Amazon iPhone Trade-In Program

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThunderApple, Sep 11, 2014.

1. ThunderApple macrumors 6502

2. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

att is offering the same, i'd rather do that to pay my bill. i have a 4s so i won't get much but enough to pay 1 months bill or i can buy a JBL flip.

3. vajeff macrumors member

Where are you seeing 45 Days? I went through it on my daughters iP5 and it stated I needed to ship it by the 18th?

Did I miss some fine print on the 45 day thing?

4. ThunderApple thread starter macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

I spoke with a rep and they confirmed it as well. Could be a mistake though.

5. wolve macrumors regular

Bumping this thread instead of starting a new one...

Has anyone else traded-in an iPhone with Amazon? They received my old iPhone 5 last Thursday (10/2) and the status is still listed as "Processing" on the website. I've traded-in other items with Amazon such as movies and games, and usually only takes a day for them to issue a gift card credit. But this is my first time sending a phone, so wondering if longer processing time is typical?

6. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I've traded in a 3GS before and it was quick. Maybe delay has to do with needing to check Find My iPhone activation and what I expect is a huge deluge of trade-ins from upgraders?

7. duaneu macrumors 6502a

I think they’re probably dealing with a large volume of trade ins right now, with a new iPhone just being released. Mine took several days to process as well. Now a little venting about my recent experience:

I’ve traded in with Amazon in the past and had good experiences, but I really feel like they screwed me this last time out. Last year, I traded in my year old iPhone 5 and they paid me full “like new” condition for it. I also traded in two old iPhone 4’s and they paid “good” on those. This year however, I sent in my unlocked 5s and tried for “like new” again, even though it had a small nick on one corner. I would have understood if they had only rated it “good”, but I was stunned when they called it “acceptable” and only paid $100 for it. I also sent in an iPhone 5 that had lived its whole life in a case and was in great shape and they called that one “acceptable” as well. I never dreamed they would rate them that low, so I didn’t select the “return items” option.

So I take it as a lesson learned. If I ever decide to use them again in the future, I would definitely select the option to have the items returned if they are judged to be in lower than the requested condition.

8. wolve macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. I submitted an unlocked iPhone 5 as "good" condition and selected the return items option since the "acceptable" price was ridiculously low ($1.25). It seems strange to me Amazon asks people to include the original box and cables. I don't know of any other reseller that asks for those things. I would be surprised if Amazon or their outside vendor actually sell used phones with the original box & accessories.

9. Jane333 macrumors regular

I always select the option to return if amazon determines it is not in the condition I said it was. I have traded in about 4 phones. For my 64 gb 4S two years ago, I marked good and they said it was like new and gave me a $405 gift card! I do they are now looking at the condition more carefully.

10. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Amazon iPhone Trade-In Program

Can anyone answer this question:

Does the imei number on the phone have to match with the box?

I am asking because I got a white box replacement (in a week old iPhone 5 when it was initially released) and it no longer matches the box. I just don't want to send it in if the likelihood of it being rejected and sent back.

My phone is Mint, but seeing how everyone and their mom will trading/sending in their old phones, the price, I assume will drastically drop and they will not honor their original guaranteed price.

Thanks in advance.

11. duaneu macrumors 6502a

My iPhone 5 that I traded in had been replaced under warranty. It didn't make any difference.

12. wolve macrumors regular

So after waiting a week for Amazon to process my trade-in, I finally get an e-mail from them. My iPhone was rejected as being the incorrect item, and the Amazon site lists "incorrect edition" in the details. That makes no sense to me since I sent in exactly what I chose, an "Apple iPhone 5, Black 16GB (Unlocked)". So I call up customer support and after a little while, the CSR finds a note in their system about my phone being rejected for not being unlocked.

After going through the entire ordeal of unlocking the phone w/ AT&T, I'm fairly pissed right now. I suppose I can take the phone to an AT&T store to verify the unlock. At this point I kind of wish I went with Gazelle. Heck, eBay might be easier.

13. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Did you restore it as new in iTunes and get the congratulations your phone is unlocked message. That's important.....

14. wolve macrumors regular

Yup, that's what I did and I got the unlock message. The only way I know to test the unlock would be to stick in a SIM from another carrier, but I don't have one. :p

15. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Sure does sound like it's unlocked. I've had great results with Amazon. :confused:

16. wolve macrumors regular

Yeah same here, but that is when I traded-in movies and games. I don't think I'll every bother again with sending in a smartphone.

17. Rigby macrumors 601

Have you checked the trade-in price for the AT&T version? When I traded mine, the AT&T version actually had a higher value than the unlocked. So I sent it in as AT&T (even though it was officially unlocked by AT&T) ...

18. mzd macrumors 6502a

you can check your IMEI status here: http://www.t-mobile.com/verifyIMEI.aspx

i had good luck with the Amazon trade in, getting $235 for a "like new" 16gb AT&T iPhone 5. i locked in the price on 9/12 and mailed it out a few days after my iPhone 6 arrived.

19. wolve macrumors regular

Just tried the T-mobile lookup, and it says "We do not recognize the IMEI number you entered. Please try again or contact Customer Care at 1-877-453-1304." So I guess phone is still locked? :(

I initially had a quote for my AT&T iPhone 5 for "good" condition at $211. I At the same time, unlocked price was around $202 iirc. Then at some point the unlocked price jumped to $252, so submitted a new trade-in and cancelled the old one. Wish I had kept that original trade-in, although I'd be getting really close to the 45 day time limit. Still boggles me why locked price is usually higher than unlocked on Amazon. It's the opposite everywhere else.

Just curious for people choosing "like new" condition, were there any minor scratches or nicks on your phones? Mine had minor wear & tear after 2 years even with using case and screen protector.

20. mzd macrumors 6502a

hmm, sorry the IMEI lookup didn't work. maybe try another site? there are a bunch if you google.

the iPhone i sent in was truly mint. it was my wife's and even though she didn't use a screen protector, it was in perfect shape. no scratches, front or back. it really looked no different than the day she bought it. i was a bit anxious since i had selected the option allowing them to downgrade the condition as opposed to just sending it back, but fortunately Amazon came through.
    i wish i could have got more for it honestly, but seeing as she got it for $99 through an AT&T sale last year, we made $134 on the iPhone after just a little over one year of ownership. and i did not want to deal with ebay after some issues with shady buyers for a similarly mint iPhone 4 last year.

21. wolve macrumors regular

I tried a few sites, but most of them ask for money to lookup SIM lock status. Probably the most popular site is www.IMEI.info since it's free, but the iPhone lookup wasn't working when I tried it. :p

Anyways I submitted a new trade-in on Amazon for locked iPhone. Not as much as last month, but still not bad at $189 for "good" condition.

22. babby macrumors member

Bad experience with Amazon

I selected good condition for my 5s. It had little ding on antenna band. Except for that it was immaculate. Ear buds and lightning cable were still in packaging. Figured that Amazon was a good deal because I could get about the same as I would on ebay after figuring out the seller fees. Thought amazon would be less of a hassle. They rejected my phone as unacceptable. I am a bit baffled by that and frustrated. Now waiting to get my phone back. Hope it comes back in the same condition I sent it. But not feeling good about it.

23. InsideTJ macrumors regular

how picky are they about the accessories?

like new is showing $250, good is showing $215.

My 5 is in mint shape and i have the box. but no extra earbuds or charger/lightning cable.

24. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Oh dear -

I sent my SG 5S in 64GB - really really good shape. Now I'm afraid they are going to reject it. The case I had it in left a slight scratch on the back. I sure hope I get it back in good enough condition to get what I would have from AT&T. They only received mine yesterday (10/09 - but I keep checking to see if there's an acknowledgement or a gift card. If they rejected yours and they reject mine - I'll have questions about how legitimate they are. Fingers crossed.

25. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I took my 5s to the Apple Store and got $310 for it. No box, EarPods, or Charger.