Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s54

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
It could just be that I'm ugly, but I honestly think I look a lot better in the mirror. Every time I FaceTime, I look at myself and can't believe how odd and bad I look on the screen. Sometimes I literally look like someone who got his face smashed in or rearranged. I not only look 10 years older, but the entire face just seems awkward.

Clearly, I can't be the only person experiencing this issue. I really hope someone else noticed this.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
When it comes to facetime, lighting and angle is everything.

I always facetime in a well lit room and hold the phone or tablet slightly up. NEVER hold the device lowered down. That is the worse angle possible.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
It could just be that I'm ugly, but I honestly think I look a lot better in the mirror. Every time I FaceTime, I look at myself and can't believe how odd and bad I look on the screen. Sometimes I literally look like someone who got his face smashed in or rearranged. I not only look 10 years older, but the entire face just seems awkward.

Clearly, I can't be the only person experiencing this issue. I really hope someone else noticed this.

You can get around this issue by upgrading your face.

Jason Honer

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
Boston MA

Your mirror may be slightly concave, giving you a thinner or more pleasant appearance.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Rita: I'd like to make her look a little more attractive, how far can you pull back?
Cameraman: How do you feel about Cleveland?

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
Ain't real without pics. Post one...just give a heads up spoiler alert with a good amount of white space so none of us are shocked by your unholy visage! :)

Reactions: arkitect

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

It's the camera, makes you look all bloated with larger features. There has been a lot of press about an upcoming disorder based on how you look in selfie pictures, with an uptick in things like plastic surgery. Heck I even read an article a few weeks ago how some are opting for plastic surgery just so their selfie pics and social streaming videos can look better.

Kind of silly, but at the same time do you want to be remembered as some bloated ugly dude when you look at your pictures in 20 years?

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Are you normally drunk when looking in a mirror? Lots of people think they look good when drunk, but it’s just a case of looking at yourself through beer goggles. :rolleyes:

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
It’s been my observation that average people I know actually look better in photos. Inversely, attractive people I know aren’t photogenic. They look better in person.

I’ve worked with creative agencies before and encountered local models in hallways and lobbies. In every case, their appearances were disappointing. Too skinny usually and cartoonish heads!

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
So it’s odd some see their face being enlarged when most phone lenses do a fish-barrel Effect which usually enlarge the nose, chin, and bring the eyes closer than they actually are. Looking in the mirror, you are seeing the best image of you as long as the mirror is flush and not warped or anything.

Kallum.

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Nope, I look like a cross between a scrotum and a potato. Im too scared to check the mirror to see if this is how i really look.

Reactions: Cigsm

scgf

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Market Harborough, UK
I once read that a professional photographer used to show his clients their portraits reversed, like they would see themselves in the mirror and they were much happier!

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I once read that a professional photographer used to show his clients their portraits reversed, like they would see themselves in the mirror and they were much happier!
But then everyone else looking at those photos thinks the client looks like crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.