Amazon Confirms More Alexa-Enabled Speakers Will Eventually Support Apple Music

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 19, 2018.

1. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

I think there will be something in the next few years security wise that causes some people to ditch their smart speaker devices. I really like Apple's stance on privacy, but unfortunately I can't outfit my house in HomePods so I have a few Dots throughout the house. I would love to see an Apple device similar to the Echo Dot, but I just can't see Apple competing in that low end market. When/if the backlash occurs I think people will just get rid of their current devices and learn to live without them. I think it would taint the overall market and sour peoples opinions of all of them. Apple I think needs to start being more vocal in some way about their stance on security. They already talk about that a lot but that needs to be an extremely large focus for them as a differentiater.

2. jeremiah256 macrumors 65816

jeremiah256

Amazon and Google are flooding the market with very cheap, but useful smart speakers, for less than $50. Apple has dongles that are more expensive. And those same cheap smart speakers can be paired/connected to better speakers later if you choose. Honestly, I don't think Apple has a viable way forward with regard to cheaper smart speakers. With the Apple TV, they can rely on their deals, apps, and superior user experience to gain customers. Those advantages don't exist with the HomePod. I think this is a smart business decision on their part.

3. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

That means HomePod is a failure. And I wouldn’t be surprised if it quietly dies. Like the iPod HiFi did. It’s a shame because I think Apple absolutely could and should be competing in this market. And by market I mean voice assisted IoT not audiophile music speaker. Apple certainly shouldn’t be promoting a competitors voice assistant. Of course Apple is making the same mistake with Apple TV. Who in their right mind would spend $179 (or $199) on an Apple TV box when you can get a cheap HDMI dongle that does the same thing. Or when your smart TV has streaming apps built right in. I don’t think it’s a coincidence these two products are hardly ever mentioned by execs at Apple. My guess is sales aren’t great. I feel bad for employees who work(ed) on HomePod as it sounds like they wanted a different product than we got.

4. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Yeah. I’ve heard that before. *coughapplewatchcough*

Some people will never understand Apple’s signature strategy even though they essentially repeat it verbatim for every single device:

1. Wait until they can release something that has a unique advantage

2. Release a foundation device that is very basic to its core and does what it does well with room to grow.

3. Iterate on the device, while building a user base that’ll get those improvements as they come

4. 3 years in, the device is feature rich and powerful enough to start going mainstream, while the previously built user base is activated and suddenly it seems like everyone has one.

5. By the 4th generation, everyone wants one

You can apply that perfectly to iPod, iPhone, and Apple Watch and HomePod is following the exact same path.

5. BMox macrumors 6502a

Guess I should tell my wife to send back the HomePod I'm getting for Christmas then....

(I won't be doing that.)

6. newtonuk macrumors member

newtonuk

What's unique about the HomePod?

7. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

It will probably come to sonos before it comes to the echo in the uk.

8. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

The ability to access Siri and integrate into the rest of your Apple ecosystem. Also the ability to be a HomeKit hub.

9. newtonuk macrumors member

newtonuk

The AppleTV can act as a HomeKit hub, but to be fair, HomeKit really isn't floating anyone's boat, especially at this side of the pond. Siri is a very poor as a digital assistant and there are many other ways to integrate calendars, lists, mail etc. than just HomePod.

None of those things you list are USPs of HomePod.

Is AppleMusic so good that people will stick with it over Amazon, Spotify, Tidal etc., depending on what hardware is accessible to them?

Is Siri that good it must be used as "the only" digital assistant?

When I see HomePod, I think of iPod HiFi... Far too expensive to make any real impact.

10. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

It works better with my apple devices than the echo or the google home.

11. newtonuk macrumors member

newtonuk

Good :). Look at a realistic household who might want to buy a smart speaker and let's assume that they're have a moderate budget... They buy, let's say, an Amazon Echo and then realise that their AppleMusic subscription, which they got because they have an iPhone and is about to expire, doesn't work with their Echo, unlike Spotify or Amazon Music... Will they sell the device and buy a HomePod or will they let their AppleMusic subscription expire and sign up to something that is supported, which both are on the iPhone anyway.

The majority of people will move services I bet.

12. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

Well Apple Music is already supported on the echo in the US and will eventually make its way over here.

However although I won two HomePods I readily admit that the echo and google home are more capable which is why I own 2 echos and 1 google home mini and a fire HD 8 which works as a show.

13. newtonuk macrumors member

newtonuk

You won two HomePods! Wow! You must still be smiling :)

14. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

Lol a typo. If only if won them and not paid for them.

15. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

In the US at least, Apple Music has the most Music. Tidal is stupid and expensive. Amazon's UI is terrible, and to a point so is Spotify's.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 20, 2018 ---
    I was about ready to plop down the cash to get a HomePod, but with this news, I am going for the Echo instead. I have listened to both, and the room that this device is going in, both will sound good, with the perfect amount of bass, etc when listening to music, provided you don't get the Echo Dot.

16. jeremiah256 macrumors 65816

jeremiah256

We'll have to wait and see. I'm not sure that with Apple, neglect means failure. Unfortunately, there are too many examples of Apple ignoring popular products for years even though customers would have been satisfied with even minor tweaks/updates.

17. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

--- Post Merged, Dec 19, 2018 ---

Offering your paid service on additional devices =/= death of the HomePod.[/QUOTE]

You’re right seeing as though the HomePod is already dead.

18. Paultmaine macrumors member

Paultmaine

I’m soooooo impatient , waiting for Alexa (Apple Music) in uk