview

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
iTunes began as a strong product, but that was years and years ago.

I never used it much, other than for the internet radio streaming tuner.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Sam5281

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2014
Each new update makes it more awkward and confusing. But I put up with it because it does what I need (most of the time). You should enjoy this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/can-itunes-suck-anymore-than-it-already-does.1841179/

Going to give a read- but I hadn't already realized actually how "out of control" you actual become of your music unless carefully sorting through preferences IE ; "consolidating iTunes library" - iTunes changing file types / I don't even think there is a single mp3. on my computer anymore (horrible).

iTunes remains the weakest link in the Apple ecosystem.

Agreed - started using Apple Music randomly as a friend recommended it - and yes as a streaming service I think its a decent product - in terms of professional audio music / layout and organization it's horrendous.

iTunes began as a strong product, but that was years and years ago.

I never used it much, other than for the internet radio streaming tuner.

Yep - exactly the direction I am trying to go.

In that case - where do you organize music of importance and professional use ?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Sam asked:
"In that case - where do you organize music of importance and professional use?"

I keep my music organized in folder/file hierarchies that I create on dedicated volumes created for such purpose.
I do not let ANY music application "manage" such things.

My "mp3 drive" is 131gb in size, with 22,782 files (just checked it as I composed this reply). All sorted by artist, album, etc. All done manually by me.

I also have a folder with audio projects (created in Cubase). Again, created by me, organized by me.

For actually playing music, I don't use iTunes either. I usually use a small 3rd-party app. I currently use an updated version of "Cog", works well enough for me.

Again, if I want to listen to streaming internet radio, I -might use- iTunes.
Or I might use a web page player.

I rarely open iTunes at all.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
it would be faster to list the features we like about iTunes. Every so often I'm dealing with greyed-out songs or album art randomly disappearing. Each release has me wondering what they were thinking.

I've really got nothing constructive to add, just came here to kick the body.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I love it. Once I realized that its basically a database, then I was good. I'm running iTunes 1.0, 10.0 and 12.0 and they are basically the same system. Now I will admit that iTunes 11.0 and up and iOS have a little hiccup. It seems that if you have all your music on an external drive and some songs on your Mac, the music will not mount properly to an iPhone.

I'll take iTunes over any WIN player.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Haven't touched it in years. All I require is a decent support of different formats and easy adding and deleting from the library. I use Nightingale on OS X and MusicBee on Windows

Suspended
May 28, 2017
Always hated iTunes ... totally retarded.

I don't do any streaming. I'm an old skool drag drop n play kinda guy. I loved Winamp on Windows, and when I came to Mac, (and still to this day), I couldn't find a decent Winamp alternative for Mac, so I wrote my own audio player app :)

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

hippyeverafter

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2017
Bletchley, England
Stopped using iTunes ages ago and now use Audirvana Plus. The biggest joke was I purchased a hi res 192/24 ALAC file but iTunes refused to tranfere to my iPhone. For Crying out load Apple it's your own file format why not?. Just drag and drop now and use Neplayer on the phone for hi res files which is a lot better than iTunes anyway.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

ned8flanders

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
Stopped using iTunes ages ago and now use Audirvana Plus. The biggest joke was I purchased a hi res 192/24 ALAC file but iTunes refused to tranfere to my iPhone. For Crying out load Apple it's your own file format why not?. Just drag and drop now and use Neplayer on the phone for hi res files which is a lot better than iTunes anyway.

complementing the idea:
MediaCenter22
for Mac is fantastic, read ALL music formats, read ISO images of SACD, FLAC, DSF, APE, etc. Networking and Stream all protocols. Audio Pro connections. As i prefer high quality formats no transfer anything to MP3 or iDevices, but Media Center also has that possibility.
I use it for several years without any complaint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.