Am I...?

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
1,309
0
The only person in this country who doesn't care about Harry Potter? Honestly, the hooplah is driving me nuts!
 

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
1,212
0
Chicago
I sure as hell couldnt care less about Harry Potter. I have never seen any of these movies in the series, nor have I read any of the books. Always looked really lame and boring to me. Too bad my girlfriend is into it :(
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
G5orbust said:
The only person in this country who doesn't care about Harry Potter? Honestly, the hooplah is driving me nuts!
If you gave it a chance... you might discover for yourself why kids and adults love it so much...
 

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
593
0
Chicago, IL
Yes. You're the only one. Go sit in a corner and feel left out now ;)

My roommates don't particularly care for Harry Potter either, or reading in general. They make fun of me and my loserish obsession and English-major style analysis of the books.
 

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
3,939
175
Madison
I began reading one of the harry potter books. I was on my way to a coffee shop, and I accidently dropped the book on my toe. Well the book weighs about 42 lbs, so it broke 4 toes, and fractured my foot. I was in a cast for 2 months. After that I really lost interest.
 

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
8,201
0
sitting on your shoulder
crazzyeddie said:
I don't care for it either. I don't hate it, but at the same time I don't quite understand the obsession for it.
As you post this on a forum catering to Mac fans. :p


Actually, I've never been into it either. I got the first book as a birthday present a while ago, and tried reading it, but it seemed (not to insult anyone, including the author) a bit too juvenile for my tastes*. I can completely understand why kids love it, and it gets them reading (and watching movies...) so it can't be too bad.




*: Am I the only person who was reading Michael Chrighton in 5th grade? :confused:
 

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
1,527
0
Koodauw said:
I began reading one of the harry potter books. I was on my way to a coffee shop, and I accidently dropped the book on my toe. Well the book weighs about 42 lbs, so it broke 4 toes, and fractured my foot. I was in a cast for 2 months. After that I really lost interest.
aww this is sad....which book?
 

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
1,309
0
Lacero said:
If you gave it a chance... you might discover for yourself why kids and adults love it so much...
I did give it a chance when I went to see the first movie in theaters. Then I realized that everyone in the theater was my age or younger. I fit in at the time (Im 17 now... yeah I was a youngin') but I knew that as I got older the fan base would stay the same and I dont want to feel like a pedophile.
 

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
1,144
0
New York
no, your not alone, i hate it

and more, i hate how i can't so much as mention that to someone with out them arguing to death about how great it is and how i should just give it a chance. i have absolutely NO interest in the subject matter of harry potter(everyone always say they didn't either as another way to try and force it on me)

i don't want to read it, i don't want to see the movie, i don't want anyone explaining it to me, and i don't want people trying to talk me into it. all i want to do is avoid it, must that be so hard? you don't see me trying to force everything i like on everyone else...

if i never hear "just give it a chance" again, i can die a happy man :p
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
G5orbust said:
I did give it a chance when I went to see the first movie in theaters.
That sucks. You should've read the book first. The movie sucks compared to the imagination of Rowling's words in the book. Most people seem to love her style of writing. The first movie was a tad dull, since they had only a little bit of time to develop the characters in the movie.
 

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
1,144
0
New York
Lacero said:
That sucks. You should've read the book first. The movie sucks compared to the imagination of Rowling's words in the book. Most people seem to love her style of writing. The first movie was a tad dull, since they had only a little bit of time to develop the characters in the movie.
out of curiosity, why does it matter to you whether or not he likes it?
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
Nope. Doesn't matter to me whether he likes it or not, but since he did start the thread, are we not to be discussing it? Great, you hate the films too, why do you feel the need to tell the world you don't like it? Seems like sour grapes to me that other people enjoy the films, people like you probably enjoy wearing bow ties to a party.
 

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
24,418
124
Location Location Location
One time, someone I met at a party was talking to me, and he brought up Harry Potter, so I gave him an uppercut to the jaw.

The funeral was lovely.

Counterfit said:
*: Am I the only person who was reading Michael Chrighton in 5th grade? :confused:
No, I was as well. I was also able to spell his name correctly in the 5th grade. ;)
 

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
1,144
0
New York
Lacero said:
Nope. Doesn't matter to me whether he likes it or not, but since he did start the thread, are we not to be discussing it? Great, you hate the films too, why do you feel the need to tell the world you don't like it? Seems like sour grapes to me that other people enjoy the films, people like you probably enjoy wearing bow ties to a party.
chill out, i was just asking a question...

it seems every harry potter fan i know are hell bent on convincing everyone else to read/watch it, and i want to know why. most people aren't like that over other things, just harry potter. i've heard the "if you just give it a chance, you may like it" line more times then i can count and i'm sick of it
 

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
8,021
1
Here's what I have to say about Harry Potter:





(if you're in the UK you should get this)
 

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
7,496
424
visiting from downstream
Haven't bought or read any of the books, haven't paid to see any of the movies in the theatre... although I have watched them all on HBO. So, no, you're not the only one who really doesn't care about Harry Potter.
 

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
13,788
2,870
Sod off
I think we've had a couple "Harry Potter Hate" threads before this...

Counterfit said:
Actually, I've never been into it either. I got the first book as a birthday present a while ago, and tried reading it, but it seemed (not to insult anyone, including the author) a bit too juvenile for my tastes*. I can completely understand why kids love it, and it gets them reading (and watching movies...) so it can't be too bad.
That's how I feel....I just never got into it, it felt like a little kid's story to me. I guess anything that that gets people reading is good though.

I've always been a bit of a fan of Tolkien. Harry Potter as a fantasy story really pales in comparison to Tolkien's sweeping and comprehensively envisioned world. But even Tolkien isn't as good as the classics IMHO.

I have to admit that one of the biggest reasons I don't really like Harry Potter is the intense hype. I didn't like the hype that Jackson's LoTR movies got either; it detracted from the pleasure of watching them. I still can't believe the financial juggernaut that the Harry Potter franchise has become...I wonder if J.K. Rowling will continue to be a successful writer after the series is done or will she milk it along forever like other fantasy writers with a successful series (Robert Jordan et.al.)?


Counterfit said:
*: Am I the only person who was reading Michael Chrighton in 5th grade? :confused:
Nope. :)

I wonder If I'm the only person who read Moby Dick in 6th grade and liked it. :D
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,909
41
Andover, MA
G5orbust said:
The only person in this country who doesn't care about Harry Potter? Honestly, the hooplah is driving me nuts!
If you'd read the books, you'd see that they, too, are filled with people who don't care about Harry Potter. ;)

Personally, I love the series and enjoy the movies.
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,909
41
Andover, MA
Lord Blackadder said:
I wonder If I'm the only person who read Moby Dick in 6th grade and liked it. :D
I think you're the only person of any age to read it and enjoy it. ;)
 

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
2,627
0
Cloud 9 (-6)
I'm not against HP but I do fail to see the craze about it all. A good series is a good series, I'll give it that based on success of past and current, but I hate how these types of movies take over the entire theater when they come out. I went to see Walk The Line this weekend, Saturday night, and it was on one lousy screen while HP was on four, including both THX screens, which is ****ing ridiculous considering WtL came out Friday (as did HP) and is a great movie, the theater was packed!

I started to watch the first and second HP movies, but I've never made it through either based on my company ;) Both times were with gf's who had seen the film already, and I was less interested in imaginary flying broomsticks than I was with real-life body parts :rolleyes: That has been my interaction with HP, so actually I have to say I like it a lot....gets me more action than any other movie :D
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.