Amazing Natural Engineers

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Huntn, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

We have a Spiny Orb Weaver that has taken up residence above our front foundation shrubs (in Texas). Not only is the web large, I'm amazed that it extends up to a tree, about 7' above. Fortunately this web is out of the way and in a perfect location to catch plentiful stealth mosquitos. How does it evaluate a good spot for building? How good does it see for such evaluation? Does this mean it had to climb that tree and descend down?

Mostly I'm impressed with the precision this web is being constructed. The radials are all precise. It (gender unknown) cycles around the radial threads, pulls the radial up to attach the cross thread it's currently laying, then moves to the next radial. I tried to take a picture, but it was too small and the thread too fine to be seen by my iPhone.

I also wonder how spiders exist around the world that have this web building in their DNA. Are they all of common descent, (how did they spread?) or did they develop this talent independently? Btw, the web my SOW is building is much more professional than the examples below. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

If you want to photograph it, get up early when there is a bit of moisture still showing. Or you can cheat if you have a fine demist sprayer in the house. That's what pro's do.
    And yes they are clever aren't they. I just wish they wouldn't keep coming into the house, as my wife and daughter are both terrified of them. I come home to find plastic cups strategically placed.

3. Huntn, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I'll try that, thanks! Lizards and spiders found in my house are gently evicted. Centipedes and roaches that rarely elude the perimeter chemical defenses meet a sudden end or an exiting water ride! ;) Sometimes I discover a Green Anole mummy in a corner. :(

[​IMG]

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

You get lizards in the house too?i don't think the plastic cup until I get home would work on those!

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm not sure, but they may sneak in via a door with a small gap on the bottom.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Or, after a summer shower of rain - the outlines of the web will clearly be etched in droplets of water.

7. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Still trying to get a picture... First when word got out we were a spider friendly zone, a second Spiney Orb Weaver appeared with an adjacent web, but then we had a common deluge of rain which took the webs down. As we left for the airport to head to Minnesota, I noticed the architects were back at work. Will check progress when we get back. :)

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Shortly after dawn, twilight, any time where sunny weather also allows for the development of mists or fogs…..ice, indeed, too - ice-rimmed webs can be spectacular (though not, obviously, at this time of year) can all allow for excellent high-lighting of webs and web construction.

Good luck with it.