Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
The opposite is true for many people. These are very comfortable headphones. Sitting there and telling an entire group of people, in a blanket statement, that they are uncomfortable is a bit stupid. You know, since comfort is one of the most subjective things imaginable (due to head shapes, ear shapes, weight tolerance, etc.).

I find these to be just as comfortable as the Bose QC 35s I used to have, yet they sound better and the variable NC is a dream as a commuter.
I think he was trying to alert potential buyers of those MDR-1000Xs, that they could be uncomfortable after a while.

Actually many people have reported long-term comfort issues of varying degrees, with almost all on-ear headphones due to pressure on the sensitive outer ear. Imho, the over-ear variety yields the best long-term comfort level of all headphone types, but they are definitely bulkier (not necessarily heavier though), which could be an issue for some listeners, especially for on-the-go use, but for home use I think the over-ear kind are the cat's meow.

An additional advantage of the over-ear type is that by their larger diameter, they often also sport larger drivers which then usually translates into higher AQ, including better bass response.

In the end, it's a matter of personal preference and type of usage. i.e. in the gym, at your desk, out and about, etc.

Boom shaka laka

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2017
These are great. Only problem is comfort after an hour or two. They start feeling heavy and my ears get very warm because of the over the ear design. NC is excellent though. I bought mine a few weeks ago at $329. Didn't think they would go lower.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.