• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

094405-kindle-ipad_500.png

Following its release of a Kindle app for the Mac last week, Amazon is preparing a Kindle app for the iPad according to The New York Times.

Amazon has posted a page on its site describing upcoming Kindle apps for Tablet Computers, where the iPad is specifically mentioned. The iPad app will have the same functionality as the one currently available for the iPhone, including Amazon's Whispersync technology for syncing bookmarks, notes, last page read, and more across multiple devices.

Also mentioned is the ability for users to shop for more Kindle eBooks. Amazon does not state, however, whether this functionality will be built into the iPad app, which would put it in direct competition with Apple's iBooks app that will offer the ability to purchase ebooks through the iTunes store. In the iPhone Kindle app, a link to purchase eBooks is provided that opens the Safari browser to an iPhone-optimized version of the Kindle eBook store. eBooks purchased there are downloaded automatically to the iPhone the next time the Kindle app is opened.

The iPad Kindle app, demonstrated to a New York Times reporter last week, will offer virtual page turning and various ways to present an eBook library to a user, including one "where large images of book covers are set against a backdrop of a silhouetted figure reading under a tree" and the "sun’s position in that image varies with the time of day."

According to the report, Amazon has stated that it will not take advantage of Apple's official invitation to developers to submit iPad apps and will instead wait to test it on an iPad after its April 3rd release. Amazon has also disclosed that it is not one of the entities that received advance access to an iPad for development and testing.

Amazon's acknowledgement that an iPad application is in development follows a similar disclosure from Barnes & Noble earlier this month.

Article Link: Amazon Preparing Kindle App for iPad

bnerd

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
I love how the iPad stands out from the rest of the group. Hey Free advertisement from one of the world's largest online retailer.

Comment

CallistoJag

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2007
England
I hope it comes to iPad, cheaper books and ability to sync with my current Kindle library puts this way ahead of iBooks in my world! :D

Comment

wallinbl

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2003
Good. It's good that there will be many options for eBooks and no limitation imposed by Apple (assuming Apple doesn't hammer this). I'd like one device that can read any eBook (even if I have to suffer through having multiple eBook apps on that device)

Comment

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
I think this will be disallowed by Apple, but I think that will make them look bad.
I think consumers are getting a bit fed up with Apple not allowing things just because they'd rather you use their own systems.

Yes, you don't have to buy the iPad. Yes, if you don't want to use iTunes you don't need to get an iPhone.
But, if we had no choice but to use iTunes on our Macs because Apple banned Realplayer or whatever, that would be a step too far, I'm sure we'd all agree on that. I think they should make the iPad more open and closer to the Mac as a software platform than the closed iPhone. I think that could make it far more popular, in people's opinions not just is sales.

Comment

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
I still like the idea of iBooks using ePub and knowing that we can import other ePub books from elsewhere into iTunes to sync. It's always good to have options, but I probably won't use the Kindle app. I tried it on the iPhone, but I preferred apps like Stanza.

Comment

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
I hope it comes to iPad, cheaper books and ability to sync with my current Kindle library puts this way ahead of iBooks in my world! :D

I see no reason why Apple will not allow this app as they already allow the same app for the iPhone and the iPod touch. ;)

Comment

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
I'd rather buy my eBooks from Amazon than Apple. I don't like how the current iPhone app links into Safari to buy books though, rather than doing it from within the app.

Comment

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Well, I guess Amazon feels like if you can't beat them, join them. Smart idea as they know the iPad will be the most successful tablet in tablet history. UNFORTUNATELY, Apple will reject this app, as they should because it will directly compete with the iBooks store. If the iPad had been established for many years and then Amazon offered this, there might be a chance, but Apple wants their iBooks sold and I can't blame them. If I were Apple I would turn down Amazon's app too. From a business standpoint it wouldn't make sense for Apple to allow it. From a customer standpoint it would be great, but let's not count on it.

Comment

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!

E-mail that to Steve Jobs and get the following reply.

"No. Apple's iPad iBookstore so much better!" :D (sent from my iPhone) :apple:

That's right Apple is at war with Google not Amazon. Steve is standing on the shoulders of Amazon's Kindle as Apple's weight buries it in the mire.

Comment

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I see no reason why Apple will not allow this app as they already allow the same app for the iPhone and the iPod touch. ;)

Apple has rejected apps for duplicating the functionality of the built-in apps. Kindle on iPhone/Touch doesn't overlap anything, but it would overlap iBooks on the iPad.

I think/hope Apple will relent on this one and approve it. They've surely got enough anti-trust heat on themselves already. And they've got to decide whether they are more interested in selling books or devices.

