Amazon is Penalizing (delay shipping) when you get free shipping:Amazon Shipping Scam

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Frisco, May 5, 2012.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

I ordered from Amazon Thursday night. It still shows "Shipping Soon." If I had chose to pay for shipping they would have sent it out on Friday. And yes it is directly shipped from Amazon not a distributor. In the past when I ordered things from Amazon on Thursday night they shipped the next day whether USPS or UPS.

Two other issues:

1) When you order from Amazon and choose USPS shipping they overcharge you. For example I few weeks ago I ordered a bottle of supplements and it was very light. They charged me $6.00 for shipping. The supplements only cost $5.00--more than the shipping. There is no way the weight of the package costs USPS $6.00--and no it was not priority mail.

2) When Amazon ships from one of there distribution facilities they don't tell you where it is shipping from. So if I need it in a hurry I choose UPS next day air (expensive), but many times the distribution facility is very close (within 50 miles). Are you telling me they are shipping by Air for 50 miles? No way, but you still get charged the Air amount even though they didn't use it and if I had chose ground it would have arrived at the same time.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you choose next day air then you pay for it, regardless. Finally, I don't think you're being scammed. Even if the product ships directly from Amazon there is a possibility that there is a delay in the shipping is usually noted. As far as how much it cost to ship the bottom-line is they charge what they charge and you can't honestly tell me that you have never paid an exorbitant amount of shipping for something else on another site.

Did you email Amazon and ask them what was the issue? They are usually very good about telling you and they may refund your shipping cost.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Probably on the presumption that not many people will bother.

This is a rampant epidemic with all commerce today.

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Do you think the only cost Amazon has in shipping an item to you is the amount they paid to the postal service? What about the staff and materials they use?

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Personally, I've always though Aazon's shipping policy was fair.

I guess I don't understand: if you chose to opt for free shipping, why do you expect Amazon to ship it with the same speed as if you had? :confused:

6. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Amazon has better prices than most. I can deal with a shipping delay when I'm getting free shipping.

7. Liquinn Suspended

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I get the impression that he believes that they actually delay shipping, as a form of punishment.

Of course none of us know the inner workings of Amazon, but the concept could be in their business model, by design. ;)

9. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

USA. Amazon.com

----------

Yes you said it better than myself.

10. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

So who's getting the extra money I chose for quicker shipping? Not UPS, and I am not being reimbursed so Amazon is pocketing the money yet they didn't ship as I wanted. Obviously they can't ship UPS overnight air if it's shipping from some place locally, but they don't tell me that. They charge me for that. So it's misleading shipping for the customer and also the carrier. They should inform you where you it will ship from.

Amazon is pocketing our extra shipping charges when in fact they didn't ship it as ordered.

11. 184550 Guest

Is thread just to whine or to suggest a remedy? :confused:

Caveat emptor. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

12. kolax macrumors G3

You can either have free shipping or expedited shipping which you pay for. I wouldn't expect free shipping to be shipped the same time as the paid expedited shipping.

Your whining has no foundations..

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

When I visit Amazon, I only see three options: standard shipping, two-day shipping, and one-day shipping. If I chose standard shipping and I receive my item the next day, then great! ...But if I want to ensure I receive my item the next day then I need to pay more for one-day shipping, and then Amazon guarantees my shipment will arrive the next day. In most instances, this will cost Amazon a bit more, but I'm sure sometimes it doesn't. I don't view that as inherently unfair, though. :confused:

I would be mad if I chose one-day shipping and it arrived later than that, but I don't think that's what we're talking about, is it?

14. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Free shipping is only offered on purchases over a certain amount $$.

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

indeed......why would anybody expect "free" to be shipped as fast as "paid" ???

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

So because they do not move it as quickly it is a scam?

The warehouses each can only move so many products a day. The next day, and 2 days shipping ones are always going to come first, then paid shipping, then the free ones get in the what ever they can category working their way down from the one placed first to last.

Paid shipping comes first plan and simple. You get what you pay for.

17. davidinva macrumors 6502a

I don't order from Amazon a lot, but when I do it's with free shipping. Stuff has arrived anywhere from 3 to 7 days. If I want something right away, I will pay extra.

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It's not punishment it's low priority. The people that pay for faster service get their packages put on the plane/truck first. Also you are paying for shipping & handling. You aren't just paying for the shipper to do it's job you are paying for people at Amazon to process your order, package it and hand it off to the shipper.

Amazon doesn't list the method's used for shipping. They only give you times frames to choose from (3-5 day, 2-day, 1-day, etc.,) so I'm not sure why you are mentioning specific carriers & methods. In Amazon's support section they have a pretty through FAQ about their shipping & handling prices and policies.

I don't see why you are singling Amazon out when using shipping to pad margins is very common. If I were to guess I'd say most companies do that when they ship. That's actually one reason I pay from Amazon Prime so I don't have to worry about shipping costs much anymore.

Lethal

19. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you don't like it, don't buy from Amazon. Seems pretty simple to me.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Does Amazon offer free shipping on a sense of entitlement?

21. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I spoke to a customer service rep about the fact that when you use Amazon's "Free Super Saver Shipping", it seemed to take longer to get out the door than paid shipping. The rep was very open about it and said that the free shipping goes to the bottom of the shipping list for the day, and the paid shipping gets priority. The rep said that it saves them money doing it that way and then "we can pass along the savings blah, blah, blah".

Amazon does not conceal that Free Super Saver Shipping is slow. My experience is that the free shipping takes about 2-3 days to get out the door.

22. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Finally someone understands what I am trying to say.

(1) Why when you qualify for free shipping are you treated like a 2nd class citizen?

(2) I never complained about the shipping time (I realize shipping will be longer, but it takes longer for them to start the shipping process). My complaint was with when they ship it.

(3) No one has answered this question yet. When I pay for overnight shipping and they don't use it why should I pay for overnight shipping? I don't know where they are shipping from.

23. 184550 Guest

Per Amazon:

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

1. You get what you pay for. No matter how you cut it. Free shipping goes to the bottom of the pile. The more you pay for shipping the higher the priority. The exeption are prime customers who fall in the 2 day shipping category automatically.

2. See point 1.

3. Fed ex and UPS charge a heavy primium for one day shipping no matter what. Yes it may be cheaper to send it from say Dallas to Houston than say from the East Coast to Houston but the difference in cost to Amazon is pretty little. Most of that cost is over night is fairly costly and UPS charges a premium for it.
    On top of that the over night stuff is more expensive to get to. it gets put at the top of the pile for warehouse staff. They have to get pulled off what they are doing to go get that item and put it on the truck. The other items can be done more systematically. That means a crew can start at 1 end of the warehouse and work to the other grabbing the items needed or based on wear they are going. It more effience in the handling the department.

Those cost can not be reduced no matter what. It cost Amazon more to have the crew get the over night items, and it cost them more to get those same items.

25. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If you paid for one-day shipping and you received your item in one day, then Amazon used one-day shipping, even if it was delivered from one block away by a child pulling a red wagon.

You're not paying for FedEx Overnight... you're paying for Amazon to do what it takes to get your package to you in one day. If that means UPS Ground, then so be it. If that means FedEx Custom Critical, then you got a deal. Either way, you still got what you paid for: which was to receive your package in one day.

At least, that's how I see it.