Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Yeah, the content I push from the browser on an android is very laggy (I have a 50mbps connection). The apps all work great (netflix, vudu, etc). I was thinking maybe it had to do with the processing power in the chromecast. I was using a nexus 5.

Hmm if I'm not mistaken it would be the nexus 5 doing the heavy lifting in the mirroring scenario. Not sure what to say, I've been pleasantly surprised with mirroring via my gs4 GE

This is videos right? Not gaming? There is definitely some latency there.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Got mine on Saturday.... about a week or so earlier than expected.

I don't have a Chromecast but have had Apple TVs since 2010--and a smart tv.

First thing I noticed with the Fire TV Stick was how fast it was. Makes my (3rd gen) Apple TV seem very slow. Was surprised that the included game was as responsive as it was... using the included remote.

So far I am impressed with the little thing... not bad for $19.

Mike

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
So far so good. The UI is fast and remote very responsive.

Right now I'm testing sideloaded apps.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Still liking mine.

Even played a kind of racing game with the included remote (the dune buggy game). It was very playable. The graphics were surprisingly good and the remote responsive.

Also have used screen mirroring from my Note 4. Worked well. Played a movie that I have stored locally on the Note 4 and it played smoothly--I would say better than using Airplay from my iPad to Apple TV.

I am watching Falling Skies from Amazon (Prime member) and it is playing very smoothly. Once again, better than my Apple TV. Seems to leave the cache in place, presumably if space allows, so going back to an episode in progress--a day later and after using other apps--was fast.

All in all I am impressed by what this little thing can do.

Michael

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Falling Skies was always cheesy from the start but I liked the story so I watched but I had to finally quit at the start of this new season, I just couldnt take it anymore..so bad

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Falling Skies was always cheesy from the start but I liked the story so I watched but I had to finally quit at the start of this new season, I just couldnt take it anymore..so bad

Yea I started watching it when it first came out but lost interest.

This time I just picked anything from Amazon Prime video--and there is not that much--and this was what I came up with. Seems better than when I first watched it.

I have to get plex going so I can get my media library available to the Fire Stick.

Mike

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Still liking mine.

Even played a kind of racing game with the included remote (the dune buggy game). It was very playable. The graphics were surprisingly good and the remote responsive.

Also have used screen mirroring from my Note 4. Worked well. Played a movie that I have stored locally on the Note 4 and it played smoothly--I would say better than using Airplay from my iPad to Apple TV.

I am watching Falling Skies from Amazon (Prime member) and it is playing very smoothly. Once again, better than my Apple TV. Seems to leave the cache in place, presumably if space allows, so going back to an episode in progress--a day later and after using other apps--was fast.

All in all I am impressed by what this little thing can do.

Michael

I played the dune buggy game too, was surprised how well it worked with the remote.

Mirroring with my Note 4 and Nexus 7(2013) is not as good as Chromecast. The aspect is off(slightly zoomed in) and color washed out.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I played the dune buggy game too, was surprised how well it worked with the remote.

Mirroring with my Note 4 and Nexus 7(2013) is not as good as Chromecast. The aspect is off(slightly zoomed in) and color washed out.

I don't have a Chromecast yet to compare but I thought I read the Fire stick uses a better method of connecting that was supposed to make it smoother. Maybe I read it backwards.

In any event, did you try streaming a video from those devices? That was what really surprised me. Great quality and very smooth. When it does that it is not really mirroring as the video only displays on the TV.

That said mirroring is a bit cumbersome to get into: buried in Settings.

Oh yea, I did try a (landscape) game and it was cut off on the sides a bit. Played very smoothly, just couldn't see the ends. I think it mirroring needs that adjustment feature that you use when you first set up the fire stick... as well as used by some apps.

Mike

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI

just curious, I saw the mirroring option in settings but how do you actually get it to mirror what is on your tablet?

Alfuh

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2009
I have to say I found the stick underwhelming.

I happily paid for the discounted offer (it's an amazing amount of tech for less than $20!). Just got it in yesterday, hooked it up and ... meh.

Let me explain: I have a Roku 2, a Chromecast and a Mac Mini

I use the Chromecast to send some streams to my TV, I'll also cast YouTube. I use the Roku as the main streaming device: Netflix, Amazon Prime, ESPN Now, Showtime, Pandora, HBO Go
I use the Mac Mini to download occasional missed episodes and I recently installed TVMC (XBMC variant)

So I guess I really had my bases covered and was hoping that the Fire Stick could supplant the Roku as the main streamer as well as run XBMC.

