Amazon does much more for much less campaign

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JS3, Oct 28, 2012.

1. JS3 macrumors regular

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ouch. Going for the jugular. Apple should have priced it lower to kill the competition. Now it just becomes a slugfest.

3. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Good campaign. Competition is good. I'm sure next year people will say the iPad Mini 2 is what the iPad Mini should've started as.

4. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Smart move by Amazon. I love my Kindle Paperwhite but still gonna try the Mini. Hope the low res display doesn't bother me but I expect it to be a deal breaker.

5. SunnyStudioNeo macrumors regular

What is not mentioned, is the user experience, the OS responsiveness, the number of apps available, and the quality of apps.

6. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

Very wise move by Amazon, and you can bet they'll go even further once their 8.9inch HD tablet releases next month at a lower price than the Mini.

----------

I hope you're not getting the Mini to read books on. It won't be good for that.

7. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

So... Amazon made the same mistake Samsung did with their moronic SIII ad. Neat. Even using a Gizmodo quote. Holy crap.

8. JS3 thread starter macrumors regular

They say watch HD movies and tv on kindle but cant you do that on ipad if you have a prime account?

9. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

God forbid Amazon points out the truth.

10. iEvolution macrumors 65816

What's wrong with that? Further the quote is true.

----------

I believe you have to have a kindle to interact with the prime streaming benefits.

11. steve dave macrumors 6502a

Not in real HD...

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You can stream Amazon video to an iPad. There's an app for that...

13. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

That's because they're pointing out the actual hardware you're getting for the money you're paying.

14. Che Castro macrumors 603

But the software on the kindle sucks

15. steve dave macrumors 6502a

You can pay to turn them off and still be over $100 cheaper.

16. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I definitely stream from Prime to our iPads. Maybe the iPad streaming is SD vs. HD ... but it looks really outstanding[?]

Maybe that's the "No HD Movies or TV" item, but if that is limited from Amazon, there are plenty of other HD sources an iPad can stream from - and while 1024x768 would need to scale down a 1280x720 video, it's still better than SD, and both would need to scale "full" HD content (1920x1080).

17. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

Video? No. There's an app for that on most tablets. But the lending of books etc can only be done on an Amazon product. Books are still one of the biggest areas where Amazon is kicking the crap outa Apple. Pricing on music, tv, and movies almost always favors Amazon as well.

18. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Why would you ever want a amazon tablet though? I don't see any point -at all- in it.

" The Amazon Ecosystem"

but thats ************ because you can get the kindle app/kindle movies/ amazon app for shopping on the ipad and the nexus 7 and then not only have most if not close to all of amazon's content on your device but so much MORE because you will also have all of Apples/Googles content also available to you while with the kindles your essentially trapped. Out of all the tablets the Kindle Fire's have the most compromise, and a year ago it was fine because the price point was SO amazing, but now with Apple and Google entering the game the Kindle Fire doesn't make sense anymore.

19. Bokes macrumors 6502

Not a single false word in that Ad.
    The Fire HD is very impressive.
    The app experience isn't as good as it is on iPad, but it's the perfect e-reader. Netflix looks pretty darn good as well.
    Wifi is super fast as well.
    IMO- a 7 inch tablet doesn't need to be much more.

20. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

The movies/tv shows prices are the -exact- same. The only place where they beat Apple is price on music

21. iEvolution macrumors 65816

My bad.

22. steve dave macrumors 6502a

That's not true. Heck the first movie is just compared (Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter) is $2 cheaper to buy on Amazon

23. acorntoy, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Family Guy/American Dad/Futurama/Modern Family/Top Gear/Homeland

Battleship/Transformers/Avengers/The Hunger Games/Act of Valor/T

Exact same.

But I did notice that in movies -some- (less popular) titles appear to be sometimes $2 or $3 cheaper, I couldnt find cheaper tv shows

24. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Thicker, heavier, junky UI slapped over ICS, nearly worthless camera, most apps designed for mobile phones and a fraction of the apps, even at that. I wouldn't even choose the Amazon Kindle over a Nexus 7. And Gizmodo are just anti-Apple hacks.

I know some of that is purely opinion, but the key points are not. Apple meticulously designs and engineers a high end, complete experience. Amazon makes a budget tablet. Ultimately the consumers will decide and hopefully enjoy what they get.

25. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

Wrong. Studies have been done showing that Amazon routinely beats ALL the competition on video/tv pricing. One example of this is Apple's lousy Movie of the Week selection. Compare that to Amazon's daily movie of the day choices. Apple chooses old movies no one cares about, Amazon generally does their specials on new movies. Apple can't compete with any of Amazon's media specials. Well they could, they simply choose not to. And since they choose not to, I'm 100 percent done buying from them.