Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I think spying agencies are very happy with a device like this... Always ON

Of course. I hear it's at the top of terrorists/villains Christmas list . :)

Though I have my concerns the CIA will steal my rum and raisin ice cream recipe....
[doublepost=1498539733][/doublepost]
Except, of course, they don't continuously "send all that" info. It's only sent when requested.

And yeah, actually a lot of us grew up assuming that we'd have digital assistants that listened to everything. Okay, we thought they'd be more like Robbie the Robot, but hey, little steps :D

I call BS that my car does not fly!!! Failed dreams....

Reactions: kdarling and deany

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
This is exactly right. My wife and I were going to buy this primarily for my mother in law. She was both hard of hearing and couldn't see very well. At 94 she kept forgetting how to answer her flip phone. It would have been perfect to park this echo where she sat most of the day to be able to check in on her when we went out for a bit.

Unfortunately she passed away on Wednesday morning so we'll never get the chance to test it with her.
Condolences.. :(

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
And with this, there was a collective sigh of relief from governments all around the world. "Thank god we now have a device that can film and record audio, 24/7 in people's homes. And they are not only not being forced to use it, they're actually paying money for it".

Yeah. Like they couldn't already do that through your Mac's webcam and microphone. Like they couldn't already listen to every word you say even in the times before there were smartphones.

Get a grip on reality, kids.
[doublepost=1498543845][/doublepost]
Uh oh. Apple better get their s**t together.
Oh wait. FaceTime.

Only Facetime isn't voice controlled and it's also not available on a standalone device that you can park somewhere conveniently in your kitchen and use WITHOUT YOUR HANDS.
[doublepost=1498543997][/doublepost]
Seriously, why the sudden concern about privacy when you likely own a smartphone?

You wouldn't read comments like this when the thing had an Apple logo on it. But since Apple doesn't even have a device like this, the fans need to slander the competition.

Reactions: Ladybug and zkadda

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
anyone wants video in the kitchen. I thought thats what phones and tablets are for..... Its also a good way to get away from your friends.. and explains why you can keep telling people "Ya i'm still cooking for 2 hours"

I guess we need that extra .9 inches of the iPad mini to watch video ok

Last edited:

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
So, it's a tablet......
If this were a tablet then Apple would be a competitor, but the Echo has no competition from Apple.
[doublepost=1498654790][/doublepost]
Video calling on your speaker because your phone, tablet and computer are too mainstream.
Think of it more as a home phone rather than mobile phone...anyone can answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.