Amazon overwhelmed with shipping?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Jul 13, 2016.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I order from Amazon frequently. I've had more delayed shipments than ever before in the last 6 months. I also noticed Amazon has recently implemented No-Rush Shipping, which if you select it, you'll be given Amazon credit towards future purchases for not requiring quick shipping. I figure Amazon must be struggling with shipping orders to do that.

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I don't know if they're struggling or if they're just coming up with alternatives to combat future growth issues.

3. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

the just want you to sign up for prime. paid in advance.

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Long time PRIME member...shipping in my opinion has become worse...

5. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

I've been a Prime member since 08. In the past 6 months even one day and free second day shipping has had more delays than I've ever experience.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've not noticed any delays in my products. My wife purchased a Shark Vacuum and it had a shipping windows of August through September which was odd, but other then that, I've been happy with how quick things are processed.

I'm waiting for a new Kindle, which should be arriving today, which is fast (ordered it on Prime day)

7. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

The 2 times I didn't get a delivery was because UPS lost track of them. It wasn't Amazon's fault.

8. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

Shipping has been perfect for me and I've not noticed a single problem expect when USPS took a shipment and it got delayed a day which was no biggie. The option to get a credit for "normal" shipping is a great idea and I use it often.

9. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

I'm in one of the same day delivery markets. My last package was ordered Sunday morning, delivered Sunday evening. If it's been available with Prime, I've always received it on time. Not everything is available with Prime, though.

10. martint235 macrumors regular

martint235

I don't know if previous posters are all US based but it's the same in the UK. I ordered an Apple Watch, showing as in stock, on the 30th June. I'm a Prime subscriber so selected next day delivery but strangely was given a delivery date of the 5th. I got an email on the 5th saying delivery had been delayed until 9th-13th July. I waited until Sunday 10th and still not having heard anything cancelled the order and placed one (bearing in mind this is Sunday morning) with John Lewis, watch was delivered before lunch on the 11th.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

No-Rush shopping (for credits) has been been an option for me going on a few years now. Wonder if they're selective in which markets they roll that out in?

Amazon put a distribution center in-state where I live (a few hours away). Have to pay sales tax now, but a lot of 2-day free Prime deliveries show up next day.

They also rolled out Prime Now, where you can get 1-hour delivery (for a charge) or 2-hour delivery (free) on a subset of their items. The metro area I live in isn't major (I think we're around #40 on the list, when sorted by population), so was surprised to see that service here. That's too convenient sometimes. lol
    --- Post Merged, Jul 14, 2016 ---
    I've seen some weirdness like that on items like that when Amazon fulfills orders for third-party merchants. I wish Amazon would directly sell all Apple products (in the US).

12. Volusia macrumors regular

Volusia

Thought it was just me. My last two orders showed no movement on the on line tracking for several days (one was six days before it showed up at all) then they rushed the delivery to make sure it arrived within their window. One package, the one that did nothing for six days, was overnighted and showed up on a Sunday!

Previously, most orders would indicate arrival by, say, the 10th and would arrive by the 7th. Not anymore!

13. an-other macrumors regular

Their financials show a significant year over year increase in shipping costs.

From my experience/interpolation: Non-Amazon vendors are losing out to Amazon Prime, and are often providing misleading time estimates.

My experience with Amazon itself is they are no longer regularly "exceeding expectations." They're more often than not now just fulfilling their requirements as written (which is within their rights and not uncommon for business going from a growth to a mature business cycle.) That noted, Sunday delivery and late night ordering with generally no impact to shipping times is still fantastic service.

14. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

I made one prime day purchase of a rechargeable blower and it was delivered in two days. I was shocked. Only delivery issues I've had were items that didn't qualify for prime and they stated up front it would be delayed and gave the expected delivery date. Those too were received by the dates they stated.

One item that didn't qualify for prime was not shipped at all. Was notified about that one.

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I placed an order on Prime Day and received it the next day. For the record, I live pretty much out near the boonies, well past the suburbs. I've had plenty of packages delivered earlier than their estimate, but never had one come late.

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I haven't had any issues with delivery delays from Amazon. I can recall only once since 1999 and it was that FedEx had to call it a day because the snow was just too much on delivery day. Otherwise, its been great for me.

Perhaps the delivery issues are more of a regional thing.

17. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

I ordered a book on Prime Day with free same day shipping at 9am and had it at 7pm.

18. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I buy quite a bit from them and never have issues. Often get my Prime orders next day. Even had packages delivered to an Amazon Locker location near my office and no issues.

20. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

The majority of issues I've had are with 3rd party sellers, not Amazon themselves (although I have to say the spike to $49.99 get free shipping is very annoying now. I am not a Prime member and got an order a day early yesterday.

21. duervo, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016

duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

My anecdotal evidence shows no issue with shipping times. I ordered 3 things on Tuesday (Prime Day), 2 of which were delivered yesterday (just over 24 hours after I ordered them), with the last one scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Chose the default Prime shipping method for all of them. All items sold and shipped by Amazon, not a 3rd-Party.

... whoops, I spoke too soon. UPS just delivered the 3rd item.

22. rneglia macrumors 6502

rneglia

It annoys me when they punt to USPS. It almost always adds an extra day or two.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 14, 2016 ---
    Shipping should be more expensive, considering the environmental cost.

23. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I live in the boondocks too. I generally have not had problems w/ Amazon deliveries although as @rneglia said when postal gets the last leg it tacks on at least one day.

My Prime Day order was promised for today and arrived today in a large box... perhaps not left by the usual driver, since it was put on the unsheltered front porch, in the pouring rain. I felt bad for any courier's driver having to work in this weather but... yuck! the outer carton is practically dissolved.

Fortunately what I ordered was just some Pyrex bowls w/ plastic lids. I took the thing around to the roofed deck in back of the house and I'll extract the contents tomorrow. I'm sure the outer wrap edges have already been invaded by at least a few earwigs and I hate those ugly things.

24. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Not at all. Shipping gets slow during certain periods of the month though. We typically order something at least 3-4x a month.

25. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Agreed. I ordered two things on prime day one said "ships in 4-5 days" but both arrived in separate boxes in the usual 2 days.

For many smaller items they are delivered in white Amazon vans rather than UPS/USPS. The only problem with those vans is that they aren't as familiar with the neighborhood as "regular" shippers the drivers occasionally ask for directions to their next stop.

B