Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I too think this is great. There are still people out there who have no idea that iPod is for PCs too. My parents and little sister live in upstate NY (near Syracuse too, wierd), and they had no real idea what iPods even were until I got a mini for my sister and my stepdad has PowerMacs in the printshop he runs.

And they are Amazon users, so this would help people like them.

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Apple has one of the worst track records for advertising in history. Sure they have the 1984 commercial, but other than that, nothing. And no steady commercials for computers ever that have been the least bit effective. They do printt in high profile magazines (back covers, etc.) but as far as TV goes, ziltch. They need to advertise their computers, software, etc., but they don't. End of story.

Steve's ethos has always been "I think Apple's computers are the best, so everyone else must too... so why advertise?"

It's not about being the best, it's about people actually having mindshare, which, aside from the ipod, Apple's got none of.

DavidLeblond said:
Although I wish I saw more ads for Apple's computers. I haven't seen ONE ad on TV for the new iMac... hell I didn't see any for the iMac before that one either! The last Apple computer commercial I saw was the Switch commercials... after that, silence. I was sure with a tagline like "from the creators of the iPod" I was gonna see the TV plastered with ads for the iMac! Not so. :( That disappoints me greatly.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
This is good news for Apple. The more outlets the better, this gives worldwide access. :D

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
They should offer iTMS gift cards. I know this sounds selfish but, I am thinking about holiday gifts, gifts that could be coming my way and even though you can buy iTMS gift cards right from apple's site, having an amazon wish list is a nice way to make gift buyers days a lot easier.

Design, yuck! amazon needs a designer, a team of designers... every year their site gets less and less appealing.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Forget about Amazon, I woke up around 2 this morning to find my wife propped up in bed, watching Steve Jobs hawkin' iPod's on HSN!

oh wait, that was just a dream I had...awwwww, NEVERMIND!

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
Okay, middle of the week, only 2 pieces of news. This and iPod Projections for X-mas. This is kinda sad.

Anyone got any dirt on releases this month (eMac, XServe?) or stuff for Mac World San francisco?

It's time to start wondering what apple has in store for one of their 2 biggest shows now.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
zwida said:
I don't recall the source on this, but the last thing I remember reading about the iMac is that there are increasing wait times because of unexpectedly high demand.

Unexpected? Yeah right...

It's almost always good for Apple to expand on iPod. This will surely bring in new buyers.
-Chase

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
slu said:
I too think this is great. There are still people out there who have no idea that iPod is for PCs too. My parents and little sister live in upstate NY (near Syracuse too, wierd), and they had no real idea what iPods even were until I got a mini for my sister and my stepdad has PowerMacs in the printshop he runs.

And they are Amazon users, so this would help people like them.

If you think that's bad, wait to hear this.

I went into a *computer* store three weeks ago, and the guy at that store didn't even know what was clipped on my belt.

Yes, sir, that's an iPod. <sigh>

Mind you, I'm the only one I know with an iPod in my town. Then again, I don't know that many people. ;-)

ioinc

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Clearwater, Florida
nagromme said:
The iPod and its hype are great for Apple and for the Mac platform--especially in creating a long-term brand that will make people consider Macs when they next replace their computer.

This is a myth.

You don't go out and buy a Sony Viao because you are really happy with your new Sony digital camera.

I know people that use PC's and think the Mac is a bad platform. These people would never consider buying a mac computer.

Since the advent of the iPod they have taken the leap and bought one (some have even added airTunes)... and they are really happy. They think it is an elegant polished solution to their portable music needs.

And they would still never consider buying a Mac computer.

Please don't flood me with emails telling me about your cousins, girlfriends, sisters, nephew... who just bought a mac computer after getting an iPod.

This is the exception not the rule... the mac market share indicates that Apple is selling a lot of iPods... not a lot of Macs (relatively speaking)

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
ioinc said:
I know people that use PC's and think the Mac is a bad platform. These people would never consider buying a mac computer.

While the iPod doesn't hurt Mac sales, I agree with your point. That goes along with my previous point, that Apple is doing an excellent job at selling iPods but it feels like they aren't even trying with the Mac.

I was anti-Mac up until I started wandering in the new Apple store out here. If wasn't for that store, I'd still think that Apples were buggy POSes. Sure there are many places on the internet singing the Mac's praises, but if you are a Mac-hating PC lover you aren't going to be reading any of them and you will write them off as zealots.

Apple needs to advertise their line of computers. And the fact that they can't keep iMacs in stock doesn't mean that sales are fine... it may just mean that they need to speed up production.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.