Amazon Prime... thoughts?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMJustAGuy, Jun 23, 2011.

1. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I never even considered it until I read this on their home page just now. I do order a fair amount from them. I didn't even know they streamed movies. Obviously it will be based upon how much you think you use it, but I want to know your personal opinion. Do you think it's worth it for $79/year?

Attached Files:

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I think so, but it really depends on how much you ship with Amazon. Also, isn't their movie streaming cheaper than netflix, even with the shipping benefits thrown in?

3. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Seems like it. $79 annually comes out to about $6.50 a month. Now comes time for a bit of research, though. How good is their selection?

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

You cam look it up for what in particular you want, but I have heard that the quality is not as good as netflix and it's only SD. Maybe it has changed since then, but I doubt it.

Edit: it does seem that they have added HD. I don't see why you wouldn't take this over Netflix.

5. singlestick macrumors regular

I think it is a good value if you order a lot of stuff from them. I guess you could look at your order history and see if it would be of value. I had forgot about the movie streaming service, and will check it out.

6. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Well I'm not looking to replace netflix, just add on. I wouldn't give up netflix for a while as I have become extremely satisfied with their selection as of late.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

The ONLY reason I have an Amazon prime account is last August they gave it free for a year to anyone who had an edu address. Needless to say I jumped on it. I will NOT be renewing it but it is nice getting the free 2 day shipping. Currently anything my family needs to order threw amazon goes threw my account so I have gotten some rather odd adds lately as my shopping history is pretty messed up but meh.

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you can share your prime membership with four additional family members (though, really, you can buddy up with four friends). only the primary can do the streaming, but $80 split five ways is pretty cheap per person.

9. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

:eek: I didn't know that!

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

i have amazon prime. we order a lot of stuff from amazon, so it's actually pretty good. it's up to you and what you normally order. prime only applies to amazon shipped stuff, so if you do a lot of third party stuff like books ... then maybe it's not worth it.

i don't think we are going to renew next year since amazon, more often than not, has "free super saver shipping" or some other promotional shipping discount with an item that's sent through Amazon.

11. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

another thing i absolutely love about amazon prime is there's no minimum purchase needed for two day shipping like there is with the "super saver" option.

12. StvenH90 macrumors regular

I have it, but a little trick. You can add up to 5 "family members" to your plan, and they don't even have to be in same shipping address. So a while back I signed up 5 random members for $16 on different forums and had my membership for free. No one has ever had a problem and it worked (Not only saved a bunch of money).

Edit: Maybe it was four, read above.

13. Sanveann macrumors 6502

Sanveann

We're on my in-laws' prime account and LOVE it. We use the subscribe and save feature a lot, and save a ton. Amazon's prices on electronics are usually pretty good, especially as compared to Worst Buy, so we buy a lot of that stuff online too.

14. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

We've had it for a couple of years, and have made extensive use of the free 2 day shipping. On several occasions we've taken advantage of the $3.99 overnight option and received last minute items and gifts that otherwise wouldn't have arrived on time. It is a nice feature, but even at our high use level I don't think that we get our $80 worth from that alone. I could probably handle downgrading to free super saver shipping. We're considering doing just that and trying out Netflix for a year.

15. palpatine macrumors 68040

We've had it for two years. It was a better deal for us when I used to buy DTB, but with the Kindle and iPad, I haven't bought a book in a really long time. Still, it is nice to have two day shipping for most items, and I have occasionally upgraded to next day air.

The free movie service is only useful if you like old or poorly made films. I think I have found maybe two or three that I wanted to watch. If they don't improve that, we'll probably not renew next time, because we just don't order enough stuff anymore to make it worth it.

16. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Wow, I didn't know that this was an option. Thanks for the info! I tried out a one-month trial of Amazon Prime once upon a time and while I liked the idea (no minimum order, quick "free" shipping) I didn't think we'd use it enough to warrant the $80 membership fee. I might need to see if some friends and family members want to get in on a group membership like this.

17. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I think you'll really enjoy Netflix as their selection keeps getting better.

18. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I've had prime for 2 years now. Best money I've ever spent. I order EVERYTHING from Amazon. Even without the streaming (have netflix) I feel my 80 dollars is well spent.

19. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

The movie selection sucks - it's nowhere near Netflix. On Netflix you can go on and find something you'd want to watch in a minute. On Amazon it's like, "that's it?"

The only reason to get Prime is to get the 2 day shipping. And that's only useful if you order off Amazon a LOT. I've got the Amazon credit card and I buy 90% of X-Mas gifts and birthday gifts off Amazon as well as expensive things where I don't want to pay for tax. With the gifts especially, the 2 day shipping helps. I have my Goddaughter's birthday next weekend and I know I can order a gift for her on Monday and get it by Thursday and not pay for shipping. Between not paying for shipping and not paying for tax, the Prime membership eventually pays for itself.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I like it but I also wonder if I'm wasting my money. I do order from them quite a bit and I like the 2-day shipping, but I'm not sure I really need it. As for their movies, I feel the selection is lacking.

21. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Amazon Student is free to anybody with a .edu email address and you get the Amazon Prime shipping benefits. However, the student account doesn't have streaming. With Netflix I never need it anyways.

It is just for a year though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

22. Biff..., Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

Its worth it, if only for the video's you can watch, the selection of video's is slowly improving and will soon be up to par with what Netflix offers(just finished watching the Terminator Sarah Conner series). Plus you can share the shipping portion with up to four people, I share it with my three sisters. and we split the cost four ways, so in the end I end up paying $20 a year.