Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As we approach the Macworld Expo Keynote, a few industry news items that may be relevant to Apple:

Amazon, Pepsi and Sony
As previously reported, Amazon and Pepsi are teaming up for a 1 billion song giveaway to be launched during the Superbowl.

Meanwhile, Sony announced that it was the last of the major record labels to join Amazon and is now offering their catalog (DRM free) on Amazon's MP3 Download Store.

Netflix Streaming
In face of rumors that Apple would be entering the movie rental arena, Netflix announced that they are allowing customers to stream an unlimited number of movies for a flat monthly fee (starting at $8.99). This service offers customers access to over 6000 titles for streaming. Prior to this announcement, streaming downloads were subject to usage caps based on your subscription plan.

Article Link

jeejeebu

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Sounds interesting if Netflix will have it work for Apple users, not just Windows.

Seriously. Still waiting on this. Netflix claims it's because Apple makes obtaining the DRMs difficult, somehow, and the studios have only approved the use on Windows machines. Does anyone with any knowledge on the topic want to explain to me how this makes sense?

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Seriously. Still waiting on this. Netflix claims it's because Apple makes obtaining the DRMs difficult, somehow, and the studios have only approved the use on Windows machines. Does anyone with any knowledge on the topic want to explain to me how this makes sense?

Yes, it's simple. Microsoft licenses out the DRM technology for playback with Windows Media Player, and Apple does not for QuickTime. Thus, you're up to your own for playing back DRM'd media on Mac OS X.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Its disappointing that Netflix (streaming) isn't available on the Mac. I would much rather spend ~$10 a month then the $70+ a month I am already spending for all the premium channels on Comcast.

If they open up iTunes rentals to the AppleTV with *good* quality I will be all over it. I already own an AppleTV hooked up to a 61" HD TV. So, the quality needs to be at least DVD level, which I know is a tall order.

MarlboroLite

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
the 13 colonies
Good for Netflix; competition is good for consumers. If Apple really intends to charge 4 bucks for a 24 hour self destructing rental then I say good for Netflix and I hope they force Apple to rethink their ripping off of their customers.

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
Netflix streaming is available on the Mac.

I have been watching the Sci-Fi series The Surface recently using my MacBook and VMWare Fusion. It works fine.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
fill me in on this?

I have used many browsers. unless you are talking running bootcamp or parallels, which is a joke and overkill for such an operation.
Netflix streaming is available on the Mac.

I have been watching the Sci-Fi series The Surface recently using my MacBook and VMWare Fusion. It works fine.

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
I recently got Parallels running on my Intel Mac mini, mainly to try out the Netflix streaming option (as I was "paying" for it with my subscription, I might as well use it!). The movie selection is fairly woeful, but there's the occasional thing that is worthwhile, and the streaming worked quite well. It does have a fairly good bunch of TV shows which I might take advantage of though (Office, 30 Rock, Red Dwarf, Little Britain, etc).

peestandingup

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2006
yeah, Apple has some competition in this area. we'll see what apple has up their sleeve soon though
I dont think Apple will be able to beat this deal. Apple's not one for subscriptions, so I bet it'll be like $2.99 per rental. But, with the ability to play those files briefly on iPods & AppleTV.

For me, thats not worth it. But it may be for some. I'll stick with all you can watch for $9 via Netflix. Just sucks that I have to use BootCamp, but oh well.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Good for Netflix; competition is good for consumers. If Apple really intends to charge 4 bucks for a 24 hour self destructing rental then I say good for Netflix and I hope they force Apple to rethink their ripping off of their customers.

I, too, am happy to see Netflix back out in the lead. When blockbuster copied their service (down to the envelopes!) I was pretty disappointed. Then, when I myself joined blockbuster over netflix when I moved, because of the two in-store rentals that blockbuster gives, I thought Netflix was cooked.

Now I'm back on Netflix, and feel good about myself.

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
I recently got Parallels running on my Intel Mac mini, mainly to try out the Netflix streaming option (as I was "paying" for it with my subscription, I might as well use it!). The movie selection is fairly woeful, but there's the occasional thing that is worthwhile, and the streaming worked quite well. It does have a fairly good bunch of TV shows which I might take advantage of though (Office, 30 Rock, Red Dwarf, Little Britain, etc).

I believe that this annoucement means they have many more titles available then they had in the past. Their page says they have over 6000 movies to watch over the internet, so there's a good chance you will find something you want to watch now.

I have used many browsers. unless you are talking running bootcamp or parallels, which is a joke and overkill for such an operation.

I agree it's overkill, but it works. I have had no luck in getting Sirius steamed to my iMac that I use Fusion to run Sirius player on XP to get my Howard Stern fix...

Flail

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Funny...

As far as the Amazon/Pepsi/Sony thing, I think that's fantastic. I'm sure the vast majority of the songs bought/given away there will land on ipods anyway.

As far as the Netflix thing, that's a little odd. Are they shooting themselves in the foot, rushing to announce something the day before a rumored announcement? If Apple debuts something that makes as big of a splash as AppleTV has (wha?), perhaps Netflix would have been better off holding their position. Whether that's the case or not, I think it's quite a good deal and will help Netflix devour a little more Blockbuster.

Given this news though, I'd love to hear tomorrow that Netflix is now downloadable to AppleTV. I would squeal with joy right up to the point when my girlfriend tells me we can't get an AppleTV. :eek:

SthrnCmfrtr

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
"Hurry hurry hurry, release something before Apple so it doesn't look like we're behind"

If they deliver it (and I'm sure they will), they won. Sure, the hidebound Mac and Linux users won't be able to avail themselves of it, so they'll just have to console themselves with the other 95% of the population.

If Apple's rental deal is as bad as we hear ($4/24 hours), then Netflix needn't have worried. Unlimited movie streaming for such a low price to combat the iTunes rentals is like swatting a fly with a Buick.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that this subscription plan succeeds where iTunes has failed, and if my Apple TV could stream Netflix videos, I wouldn't hesitate to rejoin.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I think if you wanted to use the Netflix service on your Mac you'd just get VMware Fusion and run Windows inside of that. It would pay for itself given the price difference between Apples $4 per move and Netflix's unlimited subscription service.

I have low expectations for this year's announcements. I think one more year that Steve does not talk about Macs at Mac World. Last year it was cell phones this year movie rentals. Next year what? A line of Apple designer clothing?

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
But there is a Mac version of windows media player isn't there?

-Beau

It hasn't been updated or supported in several years and it does not work with protected WM content.

I think one more year that Steve does not talk about Macs at Mac World. Last year it was cell phones this year movie rentals. Next year what? A line of Apple designer clothing?

Are you nuts! Last year it was not cell phones, it was the iPhone, Apple's biggest product since the iPod. Also, have you not heard about the ultraportable rumors going on for months?

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
unless netflix updated their library for streaming, it sucks. I like new releases for streaming or atleast newer.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'm all in favor of having Amazon, iTunes (Plus, please) and Netflix all be strong options that I can use at will.

Just as long as Netflix online movies stop being Windows-only, and start having a better selection--like Netflix offers in DVD form.

termite

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2003
Netflix's move is nothing. The time-cap on movie watching was already pretty large compared to my desire to watch anything. I bet they did this because none of their existing subscribers were coming anywhere near the cap.

Watching on Netflix's really bites compared to Hulu. Though Hulu is advertiser supported, Hulu has better quality, is Mac-compatible, and is a much nicer experience even if you are using Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.