Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

youradhere4222

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
I've been going back and forth trying to decide on which MacBook is for me, if I should wait out for a Pro, etc.

I have $1000, and am getting offers around $400 for my laptop. If sold, that would even out at around $1400, which poses a problem because even after student discount I'll have to pay over $1500 to Apple with taxes added in.

I was browsing Amazon, and saw they carried the latest models. One thing is that they don't offer a student discount, so it'd be the regular $1499. They do, however, offer a mail-in rebate.

So after the rebate, it would be $1400 on the dot. I was sure they added taxes, but for curiosity I added it into the cart.

The only surcharge they mentioned was shipping, but they didn't add tax.

So my question - does Amazon add tax, or am I just being naive?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
they don't tax, but you have to realize that the rebate comes in much later, so you can't really factor that into the immediate purchasing cost. i was quoted 10 weeks on a rebate for a recent imac purchase.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
US law only requires tax on business taking place within the state to be charged. Therefore if you do not live in Washington, then you don't have to pay taxes at the time of purchase. Legally, many states have a use tax, that you must pay to the state (same as your state sales tax), but few people do.

TEG

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
I too thought about going the educational discount route but found out that it takes off less than the amount you get charged for tax. Making places that dont charge tax cheaper than the educational discount.

I think there is some kind of developer thing that has a huge 1 time discount on a computer. You need to buy the developer package but the discount on the computer is so large that I think it cancels out both the cost of the developer thing, the tax, and then a little extra. I dont know all the details about it so I could be wrong.

youradhere4222

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
US law only requires tax on business taking place within the state to be charged. Therefore if you do not live in Washington, then you don't have to pay taxes at the time of purchase. Legally, many states have a use tax, that you must pay to the state (same as your state sales tax), but few people do.

TEG

So why does Apple charge tax for online shopping? I don't live in California. :(

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So why does Apple charge tax for online shopping? I don't live in California. :(

Companies have to charge sales tax for online shopping in every state of the USA where they have a physical shop. For example, Apple has to charge sales tax in every state where they have an Apple Store.

Y-Guy

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
Washigton State
And Amazon has only their offices in Seattle.
Actually they have locations elsewhere too. Call centers located in different areas.

If they have business presence in the state they are usually required to collect the sales tax. I used to buy a lot from Amazon, but now living in WA again they charge me tax. I don't mind paying (mostly) but when I am looking at the bottom line they rarely beat the price now.

ItTakesII

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Miami, FL
I've heard good things about MacMall having cheap prices. You may want to check them out.

In my case I am being charged $68 for the Macbook after the student discount, which to me is a lot lol.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
Apple charged tax before they had retail stores (atleast in my state). Dell Business at dell.com charges tax while Dell Home does not. I was charged tax when buying a 2005fpw monitor a few years ago from Dell Business, they dont have any retail stores anywhere (or atleast didnt when I bought it, I think they opened up a retail store not too long ago). Some places just charge tax to everybody, I dont know why.

jfull15

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
I've heard good things about MacMall having cheap prices. You may want to check them out.

In my case I am being charged $68 for the Macbook after the student discount, which to me is a lot lol.

ONLY 68 BUCKS FOR A MACBOOK?! THATS A LOT??
Dude. Seriously? Only 68 bucks?

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
There is no Apple Store in my state, but anything I order from Apple online is taxed. I bought my Touch on Amazon for this very reason. The savings was minimal, and it eliminated free etching, but I have Amazon Prime, so 2 day shipping is free (if you don't count the $79 annual fee, that in my case pays for itself within the first month). :eek:

I'm not up on tax law, but I am completely certain that this loophole to avoid paying sales tax is temporary, and will one day (soon) be eliminated across the board for online shoppers. Enjoy it while you can. :)

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Actually they have locations elsewhere too. Call centers located in different areas.

If they have business presence in the state they are usually required to collect the sales tax. I used to buy a lot from Amazon, but now living in WA again they charge me tax. I don't mind paying (mostly) but when I am looking at the bottom line they rarely beat the price now.

While that is true, they have shipping centers elsewhere, they have no stores, that that is the caveat with Sales Taxes (usually). It however also depends on state law. Some states require the Sales Tax regardless, others expect the purchaser to pay the use tax.

ItTakesII

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Miami, FL
ONLY 68 BUCKS FOR A MACBOOK?! THATS A LOT??
Dude. Seriously? Only 68 bucks?
I mean $68 of tax. And yes, that is expensive in my case seeing as I have nearly no source of income. Just did the math, the tax (7%) on a Macbook costing $999 is indeed $70.

jfull15

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
I mean $68 of tax. And yes, that is expensive in my case seeing as I have nearly no source of income. Just did the math, the tax (7%) on a Macbook costing $999 is indeed $70.

ohhhhh. nevermind. yeah I feel you, tax is a bummer.

pazreal

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
From the Amazon.com customer service page...

"Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the states of Kansas, Kentucky, North Dakota, or Washington are subject to tax."

Sogo

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2004
So does anyone know for certain that there is not tax for online purchases for someone in California? I would love for that to be true, but i somehow find hard to swallow.

NVm...

Mo Tiggas

macrumors member
May 5, 2005
Oregon, USA
Companies have to charge sales tax for online shopping in every state of the USA where they have a physical shop. For example, Apple has to charge sales tax in every state where they have an Apple Store.

No tax in Oregon, Alaska, Delaware, New Hampshire, or Montana. So I guess, it's ALMOST every state...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.