Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon is currently offering $101 off the price of Sony's highly rated MDR-1000X noise-canceling Bluetooth headphones, which came out last October and usually retail at $399.

The headphones boast the same drivers as the company's well-regarded MDR-1A headset made for listening to Hi-Res Audio, as supported by the company's Walkman range and its line of wireless home speakers and in-car audio systems.

Sony-9.jpg

They also offer up to 20 hours' battery life, touch controls, and exceptional adaptive noise-canceling, rivaling the likes of Bose's QuietComfort 3 and Sennheiser's PXC 550.

In addition, Sony's headset supports the full range of wireless codecs, including AAC, aptX, SBC, and the company's proprietary LDAC, which transmits up to three times more data than conventional Bluetooth for superior sound on supporting devices.

The cans are available on Amazon for $298 in beige or black. You can read MacRumors' in-depth review of Sony's MDR-1000X headphones here.

Note: MacRumors may benefit from affiliate links clicked in this article.

Article Link: Amazon Offering $101 Off Sony's MDR-1000X Noise-Canceling Bluetooth Headphones

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
These headphones' price has long (over a month) been slashed to around 300 euros at least in Europe, both on European Amazons and also several shops (e.g., the Helsinki Airport).

I also contemplated purchasing one (so that I don't end up carrying my Bose QC 35 between home and work) but, then, thought I'd wait for the next Sony model. It may soon be released, given these massive price reductions.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
These are great. Only problem is comfort after an hour or two. They start feeling heavy and my ears get very warm because of the over the ear design. NC is excellent though. I bought mine a few weeks ago at $329. Didn't think they would go lower.

yngrshr

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
NJ
Most uncomfortable headphones I've ever used, don't bother.

The opposite is true for many people. These are very comfortable headphones. Sitting there and telling an entire group of people, in a blanket statement, that they are uncomfortable is a bit stupid. You know, since comfort is one of the most subjective things imaginable (due to head shapes, ear shapes, weight tolerance, etc.).

I find these to be just as comfortable as the Bose QC 35s I used to have, yet they sound better and the variable NC is a dream as a commuter.

pshady

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2005
los angeles
These headphones' price has long (over a month) been slashed to around 300 euros at least in Europe, both on European Amazons and also several shops (e.g., the Helsinki Airport).

I also contemplated purchasing one (so that I don't end up carrying my Bose QC 35 between home and work) but, then, thought I'd wait for the next Sony model. It may soon be released, given these massive price reductions.

300 Euros is not $300 US dollars. Much cheaper in the US

Reactions: nrose101

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Most uncomfortable headphones I've ever used, don't bother.

I actually think the opposite. These are the most comfortable headphones I have ever had. Mine went in for repair about a week ago and was stuck using power beats. I was so glad when they came back!

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I own these headphones, and I'm generally happy with them. But there's one thing you should know. There are a fair number of reports of the plastic in the hinge area cracking. Just search for "sony mdr-1000x crack." I wonder if this is why the price dropped so much. Is Sony coming out with a newer design? If I had known this before, I probably would have bought Bose headphones. Mine haven't cracked (yet).

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
I own these headphones, and I'm generally happy with them. But there's one thing you should know. There are a fair number of reports of the plastic in the hinge area cracking. Just search for "sony mdr-1000x crack." I wonder if this is why the price dropped so much. Is Sony coming out with a newer design? If I had known this before, I probably would have bought Bose headphones. Mine haven't cracked (yet).

Mine didn't crack, but I blew out the woofer listening to Metallica too loud :p

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Totally subjective, but I don't like the way these look. I like over-the-ear headphones that have thinner earcups. Not super thin obviously, but I think headphones with big deep earcups make you look like mickey mouse.

If Sony could modernize the look of the MDR7506, while keeping the same general dimensions, and put ANC into them, I would buy them.
Sony_MDR_7506_MDR_7506_Headphone_49510.jpg

Reactions: ignatius345

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY

Yeah, that's the only thing that held me back from purchasing them. They felt really comfortable from the hour I used them (owned by a friend). Anyway, Sony is probably a few weeks/days away from announcing the successor to this model and hopefully they strengthened that weak spot in the design/manufacturing.

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
For anyone interested in the Sennheiser PXC 550: Amazon has them on sale for $329, plus you receive a $50 Amazon gift card, making them effectively $279.

Reactions: Morod

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I have these headphones and really enjoy them. The noise cancelling is excellent, definitely better than my older Bose QC15s. The Bluetooth is nice, too. Both features make them a treat on the plane.

randyhudson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
USA
Can you turn off the NC? Beats studios are annoying because there's always white noise produced by the NC, even in quiet listening environment

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Still waiting for virtually no delay with Bluetooth audio.

OS systems can try to account for it, but any headset I use still had a noticeable delay with desktop systems.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Can you turn off the NC? Beats studios are annoying because there's always white noise produced by the NC, even in quiet listening environment

As timmyh pointed out, you can. Though I should note the noise cancelling on these headphones is fairly unobtrusive. One of the things about the Bose I had was a sense of 'pressure' when NC was on. These headphones don't have that ... it's a much more natural feel.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
great for airplanes. NC can be turned off...ability to pause NC by placing hands over the ear cup is surprisingly useful. touch controls on the pad are not great...works sometimes.

my biggest complaint (and why the bose might be better for some) is that it can't connect to multiple devices simultaneously. the bose can...

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
I owned these headphones. They were fantastic but I ended up swapping them for the Bose QC35s for one reason... If you pair more than two devices, it’s a pain to switch between them!

So I had my iPhone, iPad and MacBook paired. When I switched them on I had to disconnect one device (for example my iPad) to connect my MacBook, which had to be done on the MacBook.

With the Bose, I just push the power button a couple of times to cycle devices.

iJohnnyCretiu

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2017
Bought the Sonys and after a few days of listening I returned them. The fact that you can hear the active SC, hum/buzz is a deal breaker for me. There are many times on my frequent plane rides where I just put the QC35s on and dont play any music or media through them. Simply use them to block out sound and fall asleep. Doing that with the Sonys was almost impossible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.