The UI is really slick, but man it's a bit confusing and convoluted when compared the simple Roku UI. I want to pin used apps up top, but I just have recent apps as a list and then a BUNCH of stuff Amazon recommends.

I also realized I could do screen mirroring with devices, but not really a tab casting with a computer (is this right?) so I can't cast any streams

Everyone on reddit is talking about how much they love it and are sideloading all sorts of apks to get XBMC, a new standard launcher, bluetooth peripherals, but it seems like I have that covered with my old Mac Mini.

Someone please convince me this thing is awesome and what I should do with it! Or at the very least see if you can recommend a way to accomplish everything I am looking for with less device bloat

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Sure there is. Just buy Alfuh's.

Mike

Haha!

----------

I happily paid for the discounted offer (it's an amazing amount of tech for less than $20!). Just got it in yesterday, hooked it up and ... meh.

I use the Chromecast to send some streams to my TV, I'll also cast YouTube. I use the Roku as the main streaming device: Netflix, Amazon Prime, ESPN Now, Showtime, Pandora, HBO Go
I use the Mac Mini to download occasional missed episodes and I recently installed TVMC (XBMC variant)

So I guess I really had my bases covered and was hoping that the Fire Stick could supplant the Roku as the main streamer as well as run XBMC.

The UI is really slick, but man it's a bit confusing and convoluted when compared the simple Roku UI. I want to pin used apps up top, but I just have recent apps as a list and then a BUNCH of stuff Amazon recommends.

I also realized I could do screen mirroring with devices, but not really a tab casting with a computer (is this right?) so I can't cast any streams

Everyone on reddit is talking about how much they love it and are sideloading all sorts of apks to get XBMC, a new standard launcher, bluetooth peripherals, but it seems like I have that covered with my old Mac Mini.

Someone please convince me this thing is awesome and what I should do with it! Or at the very least see if you can recommend a way to accomplish everything I am looking for with less device bloat

I agree for the most part, with that said I actually really like it!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Got mine about 2 weeks earlier than originally scheduled. Haven't had too much time to play with it - but I think it's a solid device. I have 2 Apple TVs, a Roku 3 and 2 chromecasts. I really only bought this because it too inexpensive to not at least pick one up. I don't think it's going to supplant any of my other devices, but for someone looking for a streaming stick, it's definitely a solid choice to pick vs the competition. Can it do everything the others cant, no. But for those into the Amazon ecosystem that also want to stream from netflix, etc, have a remote based system and a tiny footprint - it's a good purchase at even 39.99.

If nothing else, I'll use it as a travel device...

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
I received this the other day and it's definitely a decent device for the $20 I paid for it.

Thus far here are my thoughts.

Pros:

-it plays games
-it's noticeably faster than Chromecast (although I need to do more tests)
-It has native Amazon Prime support
-voice support. it's pretty fast and captured my commands very consistently
-text input via remote much faster than Apple TV's remote.
-Pressing the middle button the remote changes the HDMI channel

Cons:

-it requires an Amazon account with a valid billing method on file to download any of the other video or game apps (youtube.com, netflix, etc.), even if they're free. So you can't just create a dummy account and then download free games.
-It's bigger than a Chromecast. I had to use the extended dongle adapter to fit into my TV (kinda the fault of my TV though since it wasn't built with these dongles in mind haha)
-Doesn't turn on my TV like Chromecast does. I need to double check this.

Alimar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
New York State
I was supposed to get mine last week. UPS lost it in the transfer to USPS. Amazon can't deliver a replacement until January! Hoo boy.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

You just compared it to your Mac mini...case closed :)

ryankul

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2014
Michigan
Got two while on sale. Works pretty good. We will see what features get added via software updates. Not bad considering I got two for not even half of an Apple TV.

(Still waiting on an Apple TV update..)

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Got two while on sale. Works pretty good. We will see what features get added via software updates. Not bad considering I got two for not even half of an Apple TV.

(Still waiting on an Apple TV update..)
Probably going to be a long wait. It's only been 3 years since the ATV3 came out. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.