Am I the only one who think that....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dangermou5e, Nov 8, 2009.

1. dangermou5e macrumors member

Am I the only one who thinks that if iWork was made by Microsoft they would get slaughtered with abuse about how crap it is?

I'm a new'ish mac user, got an iMac last July... And obviously I had to get a word processor with it because it's one of my main uses in my computer. I heard Office for Mac was terrible so I thought buying the Apple alternative may actually be better.

It was only when I installed it that I realised how impossible it is to use. It has possibly the most un-intuitive interface ever, and to bring up the boxes to do things like, change a font or make a table, it took me about 15 minutes to realise how, not including the time to Google it.

I'll save you from my ramblings and stop now :p

Can someone PLEASE recommend a word processor (don't care about presentations or spreadsheets, never use them), that doesn't make me want to regret that I bought a mac?

Peace :cool:

2. celticpride678

I used Microsoft Office 2008 on my Mac for a few months and got tired of it. Since then, I have been using NeoOffice 3.0.1. It works wonderful; easy to use too.

If you just want a word processor, I recommend Bean for Mac.

3. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Um, as with any new software vs being used to the previous way things were done, there is a learning curve.....

I'm a few months in on iwork now, still haven't learned everything yet, but still love it way more than office (especially 2007). I LOVE the fulllscreen option in pages that makes me focus solely on my work. :)

5. dangermou5e thread starter macrumors member

Just trying this now, it's great so far!

I'll check out NeoOffice too :)

Thanks guys!

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i like pages and numbers. however they should get rid of these stupid inspector windows just to make a font smaller and such. these functions should be like in MS Word/Powerpoint.

Keynote is fantastic aside of that.

7. DKatri macrumors 6502

I have iWork, Office and OpenOffice all installed on my MBP and i think if you are looking for something that feels familiar then OpenOffice is your best bet and its free!

8. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

To change formatting, Pages uses the same setup as about 95 percent of other software. Hit Command-T and the font dialog appears. If you want, you can use the Inspector, but you don't have to. There's an onscreen pop-up menu to change fonts.

To make a table, you hit the Table button and you can alter it with the inspector.

This really took you 15 minutes?

Look, if you don't like Pages, you're welcome to your opinion. I think Bean's great. I think Neo/Open is slow and far too ponderous. But hey, to each his own.

mt