Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

amazon_logo-150x30.jpg

Bloomberg reports that Amazon is currently working with Foxconn on a new smartphone product, one that would compete head-to-head with the iPhone and Android devices.
A smartphone would give Amazon a wider range of low-priced hardware devices that bolster its strategy of making money from digital books, songs and movies. It would help Chief Executive Officer Jeff Bezos -- who made a foray into tablets with the Kindle Fire -- carve out a slice of the market for advanced wireless handsets.
Amazon is also said to be looking to acquire a portfolio of wireless technology patents that would help it stand up to competitors in the market.

Amazon has already generated a considerable amount of interest with its Kindle Fire tablet, a heavily-customized Android device launched late last year. By adding a smartphone to the mix, Amazon would have mobile devices in several different form factors to help spur consumption of the company's extensive library of digital content.

Article Link: Amazon Planning to Take on Apple in Smartphone Market

emvath

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
I love my Kindle Fire, but it isn't even close to stable enough for me to consider using the software (similar at least) in my phone.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Sounds interesting. Though I have to wonder how well it would be adopted considering the market of iOS and Android.

At only the thought of it, I don't think it would be something I would buy.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Well, welcome to the smart phone market... 5 years too late. Maybe it will also create a "considerable amount of interest" - what ever that is. In the end, we will see who actually wil make money with it.

taltal

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
As a matter of fact, I don't think there will be such a thing as a Smartphone Market in a few years. There will be smaller or larger tablets equipped with 4G/LTE internet and Voice over IP numbers.

Phone is going to be just one of several communication apps on the device.

Asia8

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2011
Please, please, please use Android.... we don't need any more new OS for phones right now.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Sounds interesting. Though I have to wonder how well it would be adopted considering the market of iOS and Android.

At only the thought of it, I don't think it would be something I would buy.

competition is always a good thing... well almost always. I have to agree with you, hard to believe Amazon can enter at this point. But will be interesting to watch.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
It's one thing to have a diverse set of options for computers or tablets that are not tied to a service provider, but it is an entirely different and scary scenario to have diversity that lack cohesiveness and you need to go to a cell carrier or provider.
With iOS and to some extent Google's nexus program, power has finally been wrestled from carriers into the hands of the consumer. Forking android, other android variants, even a Facebook phone threaten to spread OEMs even thinner and relinquish to more demands of the carriers and crapware. Why else would the carriers be so interested in pushing a 3rd alternative like Windows phone or their own OS built on Mozilla's gecko? Because with confusion in the marketplace they return to a stronger position where consumers turn to them for solutions.
I vote NO on Amazon doing this.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I wonder what kind of issues amazon may run into with the carriers. The US carriers caused Vizio to kill its smartphone off before it ever made it to the market because they are so difficult to work with. Hopefully amazon can make a great product but I don't see how it will be very different from any other heavily skinned android phone at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.