Am I the only one who wants a bigger iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Weiser878, Mar 16, 2011.

?

Would you like a physically bigger iPhone?

1. Yes, EVO/Inspire Size at most

35.9%
  2. No, I think the current size is perfect

50.9%
  3. Goodness no, its too big already

3.0%
  4. Just buy an Android and shut up

10.2%
  1. Weiser878, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

Weiser878 macrumors regular

I want a bigger screen, that's a given, but I also want a larger phone overall.
    The HTC EVO and Inspire and the Nexus S just feel so much better in my hand, and I have no problem putting any of them into my pocket like I keep hearing people complain about.
    The slab form factor of the iPhone 4 makes it less comfortable in my hand and seems like its more easy to drop than the previous generations.

I know I'm in the minority, but wanted to put this out there to see if maybe there's someone else on board with me.

With a larger form factor, it could hold a lot more battery too!

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Yes, you are. ;)

But seriously, I've seen people with those huge phones and I'm just not into it. Those things are more than a handful.

Some things should just be left alone...we don't need to go back to the good old tacky days.

Attached Files:

4. Weiser878 thread starter macrumors regular

herruberraschen, Too big already?

What's another comperable smart phone that's smaller?
    Ever tried to use an Atrix? Almost impossible to use the keyboard

5. Weiser878 thread starter macrumors regular

I should clarify, I'm not really into wanting it longer so much, like the Droid X, but wider yes.

And I don't see the advantage to being so thin. It already has an amazing battery. Just think how much more could be packed in.
    Not to mention 2 flash memory slots like the iPod Touch

6. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

The current size is perfect, even the galaxy s is too big.

7. SuperMacAttack macrumors newbie

I think the size is fine, I just wish that when loading a page the bar wouldn't take half the page.

8. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't mind it going to a 4" screen. Not a make or break thing though.. and nothing bigger. Tried an Evo for a few days, didn't like it.

9. nfl46 macrumors 603

I was just thinking how small the screen is now. I've had every iPhone since 2007 and the screen size is seriously annoying! I'm straining my eyes now. At least give us 4". The 3.5" is boring now, high res or not.

10. shifty27 macrumors newbie

shifty27

I'd like it to be 4" the same as the samsung galaxy s... that screen is niceeee!

Put my iphone 4 next to it on full brightness with the samsung galaxy s at half birghtness and in terms of how good it looks to the human eye the galaxy s blasted my iphone away with size and quality!

Please apple put a 4" super amoled on the iphone 5 lol

11. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I love the current screen size, I have been using the 3.5inch screen since 2007 and have become accustomed to it and find anything else (yes I have tried the 4inch androids) impossible to use.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm happy with the size of the iPhone. I had a droidx and while the large screen was really nice. I had difficulty using it with one hand on the subway.

13. Sedrick, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

A lot of people are afraid the iPhone is going to turn in to a huge tank like the Droid X just to get a bigger screen. Apple's smarter than that. They would kill off half their market. It's not going to happen.

If Apple even went 4", it would be something elegant like the Samsung Captivate. It's hardly larger at all, almost as thin and has rounded edges so it even seems smaller.

[​IMG]

Now, honestly, which one of these phones looks dated?

14. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

If Apple made the iPhone any bigger than it already it, I would strongly consider looking at other phones. I think the size of the iPhone is perfect. Maybe it could use a bigger screen, but I don't think Apple should have to make the phone bigger to do so.

15. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Personally I'd love to have a bigger screen on my phone. 4.5" would be great however I'm guessing I'd be in the extreme minority on this request. If the bigger screen made the phone bigger then I wouldn't mind it at all either.

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Agreed, I saw someone with an Android....monstrosity on the metro yesterday, it looked about as practical as holding my PSP vertically and using it as a phone. If you want one, go for it, but a larger screen does not automatically translate into a better device.

17. 3soteric macrumors member

3soteric

Looking at the design of the phones rather than the image on the screen, the Samsung. Its reminiscent of the old Nokia n95 in black with the slightly rounded corners, crossed with the earlier touchscreen Samsung's as well i.e. the Tocco etc. It also seems to be very 'plasticky'. :/

The design of the iphone looks fresh and neat, its just that iOS is starting to look a little dated at the moment.

That being said, I would love a larger screen - but I can't see Apple cocking up on the design front either. If they do use a larger screen they would re-design the handset to take advantage of it and create that lovely minimalist look as well.

18. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

A 4-inch screen would be nice. But after using it, you'll be asking for a 4.3 inch screen. Soon, you'll be asking for 5-inch screens. You see the trend? I don't see Apple backing down on their chosen size. You want a bigger screen? Go get an iPad.

19. kicko macrumors 65816

you should ask my daughter... she says "daddy i like your iphone but i want the big phone"

she's referring to the ipad

20. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

It's interesting, a friend and I were discussing this the other night - prior to the iPhone (and all subsequent smartphones), the trend was seemingly for mobiles to get smaller and smaller and smaller to the point where the buttons were hard to use. All of a sudden we have smartphones and now everyone wants a massive screen. Odd how the invention of the iPhone turned everything upside down

21. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Well logically smart phones have to be bigger for storage, memory, and processing; let alone use of applications, email, and web browsing. The iPhone also isn't an "invention" in the traditional use of the word.

22. big samm macrumors 65816

Come on buddy the captivate doesn't look close to a N95... You are comparing a slider vs a solide state phone... I have all three of them iphone 4, captivate, and the N95!
    And the captivate size is perfect!! 4inch is the sweet spot!! Not too big not too small... Im sure apple could fit a 4inch screen in the current iphone size... They just have to move the earpiece and the facetime cam more upward so they can make space for the screen...

23. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Have you eve looked at the ergonomics of larger phone? How do you use it with one hand?

Exactly. Apple picked a perfect size for 1-handed use.

Wanna-bees can't make it smaller and still useable so they had to produce a larger screen due to lack of touchscreen accuracy on copycat phones.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While I would like a bigger screen, I think the current size is good.

25. tigress666 macrumors 68040

The one on the left. And it looks a lot thicker/clunkier too honestly. Were you trying to say the one on the left was the non dated and didn't look bigger? Cause maybe you should have found another phone then.