Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After nearly two years of being absent from the fourth generation Apple TV's app lineup, Amazon Prime Video is reportedly on its way to Apple's set-top box and could arrive for Prime subscribers to download and watch videos as soon as this summer. The news comes from Recode, citing sources familiar with the plans of each company who said that Apple and Amazon are "close to an agreement" in regards to Amazon Prime Video finally being available on Apple TV.

Specifically, Amazon employees are expecting the app to appear on the Apple TV App Store sometime in the third quarter of 2017. The sources at the heart of the story didn't divulge what compromises or agreements might have happened behind the scenes for Amazon to come to Apple TV, but those watching and hearing about the backroom meetings believe that such a deal was made "at a high level," meaning company CEOs Tim Cook and Jeff Bezos themselves came to mutual terms to make the deal happen.

amazon-prime-apple-tv-800x517.jpg
Amazon and Apple may have reached a truce. The tech giants, who are increasingly competing for customers' time, eyeballs and money, are close to an agreement to bring an Amazon video app to Apple's Apple TV set-top box, according to people familiar with the two companies.
One year ago, Bezos briefly discussed Amazon and Apple TV at Recode's Code Conference, stating that Amazon always seeks out "acceptable business terms" before it brings its video app to streaming devices. On Apple's side of things, Eddy Cue mentioned in February that Amazon is always welcome to join Apple TV "any time they like," and said that he hoped they will do so "sometime soon."

In late 2015, Amazon stopped selling Apple TV devices on Amazon.com, further solidifying the idea that Amazon Prime Video might never arrive on Apple TV. Now, it appears that Apple and Amazon have reached some kind of mutual agreement, the details of which remain unclear.

Late last year, Amazon did launch an app for the Apple TV, but it wasn't for streaming movies and television from Amazon Prime, and only allowed users to search for and browse items on Amazon.com.

Article Link: Amazon Prime Video App Reportedly Coming to Apple TV Sometime This Summer

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Bezos also says there they didn't want to sell the Apple TV because people would buy it expecting Prime Video was on it, and then return it. I don't know about that.

Reactions: stewpac and thasan

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
This might get me to sign up for Amazon Prime now.
[doublepost=1493994373][/doublepost]
Sweet goodness!

To me the only, thing the Apple TV was missing. Yes. I airplay. but the app will be much handier.

Also, we just watched "Fortitude" on Amazon Prime. If you like mysteries in small isolated towns. I rec this show!

We still need a BTN2GO app.

big-ted

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2013
UK
Lets hope you can subscribe to Amazon outside of the App Store and Apple allow Amazon to have a banner telling subscribers where to go to subscribe

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I'm sure the NFL agreement they have is forcing their hand to more viewers. More viewers = more ads = more money. I for one would like to see an amazon prime video app.

Ya, I think the NFL deal has a lot to do with this. This is not so much Amazon and Apple making up, it's Amazon conceding because they want more people to watch the NFL.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Dumped amazon prime last year. Too late to swallow the pride amazon.
Im not gonna go back.

I'm still a member, however I dont think I'll renew. Most local B&M stores around me price match them anyways. Not finding them to be too beneficial at the moment. I'm not into the Amazon ecosystem either. So it's becoming harder to want to pay the membership fee.

Reactions: thasan and WWPD

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
I'll wait for it to actually be released before getting too excited, but this would likely get me to finally move from our Apple TV 3 to either the 4 or 5 (if it's coming soon).

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Well, I guess better late than never.

I remember the rumor back in 2015 saying that the Amazon Video was coming to the ATV4 before the end of the year. Which of course never happened.

This will be a very welcomed addition to my somewhat disappointing ATV4.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
ok - but amazon streams some cool shows in 4K, with my 4K tv's built in smart function does that - but the apple tv doesn't.

and maybe I can't tell, etc. etc. etc.... but it's still stupid that the apple TV does have the extra $2 in parts to allow that option to work and make me feel better about my system.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
While I'm not optimistic (been burnt too many times waiting for this), this will be great to simplify my home setup. I have a fire stick, but only very rarely use it. This should be incorporated into the universal TV app while they are at it.
Chromecast support would be great, but I'd be happy with AirPlay just stealing some of the disconnected playback queue ideas. AirPlay is very inconsistent in it current form. I never know if a video will stop when my screen goes to sleep.

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
I wonder if the Apple Echo or Apple Google Home knock off, whatever it's called, it going to be an Apple TV/Echo hybrid. If that's the case, this would be a welcome addition. Would totally make me think about getting one. Honestly, not being able to get Amazon is one of the big reasons I haven't gotten an Apple TV yet. My Roku gives me access to everything I need. Love that thing.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Sweet goodness!

To me the only, thing the Apple TV was missing. Yes. I airplay. but the app will be much handier.

Also, we just watched "Fortitude" on Amazon Prime. If you like mysteries in small isolated towns. I rec this show!
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely try it. I LOVE Amazon Prime Originals and am watching them almost exclusively. What good programs they have! I'm into "Suits" at the moment and LOVED Man in the high Castle. I can't wait for that series with Billy Bob Thorton to come back. (forgot the name right now)

Reactions: VMMan

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Sweet, I can finally use Amazon Prime video for the first time since I got a Prime membership in 2012. I don't like watching longer shows on my mobile device, and quite frankly I was pissed off when they snubbed their nose at Apple users and even went as far as removing the Apple TV from their store. So I ended up ignoring them and sometimes forget I even have a membership. Although I kind of wish I could get a Prime membership without video for half the price. I barely have enough time to watch Netflix, Hulu and DirecTV Now as it is. I have no idea why it's bundled with my Prime service which I use to get free shipping and extra cash back on my Amazon card.

What are the best shows on Amazon? I'll have to check some out whenever it's released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.