Am I the only one who wish the iP5 is just a bigger faster iP4?

darcyjames

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
My glass on my 4s scratched like crazy. Not sure what you mean by unscratchable. Wiping and then laying gently on my desk yeilded scratches the first day
Who knows how this will hold up but the drop tests pretty much prove it is sturdier than the last gen.
Yes

I will prefer scuffed aluminum over scratched glass and I also prefer both to plastic.

I have man'd-up and removed my blk iP5 from my slim plastic case and am loving it. Some nics on the chamfered edge but no scuffs yet. It might be a case where once it gets evenly scuffed it will be just right (example - my scuffed as **** titanium wedding band is awesome).

((=

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
So don't put your phone with your keys or get a case. Is it that hard? Btw, anodized aluminum is NOT weak. It doesn't scratch unless you start keying it. With normal use, it won't scratch. Period.
Even came "factory-scratched" and you say won't scratch...

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I felt that way at first, but I'm really liking the aluminum finish now. It feels a bit like my MacBook Air. I think of the iPhone 5 as the "iPhone Air" now. The heft of the 4S gave it a premium feel, but I think the beveled edge of the white iPhone 5 has a nice premium look to it.
I got used to my MBA as well, and that has gone flying and hit a hard surface once or twice :eek: after I got used to it and started focusing on other matters and the computer slipped during casual and distracted manipulation while extracting it from a bag. I can only imagine the phone accidentally going across a room or been sat on.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Wasn't the iPhone 4 just a faster 3GS? Why did anyone buy the 4 when they could have got a cheaper 3GS? /endsarcasm

Trust me, the speed difference from th 4 to the 5 is amazing. Seriously loving it. Apps which became bloated and slow over the past 2 years are so amazingly fast.

kousuke18

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Wasn't the iPhone 4 just a faster 3GS? Why did anyone buy the 4 when they could have got a cheaper 3GS? /endsarcasm

Trust me, the speed difference from th 4 to the 5 is amazing. Seriously loving it. Apps which became bloated and slow over the past 2 years are so amazingly fast.
+1. I had always tried justifying not upgrading my iphone 4 because it is still a very nice phone but performance wise, it is starting to show it's age. The first time I tried out the iphone 5, I couldn't believe how much faster everything was from launching apps, web browsing, games, etc...

One thing I do kinda miss is the extra heft that the iphone 4/4s had which made it feel like a more expensive phone. Not to say that the iphone 5 is cheap feeling; far from it.

darngooddesign

macrumors G3
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I believe the OP meant fatter, not faster.

I like the industrial design, but I do wish they had kept the same thickness to give us a noticibly higher capacity battery.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Lasers can scratch the iPhone. A lot of the machinery in a factory can scratch the iPhone. But under normal use, do you come into contact with lasers and factory machinery? No.
Um yes... Jk lol. But seriously, i'm glad scuffgate is starting to die down. It was getting fairly overblown

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
You are the only one.

The internal of this is great. Thinner is also great. Bigger screen is harder to use, but extra real estate is welcomed.

But am I the only one that likes the iP4 design much better? 2 virtually in-scratchable pieces of glass and stajnless steal band instead of this anodized aluminum weak crap.... This is the only iPhone so far that I have to use a case with....

Anybody feel the exterior of the iP5 is a step backwards?

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
To me, the iPhone 4 is the perfect phone design. I don't quite understand why so many people care about the thinness of the phone. The iPhone 4 feels great in your hand, it's pretty much ideal.

appleattack

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
To me, the iPhone 4 is the perfect phone design. I don't quite understand why so many people care about the thinness of the phone. The iPhone 4 feels great in your hand, it's pretty much ideal.
This.

----------

The internal of this is great. Thinner is also great. Bigger screen is harder to use, but extra real estate is welcomed.

But am I the only one that likes the iP4 design much better? 2 virtually in-scratchable pieces of glass and stajnless steal band instead of this anodized aluminum weak crap.... This is the only iPhone so far that I have to use a case with....

Anybody feel the exterior of the iP5 is a step backwards?
You're not alone. I keep looking and picking up my White iPhone 4S. I dislike the powdered flat black aluminum. The 5 is an arbitrarily stretched 4S stripped of its glass layering. It looks and feels like a prototype.

Memba when the leaks were happening? Even fanboys were saying how they'd be disappointed if Apple released the 5 as it was in the leaked pictures. Even Rush Limbaugh had fanboys calling in disappointed.

Guess what? Apple releases it as depicted in the leaks and even with that empty shell of Steve Jobs Tim Cook selling it on stage, the fanboys eat it up.

http://www.cultofmac.com/189592/rush-limbaugh-people-are-depressed-about-the-iphone-5/

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
And just like coke bottles is able to take a significant amount of scrapes without showing the ware.
You obviously didn't see the drop test by android authority; the s3 didn't fare well.

As for the op, the 5 is a lot more durable. Scratches aren't pretty, but they don't affect the performance of the phone. OTOH, if I dropped my 4 without its otterbox defender case, I'd be lucky if it was still functioning.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
I like that the 4 has glas. However, the iP5 is slick. Maybe I wouldve liked it better if it was glas but hey, you gotta be happy what youve got.

Besides, its not weaker than the 4 as someone already mentioned.
The glas is more vulnerable than alum.

eyang

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2011
Be interesting if apple made two versions of the 5. One as is and one that looked identical to the 4s but bigger, screen wise.

I think the stretched 4s design would outsell the new design 3-1

Love my 4s def passing on the 5.

andrewsd

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
USA/BAYERN(bavaria)
Agree

I felt that way at first, but I'm really liking the aluminum finish now. It feels a bit like my MacBook Air. I think of the iPhone 5 as the "iPhone Air" now. The heft of the 4S gave it a premium feel, but I think the beveled edge of the white iPhone 5 has a nice premium look to it.
Wanted a black one so bad but ended up with white and now it's really grown on me. And couldn't imagine having black now. Plus I have always been a fan of how raw material/metal looks. The stainless steel was nice on th 4/4s but I am guessing they shied away from it because of weight and manufacturing process. (I dunno just my guess)

The blac looks great as well but the white takes the top spot for me. Also this phone feels solid and I enjoy the lightness to it.

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
don't agree with you. think ip5 is a big step forward. or a big evolutionary step forward. a really sleek, slim, elegant and light speed machine. thanks apple!

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I loved the 4 but after a few days of owning the 5 I could never go back.
Same here, I was very happy with the iPhone 4/4S... but now that I have an iPhone 5 (personal phone)... I get really annoyed with the smaller screen and thickness of my iPhone 4S (work phone). This was a big surprise for me, especially the thin part.

But I am with everyone, I wouldn't have minded them going with a bigger battery instead, can never have enough battery life.

The megapixel myth is in full play here.
Exactly! When I used to work at Circuit City, later Best Buy... I HATED having to help in the camera department. All people ever seemed to care about was Megapixels... Which don't really mean anything for picture quality.

My dad's slightly old 5 MP Digital SLR takes WAY better pictures than my Nikon 12 MP point and shoot camera (which is much newer than his camera).