Am i the only one who hates the glowing Apple logo?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kingofwale, Mar 22, 2015.

1. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

I work a lot at night, and the glowing Apple logo has always been a very annoying part. (Because it lights up the room and disturb everyone else who might be sleeping at the time).

I even went as far as getting a leather case to cover the light up.

Glad to see the new rMB without it,

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Uh, the screen puts off a lot more light than the Apple logo!

3. Alloy201 Suspended

It doesn't bother me, I could live with or without it. I never found the Apple to glow that brightly to bother people.

4. kingofwale thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

yes, but the light is directed toward me, not away.

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Personally ambivalent, it`s ok, equally it can come off as being a little tacky in some circumstance.

Q-6

6. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Me too. Using the macbook air on a plane when the sun is rising behind the screen casts a creepy light blob inside the screen and is annoying. The feature was cool back in the days where the casing was thick enough to prevent that, but totally useless now.

7. Serban Suspended

i don't care...in the night the apple logo's illumination is based on your brightness, so not so bright, only if you set manual the brightness

but yes i don't mind if there is a glowing apple logo or not, sincerely i would preferred the the "Macbook" on the bottom of the screen glow a little in front of me

8. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

That would actually be cool, especially if able to be enabled\disabled. Sounds like Apple was purely going for size, battery, and screen on this one though, so anything that detracted from those was removed.

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Just put a sticker on it, lots of people do, problem solved.

Myself that's preventing me from getting the rMB, between other things they have "taken out." I feel like paying more and getting less.

10. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

The apple logo takes on the same brightness as the screen; so if your Apple logo is emitting light, your screen is emitting a lot more. Put the brightness down to 1 bar and it won't be an issue.

I don't like nor hate it, its just there.

11. Slicksleek macrumors newbie

Nope! Definitely bothers me too. Same with the screen and the general brightness level. Don't even get me started when you have the brightness set perfectly and have to plug in the power adapter ...

12. newellj macrumors 601

That can be solved in System Prefs.

13. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

My glowing Apple is covered up with a case so... then there is that.

14. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Agree with you, OP, I thought it was a stupid design choice by Apple (but I think the same way about tapered design, big bezels, and the omission of ports).

15. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

That's ok. You can turn off the screen ;)

16. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

I don't "hate" the glowing Apple logo, but it's a 15-year old design idea and it's time for something different.

Looking forward to a polished stainless steel logo - it will be a welcome change.

17. afhstingray macrumors newbie

it is a little annoying, especially since i usually leave the laptop running in my room. i turn it so the screen faces the other way, but the light from the glowing logo still lights up the room. even more annoying is when you're giving a lecture/presentation and half the room is full of glowing apple logos. overall, dosent bother me enough to say i "hate" it.

18. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I loved it and I'm sad to see it go. I believe it has been removed to help enable the thinness of the rMB.

19. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Glowing Apple is obnoxious advertising/self-promoting.

Also, it shines through the screen when the sun is behind it.

They could have made it more subtle. Perhaps an outline instead. Or it only shines when you turn in on or if there's a notification.

Can't wait to get the new MacBook in gold. Gold may be obnoxious, but I love the aesthetics of the warm, honey-hue against the black screen and keyboard.

20. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

It's ok. Kinda cool. But I feel like it's getting phased out, and soon we'll all look back on it and say, "Remember the super dorky glowing Apple Logo?" :p

21. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

I like it, actually a lot. Plus its iconic (for me at least).

22. Idefix macrumors 6502

put a carbon fiber skin on it.

choose a design that totally covers the Apple logo.

23. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

So do I. So do I. I hope I can get my hands on one on launch day. I may have to line up if I see a line gathering outside.

24. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Yes annoys me too. I put a sticker over it.
    I cannot stand doing obnoxious advertising for a company when I already paid them lots of money. They should pay me.
    Find a sticker that isn't shine through and looks pretty and put it on top.