Comment

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007

There's currently no iBook store for the iPod Touch and iPhone either. Your logic is flawed.

Comment

dzoolander

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2007
Why should Apple allow the Kindle App on the iPhone? They are a competitor. Will the new Kindle store with Apps Allow the Apple ebook reader? Can you purchase music via iTunes on Amazon? The answers are all self evident.

Comment

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
Apple has rejected apps for duplicating the functionality of the built-in apps. Kindle on iPhone/Touch doesn't overlap anything, but it would overlap iBooks on the iPad.

I think/hope Apple will relent on this one and approve it. They've surely got enough anti-trust heat on themselves already. And they've got to decide whether they are more interested in selling books or devices.

iBooks is not a built-in app. To be sure it's Apple's preferred way for people to read books on it, but there are at least 2 reasons I see for Apple not to block the Kindle and B&N apps.

1. It's one more reason for Kindle and Nook owners to buy an iPad. You can read all your kindle books on it!

2. If it's between selling additional ebooks or selling additional iPads, Apple would most likely prefer to see the latter occur.

Comment

wallinbl

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2003

iBooks is not a built in app. I wonder if they did that on purpose so that they wouldn't be killing off the other existing eBook apps.

Comment

pjgeer

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2007
iBooks is not a built in App, it will be a choice app just like iDisk and Remote.

sorry for the duplicate post, I type slowly. :eek:
Pj

Comment

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004

iBooks isn't a built-in app.

Edit: wow, beat to the punch a few times over. I'd delete if I could!

Comment

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
The ability to read Kindle books on an iPad will sell iPads. The ability to read Kindle books on an iPad will defuse anti trust issues a bit. I would be very surprised if Amazon had not talked to people at Apple before the announcement.

Prediction: The Apple app will have a better UI and better functionality. It will be far more polished. The Amazon device will have far more books at launch.

Comment

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
This is great news. I'm looking forward to reading on the iPad (let's see how reading on an LCD does), but this way it doesn't rule out a future purchase of an e-ink device (be it kindle, nook, or a future hybrid apple device)... Apple would be very smart here to allow the other sellers to directly sell into the device... customers will love having the choice, publishers will love competition, and apple will enjoy more hardware sales.

Comment

gfiz

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2009
Virginia
Apple's goal is to sell iPads. Its main functionality is a tablet computer, not solely an e-book reader. If they determine they can make more money with the added sales of iPads with this app, than they lose from lost ibook sales...they will do it. And I'm inclined to believe they benefit more than they're hurt from the addition of this app. People that have Kindles, aren't and weren't going to buy an iPad to use as an ebook reader. They may now buy an iPad at some point if they know the interoperability is there. And people that don't already have Kindles, aren't going to buy an iPad and then use the Kindle app. Seems obvious to me. The only question is will Steve's ego get in the way?

Comment

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Why should Apple allow the Kindle App on the iPhone? They are a competitor. Will the new Kindle store with Apps Allow the Apple ebook reader? Can you purchase music via iTunes on Amazon? The answers are all self evident.

Because Apple want to sell hardware. I'm not remotely interested in buying the hardware as an eBook reader if they start playing games with other people's content. Besides which, at this point the bookstore is US only, so it wouldn't be competing with anything outside the US.

Comment

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Excellent post. This is really it in a nutshell. I think they will go for devices and approve the app. People will eventually see the superiority of the iBook Reader apps design and function over the Kindle app. Prices for the books will be the same in a year or so on every site. The publishers and authors will be in control of their product as they should be. Everything will be subscription based in time. Amazon can't design an iPad killer for e-reading and this move is the only smart one they have. Apple won't try to step on them.

It will come down to the user experience. Who's product do you enjoy the most to view your material. Books, newspapers, magazines etc... It will take a while. Maybe even longer than a year. In the end it will be Apple.

This time next year we will be commenting on the success of the iPad, it's iBooks app, and the growth of the iTunes world (wait till the SC Server Farm comes online baby)!

Choice is always good. However, Apple has every right to protect it's products in any way it chooses. Don't like it? Choose another product.

Just remember as you bash Apple. Google is the largest threat to the freedom of the internet in the history of modern communication. People better hope Apple and Microsoft temper Googles rush to swallow the entire world.

Also, until they pull out of China how can anyone defend them and persecute Apple?:apple:

Comment

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
I still will never buy an iPad but Great news! Giving people the ability to access their books in multiple devices (PC, MAC, Phone, iPad/Slate, Kindle) is a fantastic way of doing this.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.